Reading Science Archives

Good morning! (Please adjust greeting to suit your current time zone.)

I have been experimenting with Career Mode and having a grand time. I think I have a starting handle on things, but would like verification on how to read the Science Archives screen.

From my progress, reading and MMO experience (if there's a bar, make it bigger) it seems that I should fill the value bars in the Science Archive records. In other words, once the bar is full, there's not much point in pursuing that research further.

So one approach to using the Science Archives screen:

• pick a planet (Kerbin, for me - I'm still working toward making orbit an easy target)
  • pick a biome (or discover a new one?)
  • sort by value

This puts the empty bars at the top. This approach seems to point out which of the current records I've discovered still have research to be done.

To summarize:

1. Am I supposed to fill the bars in the Science Archives records (as opposed to emptying them)
  2. What would be a good strategy for improving science gathering, using the Science Archives screen as input?

Edited by PixelClef

To summarize:

1. Am I supposed to fill the bars in the Science Archives records (as opposed to emptying them)
  2. What would be a good strategy for improving science gathering, using the Science Archives screen as input?

1: Yes.

2: The best thing is to figure out what experiments and situations are NOT there. A record will only be shown in the archive if the experiment has been run in the relevant setting. Empty bars will thus signify stuff you've done but haven't brought the data back yet; unless you've failed a mission, you know that data is due when the ship in question comes home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.