[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Could you post some screens? Did you get the latest version of EVE overhaul?

Ah, worked out where I went wrong! I was confused by the structure of the EVE ZIP archive from the GitHub repo. What I was doing was extracting the /EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/ directory from inside EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul.zip to my GameData directory, but that only contains the shaders, not the DLLs. What I needed to do was open the x86-Release.zip archive that's inside EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul.zip and then extract the /GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/ directory from inside that. I have to say that is non-obvious, at least for people that haven't installed EVE Overhaul before, and there's no instructions in the EVE repo.

Anyway I can now open the EVE GUI with Alt-E and activate clouds, etc.! Now I just need to fix that RSS config thing.

Hi, first of all I'd like to say thanks Pingopete for doing this, I now find it hard to play RSS/RO without your amazing enhancement.

I did however run into some issues with the recent version, hope you can help me out:

1. This is something I've been running into also in the previous version (after pressing Alt+E on the launch pad):

http://i.imgur.com/eV8E2z0.png

is this as it should be or is there something wrong with my install?

Sorry I missed this, yeah it's because the windows version run on outdated EVE .dlls (for a number of reasons)

Ah, worked out where I went wrong! I was confused by the structure of the EVE ZIP archive from the GitHub repo. What I was doing was extracting the /EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/ directory from inside EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul.zip to my GameData directory, but that only contains the shaders, not the DLLs. What I needed to do was open the x86-Release.zip archive that's inside EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Overhaul.zip and then extract the /GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/ directory from inside that. I have to say that is non-obvious, at least for people that haven't installed EVE Overhaul before, and there's no instructions in the EVE repo.

Anyway I can now open the EVE GUI with Alt-E and activate clouds, etc.! Now I just need to fix that RSS config thing.

Ah ok that's good to hear it wasn't on my end :P Ok I'll try to simplify the Readme some more.. but tbf this isn't (hopefully isn't) being advertized as a fully working or easy-to-get-running mod, it's literally just my current project for those who are keen to try it. That kind of stability and reliability will come in time as the EVE-overhaul is finalized :)

Oh and about the older RVE version - basically you don't need RVE to overwrite the RSS config files anymore as this is done by the RVE.cfg that's located in gamedata/RVE/... so if you got LinuxRVE before this was changed it will have overwritten the RSS configs and these should really now be replaced with the original ones from RealSolarSystem mod. Hope that makes sense

Edited by pingopete

Ah ok that's good to hear it wasn't on my end :P Ok I'll try to simplify the Readme some more.. but tbf this isn't (hopefully isn't) being advertized as a fully working or easy-to-get-running mod, it's literally just my current project for those who are keen to try it. That kind of stability and reliability will come in time as the EVE-overhaul is finalized :)

Understood, and in any case it's really the EVE Overhaul repo that is missing documentation, not the RVE one.

Oh and about the older RVE version - basically you don't need RVE to overwrite the RSS config files anymore as this is done by the RVE.cfg that's located in gamedata/RVE/... so if you got LinuxRVE before this was changed it will have overwritten the RSS configs and these should really now be replaced with the original ones from RealSolarSystem mod. Hope that makes sense

Yep, reinstalled RSS and the very latest RVE and now it's all working (apart from the known issues mentioned in the readme) :) I've got to say that this looks absolutely beautiful, you're doing great work here!

screenshot7-X2.png

screenshot11-X2.png

screenshot18-X2.png

Understood, and in any case it's really the EVE Overhaul repo that is missing documentation, not the RVE one.

Yep, reinstalled RSS and the very latest RVE and now it's all working (apart from the known issues mentioned in the readme) :) I've got to say that this looks absolutely beautiful, you're doing great work here!

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-RQMR5Ss/0/X2/screenshot7-X2.png

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-wX5rhQG/0/X2/screenshot11-X2.png

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-z6gBx5T/0/X2/screenshot18-X2.png

That's great to see, thanks! :)

pingopete, I just want to thank you.

