Ejectable Engine Fairings

Essentially, I want to create this:

gRdEwI3.jpg

I've read about adding Icon_Hidden as a tag in Unity. In this picture, the fairings are broken into 3rds. Additionally, should it be modeled on the engine itself or onto the adapter? I can't really seem to find documentation on this.

In the stock part.cfg there is this:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = fairing
bottomNodeName = bottom
isFairing = True
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 5
jettisonDirection = 0 0 1

}

Name, jettisonName, bottonNodeName, are all obvious. But, what exactly is the jettisonedObjectMass? Is that the weight of the ejected fairing as debris? JettisonForce is also obvious. jettisonDirection, I'm assuming this 0 0 1 is x y z?

So if I understand this bit, it seems that the fairing in this example has very low debris mass, barely ejects at all (low force) and ejects down? Also, are the variables for jettisonDirection only 1 and 0 (yes/no)?

For the three fairings, would I create three fairing models, assign each one a different name, and give them each a different MODULE{} entry in the part.cfg? Since it is in 1/3rds, assuming N, SE, SW... would that be N (1 0 0), SE (-1 1 0), SW (-1 -1 0)?

This is my first time (obviously) making an engine (or engine fairing). Any help for my ranted barely comprehensible questions will be highly appreciated :)

E

MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = fairing
bottomNodeName = bottom
isFairing = True
jettisonForce = 5
jettisonDirection = 0 0 1

}

jettisonedObjectMass I believe is for treatment as debris.

Direction is X Y Z. probably 1, 0, or -1.

I'm not sure if ModuleJettison{} will be flexible enough for what you are attempting.

for splitting the fairing into sections you might want to check out KW's fairings and see how they are set up.

jettisonedObjectMass I believe is for treatment as debris.

Direction is X Y Z. probably 1, 0, or -1.

I'm not sure if ModuleJettison{} will be flexible enough for what you are attempting.

for splitting the fairing into sections you might want to check out KW's fairings and see how they are set up.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a peak at KW's and see how they are set up.

EDIT:

Unfortunately, that didn't provide any additional information. Other than jettisonName, all the engine fairing entries in KW are identical to the one posted above (from a stock engine). The none engine fairings are set up like a decoupler.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = -300
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}

So if ModuleJettison{} is not flexible enough (will give it a try), would it be better to make the fairing as a separate part instead of automatic engine fairings?

Edited by noonespecial

stock LV-N have two fairings and config is

MODULE

{

name = ModuleJettison

jettisonName = fairingL

bottomNodeName = bottom

isFairing = False

jettisonForce = 1

jettisonDirection = 1 0 0

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleJettison

jettisonName = fairingR

bottomNodeName = bottom

isFairing = False

jettisonForce = 1

jettisonDirection = -1 0 0

}

So 2 or <n> fairings seems to be not too hard.

good call Justin. I never noticed LV-N's fairings during stage separation. Looks like ModuleJettison will do what you need, you just need a separate module for each fairing piece.

The KW fairings uses decoupler nodes, same way stock radial decouplers work. Looks like that's more complex for what you need.

Edited by nli2work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.