[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I can't seem to get the remote command red dot to pop up when the command craft is out of focus anymore. Tried to rebuild the station, it still doesn't want to work. When I fly the station the red dot is there but not when flying another vessel.

thanks this explains why my signal is dropping out i assumed that the link range was only based on the range of the strongest antenna between two sources. guess i need a low orbit comms array for drone flights

edit: this actually explains why not all my sats are linked, i think the com 32's need a range increase to 6mil as they are the highest orbiting omni antenna.

my reasoning for this is because if you plan on going with a 2 axis array at geo kerbin and you will have one axis above the geo kerbin orbit the distance between your sat at 90 degree intervals can go above the 5mm limit. there should be a bit more wiggle room for this type of set up other wise you have to up the number of sats on that orbit which isnt ideal since you already have 4 and increasing launches is kind of a nuisance given those variables i think its reasonable to request a range buff to 6mm for com 32 to give more flexibility for gko arrays

I went for the option to have a geosat triangle above KSC with 5Mn omni and a ring of sats at 7Mm that can all talk to each other in a ring. This gives Mun coverage with Omi antenna. Then I put a couple of polar sats at 8Mm for system coverage.

@kerbas ad astra : How do you enable the boost for mismatched sats?

The link to the settings instructions is dead

http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/modders/settings/#alternative-rules does not work.

Do I just change `standard` to `root` for the range model in the settings file?

Edited by John FX

The settings instructions link is here: https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/

You can change RangeModelType to "Root", and they also suggest changing RangeMultiplier to 0.5 so that two 500-km antennas still need to be within 500 km of each other.

I also just noticed that there is also a setting to allow multiple omnidirectional antennas to add their ranges (or some fraction of their ranges) together, like beamforming antennas in the real world.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
Fixed for case-sensitivity.

The settings instructions link is here: https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/

You can change RangeModelType to "root", and they also suggest changing RangeMultiplier to 0.5 so that two 500-km antennas still need to be within 500 km of each other.

I also just noticed that there is also a setting to allow multiple omnidirectional antennas to add their ranges (or some fraction of their ranges) together, like beamforming antennas in the real world.

Thats what, I was thinking of multiple omnidirectional antennas.

You can change RangeModelType to "root", and they also suggest changing RangeMultiplier to 0.5 so that two 500-km antennas still need to be within 500 km of each other.

When I tried `root` it stopped my game from loading but all was fine if I tried `Root` so it seems it is case sensitive.

From the instructions :

`MultipleAntennaMultiplier (default = 0.0)

This setting lets multiple omnidirectional antennas on the same craft act as a single, slightly larger antenna. The default value of 0.0 means that omni antennas do not boost each other; a value of 1.0 means that the effective range of the satellite equals the total range of all omni antennas on board. The effective range scales linearly between these two extremes. This option works with both the Standard and Root range models.`

If Antenna range is X and the multiplier is Y and the number of antenna is N then I imagine the calculation to be X+((N-1)*X)*Y)

If that is the case then if set to 0.25 a stock omni antenna (2.5 Mm range) would match the RT omni antenna (5Mm) if you placed 5 on board.

When set to 0.5 you would need 3.

Geostationary (2.8Mm) would need two 2.5Mm antenna with a multiplier of 0.25

Have I got this right?

Launch goes fine, and upon reaching altitude, I jettison the fairings. Action group "2" should extend the omni aerial and solar panels, but it just queues in the flight computer - and any further inputs also queue. I do have a connection to KSC at this point. If I jettison the fairings then manually activate the aerial and solar panels by right-clicking, they activate just fine, so I think it's something to do with action groups.

I've retried this launch about ten times, and can't see what I'm doing wrong. The nearest I got to success: I launched, jettisoned fairings, activated the aerial and solar panels, set up a node to circularise, and plugged the node into the flight computer to do - then I tried to activate the scansat modules. They just queued (in front of the node execute, but they never activated). I waited for the maneuver node, and that didn't execute either.

That sounds weird. Can you post a screenshot of the bad queue so I can see exactly what you mean?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds weird. Can you post a screenshot of the bad queue so I can see exactly what you mean?

Sorry I took so long to reply. I've made some screenshots and added a bit of commentary. This wasn't exhaustive testing because I don't know where to start, but if you want me to try anything, just say the word. I hope it's me doing something stupidly wrong, because that's easier to fix than a bug or mod conflict!! My original scansat had the tier one probe core I think, that's another difference.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I seem to be having an issue where RT antenna do not count toward contract criteria when using Mission Controller Extended. I need to `launch a company satellite with power and an antenna` but I only get `completed` if I use a stock antenna.

Would this be an issue I need to raise here or in the MCE thread?

I seem to be having an issue where RT antenna do not count toward contract criteria when using Mission Controller Extended. I need to `launch a company satellite with power and an antenna` but I only get `completed` if I use a stock antenna.

Would this be an issue I need to raise here or in the MCE thread?

