Kerbal rescue missions

Still early days for me, but I noticed a Kerbal rescue mission to rescue a stranded Kerbal in Kerbin orbit.

What is the deal with that? If I accept it, does that mean I need to park the guy in kerbin orbit, dock and bring him home? Or if I accept the mission, he is going to appear in Kerbin orbit and I can go scoop him up?

Thanks!

Best if you are bothered about the cost maybe. But since money is hardly difficult to come by in the game, SSTOs are surely something to worry about more when you know what you are doing a bit more, no?

Be warned, there is a bug (Not sure if it's mod related, as I have lots of them) where it will put a copy inside the command pod and leave him hanging on the ladder.

A workaround is to:

switch to the ship

EVA he rescued Kerbal,

Switch to the copy (the one that was hanging on the ladder)

Put him in the capsule (He will disappear, but not get added to the capsule)

reboard with the rescued Kerbal.

I use a probe with a empty capsule attached and just 2 stage it to him cost me about 20k to retrieve him, i also dock with my station and leave my extra fuel and RCS i do not use at the station. probably not as efficient but when i launch with the right timing I get within 5km and just fly him to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.