Modded Fighter Jets (EF2000)

JazeEyed

Hi all! Ever since I discovered modding in KSP, I've always loved the idea of adding in real planes to the game!

I'm a huge fan of modern day fighter jets, such as the Eurofighter Typhoon, the Tornado GR4, F22 Raptor, and the F35 Lightning.

So there for I have set myself a simple challenge; Mod these jets in.

I am probably going to need some help; I'm terrible with Blender.

I currently have a model which I got online of a Eurofighter Typhoon, my plan is to pull this apart into all the separate pieces of the plane. (wings, intakes, engines, pit, landing gear, etc.)

I am going to need help doing this! So please feel free to comment if you are good with Blender, or know how to work a part.cfg file! Thanks all!

l66760-uk-eurofighter-typhoon-93005.png

^ The Model I'm tearing apart.

-JazeEyed

Edited by JazeEyed
Added pictures & a link

A word about getting models "from the internet" or "online" - make sure that the original author's license permits you to make derivates from his/her work. If in doubt, ask first. (No response legally means no permission).

You would also be better off learning to remake the model from scratch, as the Kerbal aesthetic and proportions can be quite different from humans.

Finally, it would be best for you to learn to make some simple parts first (a rocket fuel tank or a fuselage) to familiarize yourself with KSP add-on authoring workflows, before progressing to increasingly difficult geometries. This sticky topic is a good place to start looking for resources / guides / tutorials.

A word about getting models "from the internet" or "online" - make sure that the original author's license permits you to make derivates from his/her work. If in doubt, ask first. (No response legally means no permission).

You would also be better off learning to remake the model from scratch, as the Kerbal aesthetic and proportions can be quite different from humans.

Finally, it would be best for you to learn to make some simple parts first (a rocket fuel tank or a fuselage) to familiarize yourself with KSP add-on authoring workflows, before progressing to increasingly difficult geometries. This sticky topic is a good place to start looking for resources / guides / tutorials.

I've messaged the author of the model and I have permission to use. And as for the model, this would take ages to make a eurofighter from scratch! I'm going to texture it myself, so I can get the 'kerbal' feel with it..

And I will look into it, thanks!

Edited by JazeEyed
Spelling Correction.

I've messaged the author of the model and I have permission to use.

Good to hear that's been cleared up.

And as for the model, this would take ages to make a eurofighter from scratch! I'm going to texture it myself, so I can get the 'kerbal' feel with it..

Bear in mind that models made for photorealistic rendering may not be optimized for use as in-game assets for KSP, and as such it is better to be patient and learn mesh modelling and optimization from first principles. Texturing is only part of the battle.

Good to hear that's been cleared up.

Bear in mind that models made for photorealistic rendering may not be optimized for use as in-game assets for KSP, and as such it is better to be patient and learn mesh modelling and optimization from first principles. Texturing is only part of the battle.

Okay, well to be honest I have no idea in terms of modeling, I played about with blender and it really didn't work too well, so, a few questions, if you don't mind?

1. How long will it take to get the skill to model the aircraft pictured above?

2. How long would it take to actually model it?

3. Personal opinion (again, if you don't mind) what do you think of this (very WIP) mod?

Thanks

Okay, well to be honest I have no idea in terms of modeling, I played about with blender and it really didn't work too well, so, a few questions, if you don't mind?

1. How long will it take to get the skill to model the aircraft pictured above?

2. How long would it take to actually model it?

3. Personal opinion (again, if you don't mind) what do you think of this (very WIP) mod?

Thanks

A while to say the least, its not so much about getting to the level of skill as it is about actually getting it done at your skill level, you could if you wanted to make that whole thing out of primitives, no real need for knowledge of a modelling programs more "interesting" features, you could even do it at your level however it would more than likely take you weeks non stop to produce a complete or mostly complete model at a acceptable kerbal level of detail, where as a person who is more proficient or has the knowledge in streamlining processes and the more "interesting" features of the modelling programs would get it done if a few days at the above detail (still talking about a decent amount of work here).

I am an average/industry standard modeller (albeit its a hobby not a business proposition for me)

With all that above said, I would like to point out I am not offering to help here, I am just answering your questions.

As a Mod, people like the idea, and it would go hand in hand with the mod "skillful", however the point about ksp is to create given the parts you have not re-create, this doesn't mean people wouldn't use it, what it means is you should go about making parts that mimic the concept of the various parts of the aircraft and allow some form of fluid modularity between as many parts, giving the people the ability to design their own aircraft using realistically inspired parts. (basically what KSP does now)

Hey guys, I am sorry to say I've given up on this project for now; I just have no idea what I'm doing. I really wish I could get a hand because I would love to see this in-game. Maybe I'll have a go once I've learned a bit more. Sorry again guys!

Hey guys, I am sorry to say I've given up on this project for now; I just have no idea what I'm doing. I really wish I could get a hand because I would love to see this in-game. Maybe I'll have a go once I've learned a bit more. Sorry again guys!

Sorry to hear that. But you could do like many of us do and just build the craft out of parts available in mods and stock parts.

With regards to the bit that I've bolded for emphasis, I believe this was the advice I gave you at the start:

• 3 weeks later...
With regards to the bit that I've bolded for emphasis, I believe this was the advice I gave you at the start:

sumghai, I see what you mean now, I have taken the time to have a look through and see it is a little more then having a model, texture and part.cfg! I will look in depth with this, and get comfortable to a level where I feel comfortable with so I can start this project! Thanks for guiding me in the right direction, it's good to have the help of a known modder! (also, I LOVE your station parts!)

Little sad now, hopefully you give it another go.

Dilin, it is good to know that you are supportive and would love your help as a tester, would I be able to get some sort of contact for you in the (hopefully near) future when I have something to test?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.