Apple(iOS) vs Samsung(Android)

SpaceXray

With Android you can go expensive or budget, big screen or small, micro sd or not, removable battery or not etc etc.

And it fits with the general Android idea: there's only so much devices that uses Android as their OS that you can say it's modular. I'm sure there's somewhere where you can describe how you want your phone, and then have a list of devices that are presented to you.

I got the same feelings when I watched Apple keynotes than i watched SpaceX live coverages: the primary thing to how it is all planned out is to make the customers accept contracts, whether it's satellites manufacturers or phone users. They make you feel they are explaining the tech, but they're just hitting you with geeky words, and covering you with facts that say "we're the best so you have to buy us".

I'm gonna admit it though, I never watched a Google/Android keynote.

Seret mentioned some kind of Android hack. We aren't talking about additional software you Ned to install to make Android run good. We are talking about e VANILLA version! Just the fact that you need to install special software to make Android run normally already makes it clear how poorly made Android is.

Trying to criticise something you don't understand just exposes your ignorance. If you don't know what Cynaogenmod or other alternative ROMs are at least do a bit of research before trying to slag them off. They're not a hack that's required to get vanilla Android to run properly. In fact if you actually read my posts you'd see that I've said several times how vanilla Android is actually better than what you get from the likes of Samsung.

Look, you like IOS and Apple devices, which is fine. That doesn't mean you're under any obligation to attack the alternatives, especially when your experience and knowledge of those alternatives is clearly lacking. Criticism based on experience is valid, criticism based on ignorance isn't.

Still though both Google and Smasung stole ideas from Apple.

And vice versa. Plenty of features in recent versions of IOS were seen in Android first. There's nothing wrong with implementing a good piece of UI that a competitor came up with. If it's good UI then the user wins. Does anybody really care that Xerox invented WIMP? Should we dump on every OS released since then because they "stole" Xerox's ideas?

Still Samsung fails very badly in trying to be "innovative" like Apple.

Their commercials are based on showing features you almost never use, show situations where you will probably never be and make fun on iPhones openly in their commercials(laughing at the iPhone not being waterproof, laughing at 500mAh less power capacity, laughing at the iPhone 6 which isn't even released).

Did you watch the last episode of "iCarly"?

Sure the show was funny as hell and wasn't very intellectual, but they made a good point when it came to the Samsung galaxy note(worst gadget ever).

Basically, the guy got a "Samson note" from his mother. Everyone felt sorry for him :D

The thing is too small to be called a tablet and is too big to be a smartphone(looks wacky when you hold the big thing when talking, too heavy to have long calls, too big to fit in your pocket). He even had to get a purse-case to carry it :D

they did a good job there letting everyone know what a bad product that is, and they didn't directly call it by name, but everyone understood what they wanted to show.

Samsung?! I hate samsungs. I have my sony xperia acro s, running android 4.1.x (i dont know which one), that phone seems to be so durable. It is water proof, resistant from the sand and dust, the screen is very good, ive accidently dropped it several times, no marks.

But i dont understand whats the hype about iphones is about. Why in the hell young kids have iphones?!

Samsung galaxy note(worst gadget ever).

<snip>

The thing is too small to be called a tablet and is too big to be a smartphone(looks wacky when you hold the big thing when talking, too heavy to have long calls, too big to fit in your pocket).

My wife's got one of those, she absolutely loves it. A lot of women like the really big phones, since they're carrying them in a handbag anyway they might as well have a nice big screen. it's not heavy at all. I wouldn't buy one myself, I agree with you that it's a bit too big for a guy to comfortably fit in their pocket. If that's not a problem for you it's a great phone though.

I chose neither. I refuse to use any Apple device based on their business model, and I refuse to use Google/Android based on them taking data mining to the extreme.

So I went with Crackberry. Yep, it's old, but using it with work email, it absolutely destroys both Apple and Android. The call volume is better than both, and I get a physical keyboard, which I need because touch screens never work with my fingers.

I chose neither. I refuse to use any Apple device based on their business model, and I refuse to use Google/Android based on them taking data mining to the extreme.

So I went with Crackberry. Yep, it's old, but using it with work email, it absolutely destroys both Apple and Android. The call volume is better than both, and I get a physical keyboard, which I need because touch screens never work with my fingers.

