Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

I think I may have spotted the problem with Procedural Fairings. The parts that represent when the upgrades take place in the tech tree are being defined, but I don't see anything changing the actual sizing unlocks. So for example while the 6m dummy part is showing up as defined under "veryLargeFairings" PF actual unlock is still defined as "heavyAerodynamics" Don't know if it's the only thing going on but it might be related to why the sizes doesn't seem to unlock with this tree.

I think I have found a solution to this problem:

With the 0.90 update, Proc Fairings removed single parts and added size changes with a right-click menu. The new tech requirements for that menu can be found under ...\GameData\ProceduralFairings\common.cfg: "PROCFAIRINGS_MINDIAMETER" and "PROCFAIRINGS_MAXDIAMETER"

This is how I modified the file for now:

PROCFAIRINGS_MINDIAMETER
{
start = 1.00
precisionEngineering = 0.500
sandbox = 0.1
}

PROCFAIRINGS_MAXDIAMETER
{
start = 1.50
largeFairings = 3.0
veryLargeFairings = 6
veryLargeFairings = 10
sandbox = 50
}

This also means most old parts can be removed from the tech tree and if I understand the code properly, we can now add new middle steps for the size (by hand only?) as we see fit (not sure on it tho) or as we unlock new tank sizes.

Edited by YouR_DooM

I've found an incompatibility with MechJeb; the node that SAYS it unlocks the third set of mechjeb features (Advanced Landing) does not, and the one that unlocks it in the base game (Unmanned Tech) does. Not sure if this is a problem with the Mod-Oriented Tech Tree or with MechJeb itself.

For those of you figuring out the problems with mechjeb and proc fairings, it'd be very helpful if you write the module manager corrections when you find an error. Post them here and I'll look at them when I get a chance and include them in the download.

- - - Updated - - -

You should consider shuffling the reworked IR parts a bit around between Actuators and Robotics. I only play with the reworked parts and the Actuators node did not show up because I did not have anything else from that node. And that way I could not research Robotics and access the IR parts there.

For the MSI parts, which would you suggest moving to an earlier node? I don't know really how to rank the parts in terms of usefulness based on the few times I've used them.

For those of you figuring out the problems with mechjeb and proc fairings, it'd be very helpful if you write the module manager corrections when you find an error. Post them here and I'll look at them when I get a chance and include them in the download.

- - - Updated - - -

For the MSI parts, which would you suggest moving to an earlier node? I don't know really how to rank the parts in terms of usefulness based on the few times I've used them.

I am not that savvy with IR either, yet, but for my game I moved all the "basic" parts to Actuators.

You're awesome. I usually play with ALL this mods and i always wanted to have some realistic tech tree to put it togever)

The only thing I can suggest now is DeepFreeze (there are only one part but it's always kinda cheaty then you put it in the tree by yourself=)).

And ASET mods, do you have ASET?)

Sorry, I don't know enough about module manager to make a correction. I just unlocked the parts through the normal tech tree nodes. It seems to be something unique about how MechJeb manages its successive upgrades to a single part, rather than providing new parts; the unlock nodes are hard-coded in the MechJeb part files (which is how I diagnosed the error in the first place).

I pretty much figured out the problem with MechJeb but I'm not familiar enough with ModuleManager to fix it. The culprits are the method UnlockCheck() in ComputerModule.cs and this section in the part.cfg of the pod and AR202 modules:

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}

What it does is it checks for both the part and the unlocked tech node for some reason while only the part's requirement gets changed but the requirement for the unlocked tech node (as defined in the above snippet) does not.

Changing the instances of advUnmanned to advMetalWorks and unmannedTech to advLanding directly in my MJ2 part.cfg files fixed the missing options for me.

Hi all,

Little problem : i have added a mod (CactEye2 http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105660-0-90-CactEye-2-Orbital-Telescope-BETA-5) that is not supported by this tree: i can see the parts in the VAB, but not in the tree.

Second problem : i use the Warp Drive plugin (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798-0-90-Alcubierre-Warp-Drive-%28Stand-alone%29-v0-1-0-2014-12-16), but i can't see the parts, not even in the VAB. This plugin has been installed before Mod-Oriented tech tree, and it is a supported plugin... any idea ? I have just finished to unlock each science node and no warpdrive .. how will i get to eeloo now ?? ;)

Is there a github or something where we can push our own modification ? And a list of suggested mod to be supported ?

[edit]

Sorry for CactEye, it is perfectly integrated (even if i think an "orbital telescope" node at early stages and gradually dispatch cameras through science levels would be more "roleplay" ;)).

