Possibility to improve... materials...

First, welcome aboard!

Not to sound harsh, but further scientific research does not reduce the mass of the elements. Furthermore the mass of the fuel is a critical component in the calculation of a craft's capabilities; switching to a lighter fuel while keeping everything else the same would mean the craft would actually be less capable.

I think the things that will get lighter most easily with research ought to be the structural components, since those are always getting lighter every decade in real life with new research, production methods, extraction methods, and even ore discoveries. Making fuel tanks lighter without changing the fuel mass can alter dV pretty strongly by decreasing the dry mass fraction.

I think the things that will get lighter most easily with research ought to be the structural components, since those are always getting lighter every decade in real life with new research, production methods, extraction methods, and even ore discoveries. Making fuel tanks lighter without changing the fuel mass can alter dV pretty strongly by decreasing the dry mass fraction.

You're right, making anything but fuel lighter would be beneficial. Better mass ratio tanks, lighter payloads with the same capabilities, that could be a real improvement.

Why would fuel getting lighter* be an issue? In-game, I mean. If the thrust, ISP, and part weight stayed the same, but fuel was half as massive, wouldn't that increase dV?

*I know in real lifethe thrust is made by shooting the stuff out the back, and mass is important in that, but I'm talking just in the game.

Why would fuel getting lighter* be an issue? In-game, I mean. If the thrust, ISP, and part weight stayed the same, but fuel was half as massive, wouldn't that increase dV?

*I know in real lifethe thrust is made by shooting the stuff out the back, and mass is important in that, but I'm talking just in the game.

I suppose it could be programmed to yield the same dV or more with lighter fuel. Such a change would break the game's observance of the rocket equation, which is one of the core challenges of space travel. The game would stop being about space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.