With an iPhone, you don't even need to use a keyboard-you just tell Siri to write an email with whatever you want in it!

The future is already here-no one uses keyboards anymore, dictation and your very own personal digital secretary is here.

Just look up what you can do with Siri. I specially got a Bluetooth headset so I can wear it around the house and use my phone to check my mail and send mails and call people without ever getting the phone out of my pocket.

With an iPhone, you don't even need to use a keyboard-you just tell Siri to write an email with whatever you want in it!

The future is already here-no one uses keyboards anymore, dictation and your very own personal digital secretary is here.

Two points;

A) Google now already does these things, as do proprietary version from basically every phone manufacturer.

B) I have never seen anybody use any of these things in public, despite the vast majority of phones supporting some version of it. Why? Because it makes you look like a tit, that's why. Something that requires no shame to use is pretty pointless.

Just look up what you can do with Siri. I specially got a Bluetooth headset so I can wear it around the house and use my phone to check my mail and send mails and call people without ever getting the phone out of my pocket.

Yea no, try using that with any sense of an accent and you are screwed. Add in background noise, such as while driving, and it is utterly useless. Use it inpublic and you don't have any sort of privacy not to mention the background noise. Until we get 2001 level voice detection it isn't worth it in my books, sort of like the motion control fad.

The swipe keyboard on android on the other hand is awesome for the smaller keypad.

Edit

As Kyrten said, voice recognition isn't just Apple, all smartphones that I know of have it on it.

Edited by Dodgey

Voice to text works for crap. I don't even bother. If I have to repeat myself 12 times and it still doesn't get it correct, it's wasting my time.

Doesn't work for this guy either:

Which one is better in your opinion? You are free to express your opinion, but don't just go raging "Apple sucks!" or "Samsng is cr**", you have to provide at least 1 VALID ARGUMENT.

I'll start:

I am an Apple fan. Yes, I am wilting this post on my 4 year old iPad which is still going strong.

I also currently have an iPhone 5s and an iPod touch, which was my first I-device.

I actually really, I mean really hate Samsung and Google now.

Here are my reasons for sticking on the Apple side:

Apple makes both the hardware, and the software for the same device.

This makes the software use the hardware much better. With Samsung, 2 separate companies make the hardware and the OS, and this results in some terrible things like screen stretch, incompatibility, lag etc.

Apple was always and is still considered cool and premium. The design is elite(made from actual metal) unlike the cheap plastic Android tablets you see.

Apple was the pioneer. Apple created the first smartphone with a capacitive multitouch screen.

Apple created the pinch zoom. Apple created the auto brightness. Apple created the worlds smallest and most eas to use MP3 player. Apple made the first computer with a UI for gods sake!

Apple created the famous iPad. Apple created the best editing software and so on.

What did Samsng invent? Only a massive screen on phones thanks to which you need a separate bag to carry the phone. Also you need surgery to get longer fingers to reach eac part of the screen.

Samsung is known for ripping off Apple. Most recent example:

Apple makes the worlds first 64 bit smartphone, also with a fingerprint scanner. A few months later, Smasung makes a smartphone with a fingerprint scanner too!

In my opinion, Samsung can't make smartphones, or tablets. They make good TV's and microwaves, but not tablets and smartphones.

Continuing on to Android...

iOS is still the most easy to use mobile OS in the world. Even a grandma can learn to use itin a few hours!

iOS gets the latest apps first. IOS has the largest app collection than any other store.iOS has a lot more exclusives. iOS has AirPlay-and eas to use streaming option. iOS has Siri-the closest thing you can get to an AI.

Finally, we don't see man Samsng stores. Apple stores always look cool. You are cool if you work in one too. Admit it:they are just plain awesome-design, structure, layout, simplicity.

thisnis why I love Apple, they keep everything simple. They make everything look modern.

Ad they don't make fun of opponents unlike Samsng which made 2 ads where they laugh at iPhones.

This is all just opinion based. And most of it is redundant drivvle from someone who is too emotional about their hardware choices.

Samsung makes (or rather made) the chips for Apple. They also make LCD screens. Apple sources the parts from various manufacturers and has a company in china assemble them. Appstore vs playstore... most of the "premium" apps for apple are free on android.

