EVE mysteries

KerbStar

there is an extremely small chance it could be water as the pressure might change waters boiling point enough, but we don't now accurate readings of the temp on eve to know for sure. I personally think it is rocket fuel

How is Eve more deadly than other planets/moons?

The incredibly thick atmosphere means that parachutes are extremely effective, and depending on what your ship is made of you don't always need them. Getting off is impossible, but those who are there don't die. Of course, I've never sent a Kerbal there because I know I couldn't get them back, so I don't actually know, but I can't see why it would kill anyone. Now Tylo and Jool on the other hand, eat Kerbals for breakfast*.

*Actually they've never killed any of my Kerbals for the same reason as Eve. I've never sent anything into Jool's atmosphere other than to aerobrake, and I've never sent anything to Tylo ever. The planet/moon with the highest bodycount in my games would have to be the Mun, because I went there first and several Kerbals died in the process, and also because in my latest playthrough I was careless tried to land on the dark side without lights. That said, that Kerbal was not a part of my space program yet and thus I feel no guilt. (He was trapped in LKO and I had him take a detour to the Mun before going home)

Also, in response to the "water therefore life" comment: Water doesn't guarantee life. Plenty of moons and dwarf planets in our solar system have water. We haven't explored them and don't know if they have life, but we don't automatically assume that they have life just because they have water.

Edited by No one

The getting off part is what makes Eve deadly. The only Kerbal in my game to die there on arrival died to one of the wings of his plane spontainioiusly falling off fo no reason. Most others have died while taking off, while trying to take off, or falling back becuase they didn't achieve orbit.

Eve is an Extremly hostile planet. Its based on Venus after all. Venus is not a place you want to go and there is most probably no life on Venus. Sure in KSP it's not literally Deadly because there isn't any heat or air-pressure damage, otherwise it would be very hard to even land there.

The Oceans are probably no water but maybe Mercury or maybe some mixture of materials, which are liquid under this pressure. And even Water does not mean Life. Life probably needs Water but Water doesn't produce life. As known today elementary Oxygen is a much better indicator for life, since nature seems to bind it in molecules and just life-forms produe new O2 and O3. So Laythe has probably some Plant-micro-life. But i dont think Eve has. Google for Venus and compare.

The most deadly part of Eve for my lone mission there was uneven ground. As soon as any part of my very heavy ship touched the ground on the uphill side, all of the many parachutes cut and the ship swung down and banged into the surface. I eventually got tired of retrying after finding progressively more level landing sites that I used the debug menu to make my ship unbreakable for the instant of touchdown. With enough planning and estimation that was the only deadly part I couldn't work around without tediously searching for a perfectly flat landing site.

Side note: I would love to eventually see signs of life elsewhere in the Kerbiverse. The planets with liquids are especially good candidates!

Edited by Mesons
Added a side note instead of posting again

Haven't tried it yet, but my plan to get out of Eve's atmosphere lies in Hooligan Labs Airship parts mod. For those of you who run strictly stock, I hear you, I try to keep my craft files as mod-free as possible. But a few select mod parts are nice.

Anyway, make a lander with a deployable airship envelope mounted on top that can be jettisoned. When you want to leave Eve, deploy the envelope to it's max, let the high density atmosphere shoot your lander up as high as it will go. As soon as your vertical velocity starts to slow to a trickle, jettison the air envelope and light the rocket engines. With any luck, you should be "launching" from a more favorable atmo density when you activate the engines for ascent.

Again, haven't tried it yet, but this is the only way I can think of besides somehow building a lander with an ungodly amount of fuel.

But on Earth: We get fish. (Im not in kerbal mode on this comment :)) The fish dont breath air so maybes EVE has water. Or a deadly water like the deadly atmosphere. Eve is bigger but it could bring fish down to the floor. The floor is probs spiky and then the fish will die. ANOTHER MYSTERY :cool:

My kerbals had never landed on its surface because The gravity is almost 2.0g. So the rocket falls and goes: CRASH BANG KABOOM. Then I see debris all over with my 3 kerbals in a pod.

I start to mess with em cuz I cant help it :confused: but they die of the gravity pulling them to the surface. ;.;

They is a possible chance half of the sea can be H20. :).

One rocket I launched was a Rover. It was going well until It crashed to my nearest rocket :(. Its impossible life could life could spread there.

Haven't tried it yet, but my plan to get out of Eve's atmosphere lies in Hooligan Labs Airship parts mod. For those of you who run strictly stock, I hear you, I try to keep my craft files as mod-free as possible. But a few select mod parts are nice.

Anyway, make a lander with a deployable airship envelope mounted on top that can be jettisoned. When you want to leave Eve, deploy the envelope to it's max, let the high density atmosphere shoot your lander up as high as it will go. As soon as your vertical velocity starts to slow to a trickle, jettison the air envelope and light the rocket engines. With any luck, you should be "launching" from a more favorable atmo density when you activate the engines for ascent.

Again, haven't tried it yet, but this is the only way I can think of besides somehow building a lander with an ungodly amount of fuel.

This works like a charm, and with some time and design work it would be possible to make an Eve SSTO this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent

There very well could be life on Venus, but nothing extravagant or complex. Same with titan, and various other moons.

The problem is keeping the sensitive life detecting instruments intact long enough to detect life in these environments.

to put things in prespective, Jool is a 1:1 Earth scale as far as the kerbal system goes. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.