What FinePrint does is look for anything that has a stock or RT antenna module. If MCE is looking for a specific list of parts, or for parts that have the stock antenna module, you would have to bring that up with the MCE maintainers.

Sooooo what was the word on the suggestion to have a toggle that can disable the RT requirements for local control, either for user cheat or to allow other mods to disable it in certain situations.

Specifically, to make simulations with Construction Time viable.

Hey I have a feature suggestion/improvement, the ability to assign multiple targets for a dish, but it still will only link to one of them, say the closest one.

Scenario: I a drone airplane on Eve, I have a command station in orbit so delay isn't much of an issue and a 3 sat com network. Now since this is an airplane it needs an antenna that won't break under high atmospheric speeds. The DP-10 is no good because the signal gets spotty because of it's short range, especially heading to the poles, even if I set up polar orbiting sats they will either only be in range for a short time or have such a highly eccentric orbit that the DP-10 can't reach them. So the KR-7 appears to be the best bet, but since it is a dish I have to point it at something, which gets really annoying as sats drop below the horizon and a new one comes over head, if I forget to switch then I'm screwed, also if I leave and come back and the sat it was targeting is no longer in view I have to wait for it to come back in view.

Solution: Ability to tell the KR-7 to target all three of my com sats and when one drops below the horizon it switches to the one in view. For balance i think it would be a good idea to make a limit on the number of targets that can be assigned to a single dish, something like 6 or so sounds good.

Is this doable?

If you're using FAR, I think you could put the omni under a shroud or inside a cargo bay. FAR will protect such parts from wind forces (and also prevent them from interfering with stability calculations), and it seems (looking in the source code) that if FAR is present, RemoteTech will not break antennas if FAR says they're shielded.

I don't run RT2 (not until it can be enabled per-save, because most of my probes in my sandbox save don't have antennas), so I can't verify this, but it should work.

What FinePrint does is look for anything that has a stock or RT antenna module. If MCE is looking for a specific list of parts, or for parts that have the stock antenna module, you would have to bring that up with the MCE maintainers.

Ah, I was hoping it would just look for anything with an `antenna` flag (if there is such a thing) and count that.

I`ve taken the easy Root (pun intended) and changed my .cfg so that an extra 2.5Mm antenna has a benefit.

I`ll mention it in the MCE thread and see if anything happens.

EDIT :

If you're using FAR, I think you could put the omni under a shroud or inside a cargo bay. FAR will protect such parts from wind forces (and also prevent them from interfering with stability calculations), and it seems (looking in the source code) that if FAR is present, RemoteTech will not break antennas if FAR says they're shielded.

I don't run RT2 (not until it can be enabled per-save, because most of my probes in my sandbox save don't have antennas), so I can't verify this, but it should work.

I can confirm this is the case. Sometimes I have a main fairing (if you use FAR you must use procedural fairings) for the launch that gets ejected for interplanetary transfer and then a smaller fairing covering things like antenna so I can aerobrake.

The antenna work fine under a fairing with FAR and DRE, the signal is good and they do not break in the wind.

Edited by John FX

Sooooo what was the word on the suggestion to have a toggle that can disable the RT requirements for local control, either for user cheat or to allow other mods to disable it in certain situations.

Where does a KCT simulation start you off in your orbit? If it’s above KSC, it might be possible to test the rocket by building it without fairings, attaching a Communotron and setting that to start extended. You might need to use Tweakable Everything. That might start you off with control.

Of course, it depends on how KCT does its orbit simulations and where your orbit begins.

Kerbals only simulate manned missions, otherwise where would be the explosions fun? But yeah, I don't think there is away to simulate remote controlled vehicles on distant planets before you have them connected to your network...

Kerbals only simulate manned missions, otherwise where would be the explosions fun? But yeah, I don't think there is away to simulate remote controlled vehicles on distant planets before you have them connected to your network...

KCT can simulate in any body you have already visited, You can choose the height of the orbit, I do think its starts somewhere over the KSC if in kerbin.

But the actual issue is that we need to activate the antenna and point it wherever it works, which we can't do. We can also simulate all the rocket launch from the beginning, it works but simulations is limited by in game time.

So there is only an issue when trying to simulate final stage probes, landing and orbiting on such outer bodies.

Still I think giving the player the ability to activate and point antennas even without control would solve all issues, ease the punishment on forgetting to activate the antenna, and still won't retract the fun the mod offers.

Hello there,

Another avid fan of this mod here.

Lately, I'm trying to solve any issues before they make it unplayable for me.

I'm hunting down any NREs I get and reporting them to the mod creators in hoping get the issue solved.

I'll be posting in a couple of other threads as well.