Now on to my Opinion.

In terms of looks, I prefer the Galaxy tablets. They are sleek to the touch, the glass is unscratchable (gorilla glass) and the OS is easy to upgrade/mess around in. Googles version of siri is pretty damned good, if you have never tried it... well you shouldn't be writing an opinion about it. And what does the store have to do with the actual product other than it's "cool". Honestly I hate going into an apple store, everything is overpriced... and that's exactly why I dislike apple as a brand. They are awfully proud of their crap.

I have an iphone 4 and I came from and EVO... I really regret making that move. I have issues operating iOS. Phone calls are 2 steps to long, Battery life is horrid (IMO) and the sound quality is terrible. I've used my brothers galaxy s5 and incoming calls are bright (loud).

So, as soon as my contract ends, out goes the iphone and I'm running back to android.

Sure, an Android offers more customization and a file system, but I don't want a PC in my pocket.

i just want a phone that works. A phone which I can speak to, one I can tell to call me 'master' and it'll call me that.

It's called a flip phone. I'm sorry but you already have a pc in your pocket when you own a smart phone.

This is all just opinion based. And most of it is redundant drivvle from someone who is too emotional about their hardware choices.

Samsung makes (or rather made) the chips for Apple. They also make LCD screens. Apple sources the parts from various manufacturers and has a company in china assemble them. Appstore vs playstore... most of the "premium" apps for apple are free on android.

Now on to my Opinion.

In terms of looks, I prefer the Galaxy tablets. They are sleek to the touch, the glass is unscratchable (gorilla glass) and the OS is easy to upgrade/mess around in. Googles version of siri is pretty damned good, if you have never tried it... well you shouldn't be writing an opinion about it. And what does the store have to do with the actual product other than it's "cool". Honestly I hate going into an apple store, everything is overpriced... and that's exactly why I dislike apple as a brand. They are awfully proud of their crap.

I have an iphone 4 and I came from and EVO... I really regret making that move. I have issues operating iOS. Phone calls are 2 steps to long, Battery life is horrid (IMO) and the sound quality is terrible. I've used my brothers galaxy s5 and incoming calls are bright (loud).

So, as soon as my contract ends, out goes the iphone and I'm running back to android.

Aple devices are expensive because they are quality products made from metal. Apple puts a lot of work into them to make sure they work properly. Apple shops look the coolest-the minimalist design is just terrific. When you come into a mall, the first thing you notice is that futuristic store.

Funny but you are cring about the iPhone 4 not being on tier with the Galaxy S5, but you forgot that the Galaxy S5 is a spring 2014 phone and the iPhone 4 is a 2010 phone....4 years have passed, of course it is no longer on tier with the flagship S5 and iPhone 5S!

Yea no, try using that with any sense of an accent and you are screwed. Add in background noise, such as while driving, and it is utterly useless. Use it inpublic and you don't have any sort of privacy not to mention the background noise. Until we get 2001 level voice detection it isn't worth it in my books, sort of like the motion control fad.

The swipe keyboard on android on the other hand is awesome for the smaller keypad.

Edit

As Kyrten said, voice recognition isn't just Apple, all smartphones that I know of have it on it.

You do know that iPhones have 3 microphones, 2 of them are used to cancel out background noise right? And iOS has a feature where you just raise your phone to your ear and Siri activates, making it look as if you are calling someone.

What I like about Apple is that they already think for you.

When you are taking about motion control I can also laugh at how funny it is to see a Samsung person wave his hand over his phone and yelling "work dammit!"

High quality. Sure what does that mean. It defiently doesn't include the screen or the battery, or the camera. I think that the apple stores may look silly and out of place.

I don't see what your point about the microphones is. I was talking from expirence. My prior points still stand.

I agree that the motion control system on Android is iffy, nothing is perfect and I wish they didn't waste money devloping it.

You do know that iPhones have 3 microphones, 2 of them are used to cancel out background noise right?

Yes. It still doesn't work, and it still makes you look like a tit to try it.

What I like about Apple is that they already think for you.

