Cost Efficient Duna Ships???

does a lot of videos with minmaxing. This video contains a rocket that's Gilly capable with only 7 parts (6 with the advent of the orange fuel tank and 7 again with a parachute)

It also does not include stack separators, but you probably have the money to include them.

By adding a few more radial parachutes and actual landing legs it might make a workable Duna ship. might.

I'll test if it works by launching my own mission now ^^

Edited by Imaginer1

Well, this isn't cost effective. It may be over engineered. It's actually made for a trip to the surface and back to Kerbin while plucking Duna of every bit of science.

And it has to work with a mobile space lab and probably a tanker for the trip back. I haven't truly the round trip yet, but it should work.

2v1ryuo.jpg

A bare bone one way Duna or Eve rocket for probe landing. You will need to use aerobraking to capture for landing.

McfPcKF.jpg

From a challenge of the 10 part two stage design;

NCZOsRY.jpg

IaGDwyp.jpg

It even made Jool and Laythe

ivwzaTb.jpg

Plan on that design being a one way mission as well.

Not the most cost effective, but I've got one that I think is reasonably cheap for a single launch round trip run to Duna for one Kerbal in the 0.24.x version. Total cost is just shy of $62k, for something like 12km/s dV. Obviously the radial decouplers on the lander needs to switch places with the parachutes for staging, or you know major malfunctions will occur. I haven't flown it yet, I'm waiting to see if I can tweak the lander design a bit after I get back science from doing some Mun landings. I've already farmed out Minmus.

If it's in the tech tree for you, I might replace the side chutes on the lander with drogues, or clip some drogues in with the Mk16's pictured... I'm not sure if you can re-pack them without clipping in a strut/girder of some kind. To emulate this design, note that the RT-10's are at 33% or so, if you only run six of those boosters feeding a skipper engine, that can be bumped to 42%.

Picture:

ueSSnUg.jpg?1

Rough mission profile: use the first two stages to get almost to orbit, might by tricky given the low TWR of the 2nd and 3rd stages, might drop the poodle stage to a -16 tank instead of a -32 to keep the lifter happy and not overloaded. Then use the poodle to get me to duna, and hopefully a low orbit of Ike. Drop poodle stage at the last second, land, collect science, go land at duna, collect the rest of the science, repack chutes, take off for home, drop lander's side tanks when they're dry (possibly during ascent from Duna) and then use the remaining fuel to get home and return what I hope is a giant butt-load of science for a mission to... whatever the next contract is.

Edited by Sleepy_Steve

Under the new contract system, I made a somewhat budget-conscious Duna ship. It's costly on the pad, for sure, but most of it is completely recoverable.

About 280k funds:

yPfzbsy.jpg

Recovery of ascent stage:

05QjkeM.jpg

Arrival:

0gWOPDh.jpg

Landed: (I actually landed on Duna twice, and Ike once)

2n5Oq4S.jpg

Recovery:

HoIL35a.jpg

Entire mission:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by NecroBones

• 2 weeks later...
Not the most cost effective, but I've got one that I think is reasonably cheap for a single launch round trip run to Duna for one Kerbal in the 0.24.x version. Total cost is just shy of $62k, for something like 12km/s dV. Obviously the radial decouplers on the lander needs to switch places with the parachutes for staging, or you know major malfunctions will occur. I haven't flown it yet, I'm waiting to see if I can tweak the lander design a bit after I get back science from doing some Mun landings. I've already farmed out Minmus.

If it's in the tech tree for you, I might replace the side chutes on the lander with drogues, or clip some drogues in with the Mk16's pictured... I'm not sure if you can re-pack them without clipping in a strut/girder of some kind. To emulate this design, note that the RT-10's are at 33% or so, if you only run six of those boosters feeding a skipper engine, that can be bumped to 42%.

Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/ueSSnUg.jpg?1

Rough mission profile: use the first two stages to get almost to orbit, might by tricky given the low TWR of the 2nd and 3rd stages, might drop the poodle stage to a -16 tank instead of a -32 to keep the lifter happy and not overloaded. Then use the poodle to get me to duna, and hopefully a low orbit of Ike. Drop poodle stage at the last second, land, collect science, go land at duna, collect the rest of the science, repack chutes, take off for home, drop lander's side tanks when they're dry (possibly during ascent from Duna) and then use the remaining fuel to get home and return what I hope is a giant butt-load of science for a mission to... whatever the next contract is.

Mission update, added drogue chutes to the design and a couple of struts to the outer tanks of the lander. Made it to the Duna system, landed on Ike, scienced, then landed on Duna. After landing on Duna, doing more science, and re-adjusting staging for landing I had ~4km dV to get me home in the lander. Was able to get about 1100 science from completing contracts and transmitting eva/crew reports before heading home. It's currently in orbit around duna waiting on the transfer window home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.