The Higgs boson / field

My proposal for a realistic FTL drive is a "final" tech called:

THE HIGGS BOSON

the idea is based off Higgs field manipulation that allows you to reduce your mass and increase the speed of light in your vicinity ( or Jebs ) so to outsiders you appear in FTL but to you you appear at normal speeds

the tech tree would then continue with more stuffs

Sorry I'm using an iPad so my typing is bad

Any FTL drive is not realistic. Even current ideas about warp drives moving space around the ship are just speculations.

Actually, I believe they have taken the first steps to an Alcubierre drive. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall this from a science newspaper.

Any FTL drive is not realistic. Even current ideas about warp drives moving space around the ship are just speculations.

There are ideas for realistic FTL drives. Only problem is that we, as a human race, cannot deliver energies necessary for it's operations.

Manipulating gravity will not allow you to move faster than the speed of light. Gravity slows down the speed of light, it doesn't speed it up. I don't know where you got this from, but it seems rather ridiculous.

Manipulating gravity will not allow you to move faster than the speed of light. Gravity slows down the speed of light, it doesn't speed it up. I don't know where you got this from, but it seems rather ridiculous.

What?

No it doesn't.

Gravity can bend light, but it has no effect on the speed

Even If this does have a theoretical basis (could you provide a link to somewhere talking about it), no body knows anything about the Higgs boson, so I would think that it would be even more theoretical than an Alcubierre drive, (which would require a ridiculous amount of energy, both negative and positive. I think I read something about requiring the converted mass of Jupiter to operate).

All speculation on FTL drives are just that, speculation, even the so-called 'realistic' ones. All known FTL drives that have any sort of sound theoretical basis require exotic matter of some kind  that is, matter we're not even sure can exist in our universe. This especially includes the Alcubierre drive. In that case, even if we had the exotic matter, we don't know how to put it together in a way to create the Alcubierre metric.

Actually, I believe they have taken the first steps to an Alcubierre drive. Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall this from a science newspaper.

We should not confuse 'realistic' with 'theoretically possible'.

realistic (comparative more realistic, superlative most realistic)

• Expressed or represented as being accurate.
    A realistic appraisal of the situation.
  • Relating to the representation of objects, actions or conditions as they actually are or were.
    A realistic novel about the Victorian poor.

It is theoretically possible that broken vase pieces will jump off ground, snap together to form an unbroken vase, and land back on table. But it is not realistic to expect that it will happen and it is not realistic to build a rocket engine based on that principle.

Edited by Kasuha

There are ideas for realistic FTL drives. Only problem is that we, as a human race, cannot deliver energies necessary for it's operations.

****, i shouldnt had to choose human race. Next time i will be a orc.

****, i shouldnt had to choose human race. Next time i will be a orc.

The implication wasn't that another race could (though they might, and we just haven't discovered them), but that not just as a nation or continent, but as an entire race/civilization, we don't have the capabilities (yet)

Also: lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.