Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8400 Max temp?

Newer mobile CPUs are generally rated up to 100°C, older ones such as yours might start throttling at 90°C. They don't let laptop chips run themselves into molten goo.

That said, you probably want to try cleaning the heatsink. Laptops often see veritable walls of dust form in front of them, severely reducing cooling efficiency.

Temperature of my CPU really shoot up to 100 C.

For example, I was already running CPUID Hardware Monitor, was copying a movie on my xperia, the computer suggested that is needed to convert the file, I agreed and when copying and file conversion processor's temperature reached to 100 ° C

But only one, the rest was the core temperature near 90 C.

I wonder why Interestingly, during such a simple operation like copying a movie on a smartphone procoesor so hot.

By the way, Is the movie "A million ways to die in the West" Directed by Seth MacFarlane in is good, my mom does not like to use the computer at night, says he heard the noise generated by the computer, hear even in her room live aforementioned small apartment built under communism with my mom. My mom has a lot reasond my computer was always noisy, even when it was new.

So I copied a movie on a smartphone, just in case I could not sleep. Ted (2012) I loved only if the new movie is just as good as Ted?

And why proceosr so becomes hot during operation so trivial as converting the file?

Converting video is not a simple operation. In fact, converting video is one of the most CPU-hungry tasks you can do. It is effortlessly paralllelized, which means that all your cores are guaranteed a 100% load level.

Why is that?

My processor, an AMD Phenom II X3 710, was hitting over 100 °C under heavy load and shutting the PC down. I brought the temperature down to 50 °C max just by giving the PC a good cleanout with some canned air, making sure I got right into the CPU cooler and everywhere else.

If you've not cleaned your PC in a while (or ever), do this first.

Why is that?

If you are asking why it is CPU intensive:

Basically the video has to be converted frame by frame to possibly a different resolution/size and encoded into a different format. While this is going on, it also has to convert audio.

If you are asking why it can be parallelized easily:

The order that it converts the frames does not matter and each is not dependent on another to be converted. So go frames 1,2,3,4... or going frame 1,22,34,12,67... gives the video in the end.

If you are asking why it is CPU intensive:

Basically the video has to be converted frame by frame to possibly a different resolution/size and encoded into a different format. While this is going on, it also has to convert audio.

If you are asking why it can be parallelized easily:

The order that it converts the frames does not matter and each is not dependent on another to be converted. So go frames 1,2,3,4... or going frame 1,22,34,12,67... gives the video in the end.

Thanks you very very much:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.