Coherent Contracts

peadar1987

By peadar1987, Xacktar, and expert consultant DuoDex

"It's no secret that no amount of theory would be enough to prove that undergoing rapid unplanned disassembly was part of the reason that, however, an engineer from C7 aerospace found it lacking that the amount of times we underestimated the volatility of common rocket fuel. As you probably guessed, this is where you come in."

If sentences like this make your eyes bleed, then maybe you'll be interested in this project.

NEW THREAD HERE

Description

We've been through the contract generator text file, and tried to simplify things as much as possible.

Now the generic contract flavour text should at least make grammatical sense most of the time, and have some sort of rational structure and flow.

Additionally, we've increased the number of items in many of the categories, so your contract descriptions should have more variety and flavour than ever before.

Installation

1. Follow this link (it goes to google drive, not some shady file-sharing dungeon)

2. Download the "CoherentContracts" folder

3. Paste it into your "GameData" folder

42. Accept your new, coherent contract.

How can I help?

If you want to contribute, or if you have any suggestions, reply to the thread.

The biggest way you can help is if you spot any weird and wonderful sentences the file throws up, copy the full text into a reply to us, and we'll try and squash the bug that's causing it

**Disclaimer: No responsibility taken for any ocular bleeding caused by the contracts generated by downloading and installing this file. We haven't tested every possible combination of text!

Licensey stuff:

This project uses ModuleManager, originally by Ialdabaoth, maintained by Sarbian. It is completely their work, and you should give them cookies. The lates version can be downloaded from here, although it is contained in our download as well.

This add-on is released under a BSD licence, the text of which can be read here

Edited by DuoDex

So I've been getting some issues with sentences cut off half way. Looking at the file, I see this

It's no secret that [ObjectPredicates:Motivation] [Facts:Subject]. We weren't too [Adjectives:Concerned], but for 

[Characters:Mindset] [CharacterAttributes:Mindset], that was simply [Adjectives:Depreciative]. [Bridges:Dismissive] [BriefingConclusions]

I don't think that break should be there as 'but for' is always the last two words I get (in this example). Would it do more harm than good if I were to just delete the large linebreak?

So I've been getting some issues with sentences cut off half way. Looking at the file, I see this
It's no secret that [ObjectPredicates:Motivation] [Facts:Subject]. We weren't too [Adjectives:Concerned], but for 

[Characters:Mindset] [CharacterAttributes:Mindset], that was simply [Adjectives:Depreciative]. [Bridges:Dismissive] [BriefingConclusions]

I don't think that break should be there as 'but for' is always the last two words I get (in this example). Would it do more harm than good if I were to just delete the large linebreak?

No harm, go ahead and delete the linebreak. And that linebreak was somehow corrupted/unintentionally edited in, so the original download should still work.

Edited by DuoDex

No harm, go ahead and delete the linebreak. And that linebreak was somehow corrupted/unintentionally edited in, so the original download should still work.

I noticed that problem before, when you copy text from another source[iE google docs] into the file, the wordwraps break some of the longer lines. Away from the PC right now but I'll try and check the file later. :)

Pretty good mod so far!

Here's a few unusual descriptions I found with this, after a few flights in a fresh Career save:

Relevant bits are underlined.

Not very long before pushing the boundaries of current technology, a bright-eyed enthusiast from Kerbin World-Firsts Record Keeping Society realized that we didn't know if we were actually just interesting in watching things explode. So you're going to be the one doing the testing

The Record Keeping Society thinks they don't look interesting enough when they watch things explode.

Alright then.

While cleaning up after exploding in a fiery cataclysm...

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but how could they give me this contract if they "exploded in a fiery cataclysm"?

Just to clarify, the quote doesn't end there; I just didn't think the rest was interesting enough to quote.

The sales department from O.M.B. Demolition Enterprises wants confirmation on whether the TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer was capable of withstanding standard field conditions. Now, you are the only one in a position to mount a rescue

We want you to test the TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer landed at Kerbin.

...What does this have to do with rescues? We're testing a part at the launchpad.

Maybe it's a hostage situation.

"Test our part... or Jeb gets it!"

I've also noticed quite a few contracts that end with no period, which you can see in some of my quotes.

Minor issue, but thought I'd bring it up.

Still, this mod looks great besides these occasional odd moments, and it's definitely more readable than anything in the stock game.

The only quote that I think really needs fixing is the third one, which mentions rescuing a Kerbal in a part test contract.

Hope this helps!

Pretty good mod so far!

Here's a few unusual descriptions I found with this, after a few flights in a fresh Career save:

Relevant bits are underlined.

The Record Keeping Society thinks they don't look interesting enough when they watch things explode.

Alright then.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but how could they give me this contract if they "exploded in a fiery cataclysm"?

Just to clarify, the quote doesn't end there; I just didn't think the rest was interesting enough to quote.

...What does this have to do with rescues? We're testing a part at the launchpad.

Maybe it's a hostage situation.

"Test our part... or Jeb gets it!"

I've also noticed quite a few contracts that end with no period, which you can see in some of my quotes.

Minor issue, but thought I'd bring it up.

Still, this mod looks great besides these occasional odd moments, and it's definitely more readable than anything in the stock game.

The only quote that I think really needs fixing is the third one, which mentions rescuing a Kerbal in a part test contract.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a stab at sorting out those issues now.

The second one is the hardest, as the list of circumstances is used for everything. It's almost impossible to set a circumstance to be ignored in specific situations, and I quite like "exploding in a fiery cataclysm" when it crops up in other situations!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a stab at sorting out those issues now.

The second one is the hardest, as the list of circumstances is used for everything. It's almost impossible to set a circumstance to be ignored in specific situations, and I quite like "exploding in a fiery cataclysm" when it crops up in other situations!

Perhaps you could make it along the lines of "While cleaning up after an experimental part exploded in a fiery cataclysm"?

I use both with no conflicts. All Coherent Contracts does is make the descriptions make sense by using better syntax and sentence fragments and does it brilliantly as well.

Yup, we're basically just in the syntax and summary structure file, shouldn't actually effect gameplay at all.

Yup, we're basically just in the syntax and summary structure file, shouldn't actually effect gameplay at all.

However, mods that edit/add new StoryDef nodes may cause issues. No mods have been released that do this, but you have been warned.

Out of curiosity, why is ModuleManager bundled inside the CoherentContracts folder? Aside from not following standard convention of MM just being in the gamedata directory, it can result in duplicates.

ModuleManager is smart, and identifies and uses the latest version of itself found in the GameData directory.

By bundling MM, we don't have to deal with "bugs" caused by no MM install.

ModuleManager is smart, and identifies and uses the latest version of itself found in the GameData directory.

By bundling MM, we don't have to deal with "bugs" caused by no MM install.

Unfortunately, this is against the best practices indicated by MM's developer. MM should always be in the root of GameData.

you could do what FAR does, and include a GameData folder in your package, and place the ModuleManager DLL in the right place in that folder. This gives you the advantage of including MM, while still respecting the developers recommended usage.

Fortunately, MM includes a well behaved version checker, so this discussion is both moot and academic.

Alternatively, we're chatting on a forum designed for an orbital mechanics simulator involving a 1960's era space program on a planet of little green frog eyed guys that all have the family name "Kermin", so "moot and academic" seems to be the order of the day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.