Currency names

gameover

Occasionally in our universe there are splits, or forks, in the spacetime continuum which produce an alternate reality. It is the nature of these splits that they often go undetected by most humans. However sometimes they are recognized by a minority of the population.

For example when the band KISS started using the makeup again, but substituted other musicians in place of Peter & Ace. Another example of this phenomenon is the selling of the Star Wars franchise to Disney Studios.

Well it has happened again... when Squad decided not to use a K-word for the Kerbal currency.

I call them Kerbits. Funds is boring. Plus, with Funds, you can imagine the conversation when kerbals created their little government:

"We need a name for our currency. We'd use a K name, but we're narcissistic enough already..."

"How about Funds?"

"Funds?"

"Yeah, like a candy bar costs 1 Funds."

"But that doesn't even... ah, whatever, I'm tired anyway. Funds it is, lets go home!"

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised mods haven't closed this, as it was "necro'd" from a post that's older than 15 minutes~ :trollface:

I've been calling them Spacebucks, but I do kinda like the Spesos suggestion.

I call 'em space bucks too (only with a space*)~

* yo dawg, I heard you like space, so we put a space in your space bucks so you can space while you space-buy things!

Actually, it is Kerbol. Officially.

Um, that's only the official community-driven wiki, it's not the Word of Squad. Also the entry for Kerbol indicates that it's a forum-given name.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbol#Trivia

There's no sign in the game proper that Kerbol is the star's name, it's referred to as 'Sun' in all player-visible contexts that I've seen (ex. in tracking, double click on it, and it says "Sun" in the Info panel).

I'd actually like it to be the official name...

Actually, it is Kerbol. Officially.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Main_Page

Sorry friend, but that is not official. Click on Kerbol. First line, and I quote: "Kerbol (officially called the Sun, and sometimes the Star) is the parent star of the planetary system in KSP, popularly referred to as the Kerbol System."

Trivia on same page: "The name “Kerbol†was created by forum members and never appears in the game. Officially, the star is simply referred to as “the Sun," though the lead developer mentioned that its name could change once the need to differentiate it from other stars arises."

Also, this thread is two months old.

,snip>

Um, that's only the official community-driven wiki, it's not the Word of Squad. Also the entry for Kerbol indicates that it's a forum-given name.

<snip>

I'd actually like it to be the official name...

Sorry friend, but that is not official. Click on Kerbol. First line, and I quote: "Kerbol (officially called the Sun, and sometimes the Star) is the parent star of the planetary system in KSP, popularly referred to as the Kerbol System."

Trivia on same page: "The name “Kerbol†was created by forum members and never appears in the game. Officially, the star is simply referred to as “the Sun," though the lead developer mentioned that its name could change once the need to differentiate it from other stars arises."

Also, this thread is two months old.

I stand corrected. My bad and apologies to r4pt0r.

Even so, since Kerbin is an Earth analog and our sun is correctly referred to as Sol, I think the light and life giving analog of the Kerbins should be Kerbol. Would be nice if Squad endorsed that idea, but hey it's their game and their rules.

2.5 Necroposting

Posting in a thread that has not received a new message in a defined span of three months is known as “necropostingâ€Â.

Edited by TranceaddicT

Even so, since Kerbin is an Earth analog and our sun is correctly referred to as Sol, I think the light and life giving analog of the Kerbins should be Kerbol.

Not actually true. The Sun is just that. The Sun. Sun is its name. Sol is just Latin for Sun, and both terms are interchangeable. Scientific circles favour neither name, but to my knowledge "Sun" is used more frequently. Sol is not the "correct" or "scientific" name, it's just its name in Latin.

And I think we've heard quite enough off-topic discussion, from the arguing over whether it's a necropost and should be closed, to this argument over the name of the Sun in KSP.

This thread is about the name of the currency in KSP. Please keep things on-topic, or we will step in.

Edited by vexx32

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.