Steam and KSP

If I own KSP on Steam, can I get on another computer, and download and play KSP without downloading Steam, maybe by putting in my Steam login info or something? Just wondering.

Edited by Imaginer1
answered

The KSP file has no DRM. You can just copy the folder onto a USB drive, take that USB drive to another computer, and open it on the other computer.

The file will be in one of the following locations depending on your OS:

• Windows x86: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program
  • Windows x64: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program
  • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program
  • Linux: ~/Steam/, alternatively in ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

Edited by No one

Not sure where you'd like to download it, but I'm sure it will work if you copy the KSP file and run the KSP apk.. eeehm, exe or however that was called in the game directory. That worked for a friend of mine without even having to change something steam-related, just move it somewhere. But why don't you download it via steam? :D

If you want to play it through Steam then you need to download it. Steam will let you play your games* on multiple computers as you are only using one at a time (though there is some new sharing/family something feature that I haven't look at yet). Once you download Steam (it's not very big, especially compared to the size of any game) you can choose which games from your library you want installed on that computer.

Maybe you can explain what situation exists where you are willing to download and install KSP (>1000mb), enter your Steam login but have a problem installing Steam (<100mb)

*Check the information panel on the right side of each game's store page to ensure there is no extra DRM. Some games from publishers like EA may include additional DRM that restricts how many computers you can install the game on.

I don't have a problem installing Steam, I just don't want to because I don't want to install more games. It's a primarily school-issued computer (I'm a high school senior) and the administrator has to authorize every installation- if I get KSP, that's putting in the password twice. (Once to put it in applications, once to authorize its use). If I get Steam, that's four times- once to put it in applications, once to authorize it, and once to authorize steamclean, and then to authorize KSP.

I just don't want to make a hassle for the admin because I won't be getting any other games on here. The flash drive solution is perfect.

@Apollo13

...the administrator has to authorize every installation- if I get KSP, that's putting in the password twice. (Once to put it in applications, once to authorize its use). If I get Steam, that's four times- once to put it in applications, once to authorize it, and once to authorize steamclean, and then to authorize KSP.

I know Steam doesn't automatically install games. Ok?

In this situation, just copy the KSP folder onto a USB stick. If you have a good stick you can run it straight from there, otherwise copy it to your laptop. You might not even need administrator intervention to run it, depending on whether the computer's been really locked down or not.

• 2 months later...

I tried running KSP from a school computer, it loaded all the parts but then it crashed. No error or anything, just 'poof'. Do I need to install anything like Unity or anything. Help would be much appreciated. I told my physics teacher, AND I DON'T WANT TO LET HER DOWN!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.