I'm sure you do, looking through this thread. Do you have any actual experience with android devices? You still seem to have no idea there's anything other than Samsung devices, and even official Apple media has more nuance than that. Have you heard of Tizen?

Just a couple comments on the net:

Apple were the first to have the original idea of a touch screen phone, and called it the iPhone. After copyrighting it, they were soon to be copied by Samsung. If I was head of Apple, I'd sue Samsung. Also, Apple's technology is sleeker and more efficient than that of Samsung. The Macbook Air is trendy and smart, and Samsung can't compete with that!
It is the best

Apple is original! Apple was the first to have the original idea of a touch screen phone, and called it the iPhone.

They were copied by Samsung. Also, Apple's technology is much better and more efficient than Samsung.

The iPhone is simple and easy to use. The picture quality is far superior! Apple has about so many apps that Samsung doesn’t have.

We would never have any of this technology without Steve jobs .

My opinion is:

After iphone 5c and iphone 5s had come apple was back in the game there was no way Samsung can win this time!]

Apple is better

Apple is better as Samsung has been copying it all the time. You can clearly see how Samsung has completely based it's products on Apple's iPhone, iPad, and even iPod. Apple products don't glitch and they work much faster than Samsung's Products. Has anyone noticed how Samsung even copied Siri after the iPhone 4S was announced?

Just a couple comments on the net:

Well now we see where your inspiration comes from. Hive mind?

And I don't know, does Apple have tablets or smartphones with pressure-sensitive precision stylus sensors? You know, for sketching things that don't end up looking made with a mouse in Paint?

Me, I've got a Samsung tablet PC for less than I would have gotten an iPad, and Win8 quirks disregarded it's the best thing for working on the go. My mother has a 2010 model 11'' Note, and there's nothing to complain about so far. Samsung just happens to make a lot more than just tablets, so it has some broadness of experience to apply, while Apple... well, like I said, they're kind of stuck in their own furrow. I can't fault their business model, it's pretty apparent that it works, but right now they look like Nintendo, if Nintendo got to the Gameboy Advance and just kept "updating" it and adding bells and whistles to it without innovating further or expanding. Granted, they seem to be doing that with the DS right now, but still. Profitable? Yes. Works for a lot of people? Apparently. But flexible and adaptable it ain't.

For me, the choice is really easy. I use Android, because I can't buy any apps from Apple.

Right now my job requires me to move to a different country once in a year or two. As I don't have any real ties to the country I'm living in at the moment, I use credit cards issued by a bank in my home country. Because the billing addresses of those credit cards are in my country of residence, Apple doesn't allow me to register them for use in App Store. As a result, iPhones and iPads are just expensive toys that can't be used for anything.

OK, you're a fanboy, we get it. This thread was never intended to be a discussion.

I think it's still salvageable, plenty of other folks have chimed in with more reasoned arguments. Just refrain from responding to the OP's gibbering.

Narrowing the debate down to Samsung vs Apple is missing a lot of the point too. Like I said earlier, we've ended up with a few Samsung devices around the house, and to be honest some of the things I don't like about them are the same things that I think suck about Apple. For example, Samsung use their own implementation of DLNA calle AllShare. This seems to work beautifully between actual Samsung AllShare-capable devices, but trying to get the same functionality over regular DLNA is patchy. It really irks me when manufacturers break interoperability standards like that. The intention is obviously to force us consumers to file quietly into their little walled garden. So both Apple and Samsung get marked down for this in my view.

Luckily when it comes to Android the ecosystem is much bigger than just Samsung, as things like all the recent hype about the One Plus One shows.

If someone asks me: "Are you an Apple Fanboy?" then i say "Yes, sure!!"

I am an Apple Fanboy because there are plenty reasons for me to be one. Apple makes the better phone for my taste and needs. It is easy as that.

I tried everything out and IMO Apple phones are the better ones. Anyone likes something else better? I have no problem with that, use what you like.

Just don't say you know you have the best phone if you did not try everything out. :sticktongue:

Luckily when it comes to Android the ecosystem is much bigger than just Samsung, as things like all the recent hype about the One Plus One shows.

And Samsung is bigger than android, which makes the op question make even less sense. They have phones using in-house OS's (Bada and Tizen) as well as this monstrosity;

Samsung_Ativ_S.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.