About the warp drive, it is present in the configuration files, but the tech depends on other tech that i cannot unlock since it only contains KSPI parts and i don't have KSPi installe. Is KSPi supposed to work with 0.90 ?

[/edit]

Edited by gcube

Every time I think something isn't in the tree, it just turns out I haven't looked hard enough xD

Cvod will have to confirm, but I'm fairly sure that anything that isn't recognised by this tree will end up in its default nodes? Which may or may not be in a place you remember them being...

Did these changes work for anyone else? I can't seem to get it to work properly.

I pretty much figured out the problem with MechJeb but I'm not familiar enough with ModuleManager to fix it. The culprits are the method UnlockCheck() in ComputerModule.cs and this section in the part.cfg of the pod and AR202 modules:

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}

What it does is it checks for both the part and the unlocked tech node for some reason while only the part's requirement gets changed but the requirement for the unlocked tech node (as defined in the above snippet) does not.

Changing the instances of advUnmanned to advMetalWorks and unmannedTech to advLanding directly in my MJ2 part.cfg files fixed the missing options for me.

Did you upgrade your tracking station to level 2 in your test save?

Some of the autopilot features are apparently hardcoded to need an upgraded Tracking station (for obvious reasons as they work with maneuver nodes) which I doubt you can change on your side. Somewhat bad behaviour on MJ2's part though for not being explicit in the individual module prerequisites.

Edited by zergl

Svod, thanks for this tech mod!

This techtree really makes the KSP+mods experience, so much more logical in comparison to stock and I started playing KSP not too long ago only because of the NF mod I was following since 2014. This really saved my KSP experience and makes me look forward to start in Career mode.

Anyway, some balance things I did ran into regarding NF fuel tanks, stock science + DM orbital science and some nuclear engine mods (FTmN+AtomicAge).

First of. It felt like the LARGE NF hydrogen fuel tanks, especially, were unlock-able too early on. (Made a personal edit so the NF hydrogen-25/125/rad-25 are the only tanks available at Nuclear Power node. The rest come after.)

Second thing. About most stock science equipment + DM Orbital Science. Some parts are not placed 'logically' for when playing with DM Orbital Science parts. Especially the parts from nodes 'Science' to 'Even More Science'. Experimental Science node look ok.

FTmN parts seems changed, the 280 for instance is no longer in the pack?

If any want to know what I rearranged in detail let me know.

Svod, again my thanks!

Edited by Gkirmathal
typo's

First; let me just say Thank You for this great mod. Works so well with my hardcore career mode. :D

Second; I see you had put the "Planned Supported Mods" and "*These will probably only be implemented if requested". So, if it hasn't been done already i would like to humbly request the implementation of FASA and HGR (Although HGR is undergoing a "Mod Reboot" so maybe best to wait on that one?). Either way Thanks again!

Thanks for the effort with this mod, but it isn't working 100% for me.

Installed this mod and started a new save:

Accepted the first 2 contracts (Launch a vessel, reach 5000m) and launched a small probe-core-rocket. First contract gets completed but when my vessel reaches 5000m and more the contract isn't completed. As soon as I removed this mod it was working again.

Thanks for the effort with this mod, but it isn't working 100% for me.

Installed this mod and started a new save:

Accepted the first 2 contracts (Launch a vessel, reach 5000m) and launched a small probe-core-rocket. First contract gets completed but when my vessel reaches 5000m and more the contract isn't completed. As soon as I removed this mod it was working again.

Probes currently don't work with height based contracts, sorry.

Was that with or without the mechjeb_fixes.cfg?

I changed mechjeb_fixes.cfg as follows:

@MechJebModuleDockingGuidance 
{
@unlockTechs = automation
}
@MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow
{
}
@MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance
{
}
}

normally, each 'automation' says advMetalWorks

Once the technology is researched (and relevant upgrades to buildings are built) those panels unlocked for me.

I changed mechjeb_fixes.cfg as follows:

@MechJebModuleDockingGuidance 
{
}
@MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow
{
}
@MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance
{
}
}

normally, each 'automation' says advMetalWorks

Once the technology is researched (and relevant upgrades to buildings are built) those panels unlocked for me.

This confuses me. I don't know why it'll work for some nodes but not others. I don't think I want to move it to automation (not definite), so I'd still like to figure out how what's going on with this.

This confuses me. I don't know why it'll work for some nodes but not others. I don't think I want to move it to automation (not definite), so I'd still like to figure out how what's going on with this.

I wish I knew enough about it to be sure what's happening and why. Perhaps it has something to do with the way building-unlocks affect Mechjeb?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.