I usually stop playing KSP until you mod is ready, but this time is absolutely amazing. I never took screenshots so amazing.

Let me ask a question. Why don't you CKAN your git repo? I know RVE is still not ready (will it ever be? :P), but there are a lot of users who like it (and install it) anyway.

Personally it's the only mod I install manually.

pingopete, I just want to thank you.

I usually stop playing KSP until you mod is ready, but this time is absolutely amazing. I never took screenshots so amazing.

Let me ask a question. Why don't you CKAN your git repo? I know RVE is still not ready (will it ever be? :P), but there are a lot of users who like it (and install it) anyway.

Personally it's the only mod I install manually.

Yeah it's definitely something I'd like to do eventually as it will (hopefully) be provided next to RealSolarSystem, so much of it though is currently incomplete it just wouldn't feel right releasing it as a "mod" which most people assume to be at least mostly done :P Thanks though :)

Hi pingopete,

and thank you for this awesomeness, the pics make my mouth water in anticipation... alas, it does just sort-of work for me, cause I like to play with the SmallSolarSystem config by Niemand303 and RVE is of course configured for the much bigger planets of "real" RSS. I had a peak at the configs 'cause I wanted to scale down this eye watering beauty. Is it possible that I just have to reduce the innerRadius and outerRadius and near and farClip by a factor of ten to get it working as intended?

Thanks for your patience and Cheers

Edited by E.Nygma

In the EVE Gui (ALT+E) do you have an atmosphere? So you loaded up the game went to a ship/loaded a ship on the runway/LP then switched via map to an orbiting satellite (that's the safest method I know), and didn't hit apply when in orbit?

No, I loaded a game, went to launchpad and did all the Alt+E things (applied all the clouds, the atmospheres and the Aurora) there. Then I went to orbit to see how everything looks and I got the grey spot seen on the screenshot. I have a couple of atmosphere files(?) to apply after hitting ALT+E (IIRC atmosphereB, atmosphereW and may a third one, can't remember now).

I got the idea that this may be due to RP-0 (RVE and RP-0 seem to be incompatible - one uses Earth, the other Kerbin - I know I can change Earth to Kerbin in RP-0 to make them compatible, is it possible to change Kerbin to Earth in RVE?). So I deleted RP-0, got to loading screen and, as always, got white continents (but I assume this is normal, because I also had them in the previous version):

np8hWN3.jpg

Then I decided to start a completely new game, went to the launchpad - Alt+E apply clouds, atmospheres, aurora and launched a new rocket (used a cheat to get orbit-capable engines instantly) and got this:

kUDsH8X.jpg

and a bit higher up this:

cqgCCfI.jpg

Then, after passing the Karman line everything started to look perfectly, no problems etc.

I then went back to the tracking station and accessed the rocket from there and got this:

8jHr4rQ.jpg

So everything seems more or less fine when I launch a new rocket, problems start when I try to load it from the tracking station. That is not so bad, the only problem for me is lack of compatibility with RP-0.

And, Jesus, those linux screenshots look absolutely amazing, I am seriously contemplating installing Linux just to have your enhancement. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by kuba1410

I got clouds and stuff working under Linux with yesterday's version (overwriting the configs in RSS and all). Lots of graphical glitches (I think mostly from Scatterer), but that's to be expected. The infamous circles in the night sky, citylights in wrong places etc. But overall, it worked for me!

However, RVE conflicts with RP-0 due to Earth being renamed back to Kerbin, so for now I removed it again. Or is that fixed with today's fixes? I might just try it again!

I'm working on bringing all the features from the linux version to windows but it will require quite some optimisation for it to even run.

Does everyone get this when running the linux version? Or has anyone got it working?

Realized I misspoke. I tried the Linux version, but on windows. It did mostly work but there were some odd effects, like detail textures were an odd color low in the atmosphere, and terrain detail textures only worked from scaledspace if you launched, not if you switched to an object already there. But it does have effects.

