How to reduce science gains

Don't know how to mod the science gain but the obvious answer is staring you in the face. If you don't want to complete the science tree with just Mun and Minmus then don't go there! Nobody says you must milk Mun and Minmus dry before leaving kerbin's SOI.

Don't know how to mod the science gain but the obvious answer is staring you in the face. If you don't want to complete the science tree with just Mun and Minmus then don't go there! Nobody says you must milk Mun and Minmus dry before leaving kerbin's SOI.

While that is true, its still a half solution. I hate that so many games these days has to have self imposed rules in order for them to be challenging. Modding it at least helps immersion.

Hi,

Use Tree Loader - It seems as tho I play 'Ironman' mode with no cre respawn, no quicksave unless game problem, and no revert - BUT with the added challenge of increased Science cost in the Tech Tree.

IE vertical line nodes cost go up dramatically - 100-150-250-500-750-1000 in the upper node lines... the contracts are making up for the Science - so far it has been a very good challenge for me. I also moved the engines and parts around to give even more challenge in the beginning, and changed a few Science parts to make it more 'survivable'. The plane stuff costs were actually lowered a tad to make it more lucrative.

I stream almost every nite if you have questions on the tree pop in !

Cmdr Zeta

Using module manager, you can lower the science for all the experiments. The following lines work for me (put into a .cfg file in the gamedata folder):

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]
{
@baseValue *= 0.4
@scienceCap *= 0.4
// Preserve the original file size.
@dataScale /= 0.4
}

This will multiply the science gain from any experiment by 0.4. The science from contracts is not changed.

Hi,

Also the thing is to find a happy medium where the game doesnt get tedious but still requires a little grind and leaves room for mistakes; youmay end up with no Science or funds to do either depending on how you work the Tech Tree. I also see the contracts bring up experiemental parts; at first I thought you had to research the node before you could test the part so in one instance I researched the node and didnt know; basically lost 100 Science; so you could in effect require yourself to research the entire node prior to doing the contract in which the experimental part is in; that is how I thought the Contracts worked; and in my next game restart I plan on doing just that !

(Wow I looked at that BTSM-mod (and deadly re-entry) - this looks really interesting especially the Solar panals changes)

It made for a totally different game I was used to (!); I still streamlined all my parts !

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
addendum

I think that the science values are generally fine for the Mun and Minmus, but the issue is that when you multiply that by the number of biomes there are, you get tons and tons of science for repeatedly doing the same thing.

Is there a mod that reduces the science you get for just changing biomes? Basically, something that gives you less than 100% of the science for just changing biomes but more than what you get for repeating the exact same experiment in the exact same place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.