0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

So, basically you're only respectable when complaining about the wasted potential in this game if you're a modder or a Youtuber or someone else who brings content to the community? Maybe you and the the rest of the Super SQUAD Defenders could remember that next time you're on the case?

No, you are only respectable when you don't complain about the as of yet unrealized potential in this as of yet incomplete game. If you missed all the warnings about that incompleteness when buying, sorry. The seller is obliged to tell but cannot force the buyer to understand.

So... now all of the discussion about progress in game development and management is forbidden because we knew that we bought an early access game? That's what you are trying to say?

No. But pointless complaining about things we cannot have even half the full picture of should be.

Let alone saying Squad is doing it wrong based on a handful of dev updates.

No, you are only respectable when you don't complain about the as of yet unrealized potential in this as of yet incomplete game.

Wait, the game is "as-of-yet incomplete"? Anyway that makes no sense: one can only guess about the "unrealized potential" of this game because SQUAD hasn't published a roadmap. There's also plenty of dev confirmations about features that will be included or not included to make judgements about the wasted potential in this game.

I have a sneaky feeling that something not many people have thought of is on the horizon for .25

Whilst people think them buying up Porkjet's Spaceplane means an atmosphere update is on the way, i think that because they also announced crew transfer is incoming, that might lend it in another direction...

...spacestation update. a) make it into space easier with Porkjet's parts B) make transferring to stations easier without EVA... and then c) adding contracts for spacestations and spacestation science goals.

Just a guess, but one that seems to fit the facts more than some other guesses out there.

So, basically you're only respectable when complaining about the wasted potential in this game if you're a modder or a Youtuber or someone else who brings content to the community? Maybe you and the the rest of the Super SQUAD Defenders could remember that next time you're on the case?

Not at all. It's easy to have an opinion, as you can see, everybody has one. I'm challenging people like yourselves to step up, stop saying you know better, show us you know better. Write the program, create Regex's Space Program. Show us all how much better you can do things. Squad, for better or for worse, is at least putting in an effort. Agree, disagree, it's all just words until you do something about it.

Not at all. It's easy to have an opinion, as you can see, everybody has one. I'm challenging people like yourselves to step up, stop saying you know better, show us you know better. Write the program, create Regex's Space Program. Show us all how much better you can do things. Squad, for better or for worse, is at least putting in an effort. Agree, disagree, it's all just words until you do something about it.

Complaining is a valid part of the feedback loop that is one of the big advantages for developers of early release software. As for only "doers" having the right to complain, that's just nonsense. I'm a player but not a programmer or youtuber, but that doesn't mean my feedback isn't useful. I don't need to have a food show or be a chef to know my steak is overdone at a restaurant, either.

But pointless complaining about things we cannot have even half the full picture of should be.

No idea what this sentence means.

Let alone saying Squad is doing it wrong based on a handful of dev updates.

Development and the amount of devs update / communication with the community are two different things. Don't mix them together.

Agree, disagree, it's all just words until you do something about it.

Thing is, early access games, its the early access players (read: us) who give the majority of feedback. they look to our praise and our complaints to see where they need to improve, or keep things the same. they aren't required to listen, heavens no, but they created a forum with various boards(namely the "support & bugs" and the "suggestions & development") to help them receive that feedback.

so complaining is, in a way, doing something about it.

I'm challenging people like yourselves to step up, stop saying you know better, show us you know better. Write the program, create Regex's Space Program. Show us all how much better you can do things. Squad, for better or for worse, is at least putting in an effort. Agree, disagree, it's all just words until you do something about it.

So what you're saying is that people who criticize someone else's product, that they bought, should instead do the work to make the product what they want? Red Iron Crown sums up quite nicely why your argument here is wrong. Also, as an early-access purchaser I most certainly have a vested interest in the direction the game takes; I bought a product on future promises. Now, while that may not really entitle me to anything in particular, it does mean I have every right to complain about the future of said product when that future looks bleak from where I stand.

Also, WHY does everyone capitalize my nickname?

Also, WHY does everyone capitalize my nickname?

Habit for proper nouns I'd guess. I'd hate to upset Regex with a grammatical error.

Moving on from all this unpleasantness, where in KSC do you think they will place the admin building?

Edited by r4pt0r

Regarding the Mk1 parts, well there's not a lot to them really. It's not a size as such, just an alternate name for a few 1.25 m parts, and because it's the 1.25 m size there's not a need for many parts. We have two cockpits - I think the old "Mk 2 cockpit" should be renamed since it's actually Mk1/1.25 m size - a jet fuel tank and a structural fuselage. An improved mass fractions on the jet fuel tank and a half-length version would be nice, ditto a half-length structural fuselage, but what else is there really to add? Passenger fuselage maybe, like a skinny version of the hitchhiker, that's about it.

Regarding the Mk1 parts, well there's not a lot to them really. It's not a size as such, just an alternate name for a few 1.25 m parts, and because it's the 1.25 m size there's not a need for many parts. We have two cockpits - I think the old "Mk 2 cockpit" should be renamed since it's actually Mk1/1.25 m size - a jet fuel tank and a structural fuselage. An improved mass fractions on the jet fuel tank and a half-length version would be nice, ditto a half-length structural fuselage, but what else is there really to add? Passenger fuselage maybe, like a skinny version of the hitchhiker, that's about it.

True, but many first-timers use it due to the fact that it's easily compatible with the existing rocket 1.25m line, making it easier to incorporate RAPIERS/a Jet+Rocket combo. I personally don't use it as much with the addition of SP+ to my install because, as you said, it doesn't do much otherwise, but it helps a lot in other designs (ex. to mount engines to a Mk2 part)

I'd love a tandem 2-seat 1.25m pod, like a stretched Mk2 cockpit. Two Mk2s or lander cans generally looks awful IMO.

I was seriously going to say this, then I thought, no this isn't the thread for that. Seems I was wrong :P

Yes a 2-seat 1.25 pod would be most delightful.

I'd love a tandem 2-seat 1.25m pod, like a stretched Mk2 cockpit. Two Mk2s or lander cans generally looks awful IMO.

I wish I could add that ASCII text you see on Steam, where it says "VALVE SQUAD ADD THIS". I hope it looks a bit like the Mk2 2-man cockpit in B9, but on a Mk1 platform.

Gosh do these cockpits look simply gorgeous! 0.25 is going to rock, isn't it? :D

#PuttingTheTrainBackOnTheTracks

you are sitting in the station when the train isn't expected for quite some time lol.

I'm personally looking forward to the code cleanup. It's going to make an absolute mess out of current mods and probably invalidate a ton of old mods, but anything that makes modding KSP easier is awesome in my book (because lordy, does this game ever need mods to function...) Hopefully we'll also get some more private members exposed, like maybe the current conics draw limit (hint, hint!)

Well, If they revamp the Old "Mk 2" cockpit, they might make it so if you put that behind the Mk 1, it looks like a tandom two seater. You can do this now, it just doesn't look all to great.

But won't that make the Mk2 look bad if it's placed on it's own?

Well, If they revamp the Old "Mk 2" cockpit, they might make it so if you put that behind the Mk 1, it looks like a tandom two seater. You can do this now, it just doesn't look all to great.

While that would be good in and of itself, it's not quite the same thing as you lose the front 1.25m node.

My suggestion may be completely fueled by my love of the F-14.