And, Jesus, those linux screenshots look absolutely amazing, I am seriously contemplating installing Linux just to have your enhancement. Thanks again for your help.

Far be it from me to discourage people from trying Linux but perhaps worth bearing in mind that the Linux screenshots are to some extent cherry picked. The Linux version is WIP too, and is subject to some of the same glitches. In one mission I think I spotted most of the known issues listed in the Linux version Readme.txt file, e.g.

Clouds are sometimes glitchy when close

screenshot10-X2.png

Rainbow coloured ground haze

screenshot8-X2.png

Lines of various types appearing where they shouldn't

screenshot13-X2.png

Scatterer atmosphere reverts to Kerbin sized in map mode

screenshot15-X2.png

Sun faintly visible through the Earth (only happened once)

screenshot16-X2.png

Ground can be oddly bright (that's Africa, not Antartica)

screenshot19-X2.png

Flickering and banding of cloud under some conditions (z-fighting?)

screenshot27-X2.png

Also I don't seem to be able to enable city lights through the EVE GUI, and the terrain effects don't seem to showing up much either. Still, I'm happy to put up with these occasional glitches in exchange for the beautiful Scatterer and cloud effects.

Edited by DrHotdog

Far be it from me to discourage people from trying Linux but perhaps worth bearing in mind that the Linux screenshots are to some extent cherry picked. The Linux version is WIP too, and is subject to some of the same glitches. In one mission I think I spotted most of the known issues listed in the Linux version Readme.txt file, e.g.

Clouds are sometimes glitchy when close

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-8t5LZwV/0/X2/screenshot10-X2.png

Rainbow coloured ground haze

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-gkM4Hkk/0/X2/screenshot8-X2.png

Lines of various types appearing where they shouldn't

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-BjrNrWd/0/X2/screenshot13-X2.png

Scatterer atmosphere reverts to Kerbin sized in map mode

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-mBd6XpX/0/X2/screenshot15-X2.png

Sun faintly visible through the Earth (only happened once)

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-4nQW4pg/0/X2/screenshot16-X2.png

Ground can be oddly bright (that's Africa, not Antartica)

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-ftV4vt3/0/X2/screenshot19-X2.png

Flickering and banding of cloud under some conditions (z-fighting?)

https://drhotdog.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff/i-sz5cdPX/0/X2/screenshot27-X2.png

Also I don't seem to be able to enable city lights through the EVE GUI, and the terrain effects don't seem to showing up much either. Still, I'm happy to put up with these occasional glitches in exchange for the beautiful Scatterer and cloud effects.

Appart from the clouds, those are all issues with scatterer mainly due to it running on OpenGl that I can't fix atm. Scatterer also doesn't seem to work well with the 2D ScaledSpace Earth texture making it REALLY bright, I'm tryna work on something to fix this.

But yeah you're right they certainly are cherry picked to show the best bits

Those lines can usually be removed by opening the Scatterer GUI (alt F11 - i think) and applying the aniso option near the bottom

- - - Updated - - -

I got clouds and stuff working under Linux with yesterday's version (overwriting the configs in RSS and all). Lots of graphical glitches (I think mostly from Scatterer), but that's to be expected. The infamous circles in the night sky, citylights in wrong places etc. But overall, it worked for me!

However, RVE conflicts with RP-0 due to Earth being renamed back to Kerbin, so for now I removed it again. Or is that fixed with today's fixes? I might just try it again!

This is helpful I had no idea there was an incompatability with RP-0 due to naming.. City lights in wrong place though? ..that shouldn't be happening

Edited by pingopete

- - - Updated - - -

This is helpful I had no idea there was an incompatability with RP-0 due to naming.. City lights in wrong place though? ..that shouldn't be happening

I'll have to doublecheck the citylights thing before sending you on a bugfixing rampage... I was trying out so many combinations of visual mods during the last couple days that my brain may misremember things. I *believe* I have seen citylights under the water near the KSC, but I'm no longer 100% sure.

