[KSP 1.0.X] Kerbal Mechanics: Part Failures and Repairs v0.6.4.1

IRnifty

Updated! v0.4.2:

- Fixed Decouplers not completing contract tests when either exploding or silently failing.

- Lowered decoupler default chance to explode from 12.5% to 6.25%.

- Lowered decoupler default chance to silently fail from 50% to 20%.

- Fixed fuel tanks with more than one resource initially leaking one resource, and occasionally reloading with a different one leaking.

- Fixed more variables not loading properly.

- Changed "reliabilityDrain" variable names to "lifeTime" to coincide with the fact that they hold the number of days a part will take to hit 0% reliability.

- Added Small Spare Parts Container to tech tree under "General Construction" and fixed the base price to 100 FUNds.

- Set RocketParts resource unit cost to 1 FUNd per unit of RocketParts, making a full Small Spare Parts Container cost 600 FUNds.

Woops... I think I added the tech requirement to the wrong file and let it overwrite when I rebuilt the code... Give me a few minutes...

EDIT: There, fixed!

Edited by IRnifty

• 2 weeks later...

Might suggest parts getting more and more reliable as you advance into the tree, being unreliable at first as "newly developed technology", but eventually getting to the point of rarely having failures once they have been "refined" for a couple years in-game. Don't know how hard that would be to implement.

I've thought about it, and may well do it, but it will indeed be difficult to implement. Firstly, I'm trying to find time to finish recording my next mod tutorial episode. I am rarely alone and in a quiet enough place, and it's starting to really bug me.

I really like the quality effecting cost option this has, but the way mod support, notifications, and maintenance is in "DangIt!" since I found on several launches the only part this mod was recognizing was the command pod. Seeing as DangIt! has announced the most wanted feature will likely never be in that mod, I am holding VERY high hopes and interest in this one. :)

If not the wide automatic support that DangIt! has by using MM for its integration, support for some of the most common mods such as KSPI, Firespitter, B9, NovaPunch, and the glowingly popular UmbraSpaceIndustries mod collection (MKS/OKS/Karbonite) are main ones I can think of off hand. :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

While I do intend to support as many mods as I can, and be compatible with the rest, I cannot at this time make support automatic with MM due to the complexity of managing so many failure modules effectively, but after a few weeks break of working of other projects, I can come back to this with a fresh mind and see if I can't work something out. As close to release as this is, I still feel like something is missing and I want to finish the base mod before supporting others.

Thanks for your interest, and I really hope that you enjoy my mod.

I've tested your mod, but the huge chance of failure of decouplers is forcing me to abort every other launch, so I had to get rid of it again. Please make the initial chance for failure of decouplers much smaller, and maybe reduce their lifetime so failures do happen on longer missions. Or do something like: chance of Failure = final chance of Failure * (1 - Reliability), so that 100% reliable parts can't fail at all

Edit: Also your mod breaks the order of magnitude display on the altimeter, going to 1 million meters makes the number change to 1000, but the magnitude doesn't change to "K"

Edited by Alvin853

An issue on balance that might be a factor to consider is the G tolerance for the command module instruments. With KAS attachments and detachments, such as with the pipe, and give very high short instances of G translating though the game usually inducing a small movement on the object but at times this has been enough to cause failures to result. To compensate, if feasible as I am a laymen, maybe a delay to check for G force over a certain period of time so as to bypass any cause of a short instance of G change.

I do have very high interest in this and following this closely :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They were once the same, but I lowered the weight of them because they were far too heavy. So I don't know exactly what would happen if both mods were loaded together. No doubt, there'd be only one resource, but I don't know which weight it would use.

Now this is cool =) This is my favorite kind of mod, the "playable realism" kind of thing, that adds believable challenge while giving players a way to cope with the challenge. The granularity of the failures and the ability to repair in-flight or in-situ sets this apart from other failure mods. This belongs in the pantheon of mods like DRE, RemoteTech, FAR, TACLS, etc. It forces the player to plan for contingencies and be creative.

This makes early Career mode much more difficult, because players have less capacity to deal with failures and have to scrap missions and lose money/rep. This is, imo, a better way of making the early game challenging than Squad's way of just cranking up numbers. It may seem harsh though, so maybe ease up on early-flight failures (say during launch, when players can't address failures) and allow more failures in mid-flight, when EVA is much more feasible. Decouplers failing during launch pretty much scrap a whole mission, regardless of how expensive it is.

I do have a noob question to ask, though. How do I get Rocket Parts? I'm using KAS as well and I can't find them on my kerbals, or in my command pods, or in my KAS containers. I checked the OP and your Github site, but I haven't found any hints. Thanks in advance!

And finally a suggestion, because who doesn't have one? People seem to want a way to increase part reliability with use and experience. How about a simple "prototype" flag? Prototype parts have higher failure rates, of course. When the player recovers a prototype part that hasn't failed (and hasn't been repaired), it removes the flag. If not, future instances of the part still retain the flag and lowered reliability. This would encourage test missions to work out the bugs of new parts, and maybe wouldn't be as complicated as adding more metrics or analyzing tech trees.

Thanks for your hard work, IRnifty! I look forward to this mod's continued development.

• 1 month later...

ok found how to write the .cfg for it im adding some aies parts(most small satalite parts),kw parts(all but 2 engines i dont use),near future,remote tech,umbral industries and interstellar mod. ill post the .cfg when im finish. one thing is that this mod wont apply them unless the .cfg is called injection.cfg.

here some of them.

this has the aies sat parts and most kw stuff stuff(most tanks but for tapered ones and all engines but for the 2 lowend ones)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j90dcd0z2u81uuq/Injections.cfg?dl=0

taking a break now will add more to it.

Edited by sidfu

there no toolbar icon for this mod u dont need it as there no settings. when inflight rigth click on your command cap or whatever has a command ablity. chose ship status u will get the menu to highlight failed parts

thanks for the reply ya i had looked through the game file and saw there was a toolbar folder just wasnt sure if it was used or not in the game.Thanks for letting me know im working on getting all of the Tantares and tantaresLV parts to work with this I can post up the file when im done if yall would like?

thanks for the reply ya i had looked through the game file and saw there was a toolbar folder just wasnt sure if it was used or not in the game.Thanks for letting me know im working on getting all of the Tantares and tantaresLV parts to work with this I can post up the file when im done if yall would like?

np

u can post on here just list which mods u add to it. the one i posted has nearly all kw rocketry and some aies parts. as the mod is forceing us to put everything on that one .cfg

@rainmaker why dont u go into the resouce .cfg and change it. most mods dont have the resouce comptely hd coded so u can change that there.

@rainmaker why dont u go into the resouce .cfg and change it. most mods dont have the resouce comptely hd coded so u can change that there.

Assume this is meant for me:

I have no idea how to do it. Would appreciate some kind of guide to prevent me from screwing something up big time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.