I do not have kOS installed, but I'm still getting the following pop up in my KSP log:

[EXC 23:38:36.347] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
kOS.SteeringHelper.GetThrustTorque (.Part p, .Vessel vessel)
kOS.SteeringHelper.GetTorque (.Vessel vessel, Single thrust)
RemoteTech.FlightComputer.updatePIDParameters ()
RemoteTech.FlightComputer.OnFixedUpdate ()
RemoteTech.ModuleSPU.FixedUpdate ()

Here are the actual logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yo6s47374cxyrpj/AABF9xjnb2DOWcUoU8PJLnj9a?dl=0

Is this normal? Is there a fix for it?

PS: Presently, I do not see any issues while playing. I wanted to learn about these NREs and how to fix them, but it was suggested to me that all I could do is report it to the mod author.

Hello there,

Another avid fan of this mod here.

Lately, I'm trying to solve any issues before they make it unplayable for me.

I'm hunting down any NREs I get and reporting them to the mod creators in hoping get the issue solved.

I'll be posting in a couple of other threads as well.

I do not have kOS installed, but I'm still getting the following pop up in my KSP log:

[EXC 23:38:36.347] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
kOS.SteeringHelper.GetThrustTorque (.Part p, .Vessel vessel)
kOS.SteeringHelper.GetTorque (.Vessel vessel, Single thrust)
RemoteTech.FlightComputer.updatePIDParameters ()
RemoteTech.FlightComputer.OnFixedUpdate ()
RemoteTech.ModuleSPU.FixedUpdate ()

Here are the actual logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yo6s47374cxyrpj/AABF9xjnb2DOWcUoU8PJLnj9a?dl=0

Is this normal? Is there a fix for it?

PS: Presently, I do not see any issues while playing. I wanted to learn about these NREs and how to fix them, but it was suggested to me that all I could do is report it to the mod author.

The name "kOS" appears in some of the code for the RT flight computer because of some historical efforts to get them to work together. All of the functions in that stack trace are part of RT.

Started with Remote Tech, progressed to Remote Tech 2 and now back to Remote Tech? Damn, you're indecicive. But that doesn't stop you from making great mods ;)

I do have a problem, though; when I point a dish towards a planet (say, Kerbin), it fails to project a cone of influence. At best, it points directly towards the KSC if into range.

Also, what about Kerbin Side ground stations? Do they also provide a connection uplink to satellites in range?

And finally (I know I'm asking for something improbable to happen), could you create a truly giant antenna with a range at the range of AUs, so I can have a reliable uplink when traveling interstellar distances in Kerbal Universe 2: Physics?

Started with Remote Tech, progressed to Remote Tech 2 and now back to Remote Tech? Damn, you're indecicive. But that doesn't stop you from making great mods ;)

I do have a problem, though; when I point a dish towards a planet (say, Kerbin), it fails to project a cone of influence. At best, it points directly towards the KSC if into range.

Also, what about Kerbin Side ground stations? Do they also provide a connection uplink to satellites in range?

And finally (I know I'm asking for something improbable to happen), could you create a truly giant antenna with a range at the range of AUs, so I can have a reliable uplink when traveling interstellar distances in Kerbal Universe 2: Physics?

Well the different naming was due to different developers taking over the mod.

What dish are you using? The only dishes you will see a cone on are the DTS-M1 and KR-7, everything else has such a narrow cone that it looks just like a strait line. Are you just not visually seeing the cone in map view? Because that can be toggled on and off with the buttons in the lower right corner of the screen.

For KerbinSide ground stations there is a link under Other Mod Support on the OP of the KerbinSide thread.

The last question is up to the developers, but it would be pretty easy to make one yourself by just changing one of the ones provided.

Well the different naming was due to different developers taking over the mod.

What dish are you using? The only dishes you will see a cone on are the DTS-M1 and KR-7, everything else has such a narrow cone that it looks just like a strait line. Are you just not visually seeing the cone in map view? Because that can be toggled on and off with the buttons in the lower right corner of the screen.

For KerbinSide ground stations there is a link under Other Mod Support on the OP of the KerbinSide thread.

The last question is up to the developers, but it would be pretty easy to make one yourself by just changing one of the ones provided.

I'm using a DTS-M1. Our at least, that's what I remember the deployable dish with the retrangular stowed shape to be. And I haven't tested them thoroughly enough to be sure (my communication network only has two prints at present), but it seems (from a couple of uplink loss at critical moments of my flights) that there is not a cone at all (testing with Communotron-16s on the receiver craft). It is for sure that I cannot see it at the map view.

So, this config with Kerbin Side will have you connected to the KSC regardless of the station you attach it to, or it creates more "Mission Control" options?

As for the fact that I could just edit the big dish, that's actually right. However, I would really love to have it as another step in the tech tree, with more cost, bigger size etc. And I'm terrible at modeling.

Edited by Coga19000

@Coga19000 The Communotron-16 is a Omni they don't have Cone Angle just the dishes do.

Nonononono, the Communotron-16s are the RECEIVERS. Judging from the wiki, all omnidirectional antennas in the cone of a deployed dish will automatically connect, without any targeting needed. The dishes are DTS-M1s.