As I am currently getting my feet wet with RP-0, RVE killing most contracts is a tad inconvenient, so for now I'm back at old EVE (7-4) with Astronomer's Clouds and Scatterer, which seems to be the only combination that sort of works with RSS. I'll try out RVE soon again; if you're planning to fix the RP-0 issue anytime soon, I'll wait for that, otherwise I'll set up a second install for sandbox games and RVE.

I'll have to doublecheck the citylights thing before sending you on a bugfixing rampage... I was trying out so many combinations of visual mods during the last couple days that my brain may misremember things. I *believe* I have seen citylights under the water near the KSC, but I'm no longer 100% sure.

As I am currently getting my feet wet with RP-0, RVE killing most contracts is a tad inconvenient, so for now I'm back at old EVE (7-4) with Astronomer's Clouds and Scatterer, which seems to be the only combination that sort of works with RSS. I'll try out RVE soon again; if you're planning to fix the RP-0 issue anytime soon, I'll wait for that, otherwise I'll set up a second install for sandbox games and RVE.

I think this is mainly just down to the transparency of the water, there are certainly fixes for this.

I'm currently working on a naming fix so we can have Earth not Kerbin, unfortunately however there are a number of mods that don't like this still e.g. Scatterer

Just wanted to comment to say that I played KSP with RVE on a 4k monitor for the first time and it is pretty much the greatest thing I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.

Just wanted to comment to say that I played KSP with RVE on a 4k monitor for the first time and it is pretty much the greatest thing I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! Any chance of some sweet 4k screenshots? :D

Sure! I tried to get nice looking screenshots where CRT tearing and lack of detail textures weren't so apparent, but honestly it looks amazing regardless. The clouds are especially awesome. Hopefully these can be appreciated by people with smaller screens.

http://imgur.com/a/1xTd6

Damn why is that bug still happening in the horizon?! Is this the windows version? Also did you try hitting apply before launching on the Launch pad?

EDIT: Thanks for the pics though! Sorry that bug just annoys meh :P I only get screens at a mortal 1080p :L

Edited by pingopete

Damn why is that bug still happening in the horizon?! Is this the windows version? Also did you try hitting apply before launching on the Launch pad?

EDIT: Thanks for the pics though! Sorry that bug just annoys meh :P I only get screens at a mortal 1080p :L

There is a option in the settings.cfg to upscale screenshots. Change the number at the end of SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE =

The horizon bug happens to me too. I'm using the 64-bit workaround on Windows 10.

Edited by Shurikeeen

Got this the 1.04 version working a few days ago, and I just can't enjoy RSS propperly without this mod.

http://imgur.com/a/z0ApI

What OS?

Yeah, it's the windows version. I don't think I hit apply, so I'll try that out, though the only bug that is really a dealbreaker for me right now is lack of detail textures in scaledspace.

Further Edit: I tried the "alt-e apply" thing and it seemed to fix the horizon going black issue, as well as the "giant translucent blue cube in scaledspace" issue.

Edited by avi

There is a option in the settings.cfg to upscale screenshots. Change the number at the end of SCREENSHOT_SUPERSIZE =

The horizon bug happens to me too. I'm using the 64-bit workaround on Windows 10.

Sweet thanks for that, had no idea it was possible :)

Yeah, it's the windows version. I don't think I hit apply, so I'll try that out, though the only bug that is really a dealbreaker for me right now is lack of detail textures in scaledspace.

Further Edit: I tried the "alt-e apply" thing and it seemed to fix the horizon going black issue, as well as the "giant translucent blue cube in scaledspace" issue.

Yeah that's a bug that was present in the older DLL's being used, rbray fixed it in his latest overhauls which I'll updated windows for at some point soon :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.