[WIP] Freedom Space Station

Bison Steve

Hi! We here at Major Tom Aerospace got tired of building little rockets and decided to build something REALLY BIG! What might this be, you ask? A space station of course! One that would give us the freedom to build and fuel even bigger things without the problems of atmosphere and gravity. Thus, the inspiration for the Freedom Space Station was born.

And best of all: We are documenting it and showing you how to build it too! For FREE!

First of all, thank you to Auriga for his awesome New Horizons station. It gave me a lot of ideas for building the FSS.

I do use some mods. Any mod parts in the parts list will be shown in brackets []. This station can be built fully functional without mods, so the ones listed are purely optional, and I will post a stock version of modules without mod parts.

Also, I will be using some highly technical/made up words. Those will be in parenthesis () and a definition will be provided. For example (Jank): verb, to carefully adjust position/attitude of something to make it fit. I use that term a lot. Most of my stuff is very janky.

The FSS will be launched in several parts, with a chapter usually devoted to each part. There are a few smaller modules that I will lump together.

Next chapter: FSS Tug. This will be used to move all the pieces together, as well as help guide bigger ship to dock with the main station. Stay tuned!

UmVg6sn.png

Chapter 2: Freedom Space Station Tug

The FSS Tug will be launched with the FSS Command Module. However, it is important that the tug be built first, as the RCS blocks must be precisely balanced.

LqOSiIJ.png

Parts list: (descending order)

Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port

RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

2x: PB-NUK Generators (janked off the RC-001S)

Illuminator Mk2

Mk1 Lander Can

Mk2 Radial Parachute (janked between the RC-001S and the Mk1)

[MechJeb 2]

2x: Stratus-V Cylindrified RCS Tanks

4x: RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks

2-1k Rechargeable Battery Bank

2x: Illuminator Mk1s (janked off the 2-1k)

Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port

To Build: Start with the Mk1 Lander Can. It makes grabbing everything easier, especially later with the Command Module. Then attach the Battery and the Remote Guidance. The RGU is optional, if you want to always have a pilot you can replace this with another 2-1k Battery, but the generators make this redundant. Then add the RCS tanks on the sides without the window/hatch. try to line them up evenly. Then the Clamp-O-Trons. Next: carefully jank the parachute into place at about 45 degrees so it fits flush with the top three parts, as low as possible to avoid collision problems on docking. The PB-NUKs are next, mounted at roughly 90 degrees off the Remote Guidance so that they merge into the RCS Tanks, then do the same on the bottom with the lights. Above the hatch place an Illuminator Mk2. All the lights you want to jank so that they face straight up and down. The generators allow you to run the lights and other systems indefinately. Lastly, place the RCS blocks on the last four open sides using the Center of Mass ball to place them exactly at the middle line. This gives the Tug amazing maneuverability and makes it easier to move other things. Why the parachute you say? The Tug can function as a lifeboat in case of a catastrophic failure. Other lifeboats are the Command Module (2) and the Hab Modules (4-6 each) for a total of 11-15 crew depending on which version ot the FSS-HMs you use.

Next up: The FSS Command Module! Stay tuned!

Edited by Bison Steve
FSS Tug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.