The Legend of Korra Season 3,4 Finales - Mercury Poisoning Edition! Also, KORRASAMI!

andrew123

The Legend of Korra is the sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Not the movie, the TV series. Screw M. Night Shaymalan.)

- SPOILERS ALERT - (Of course, you'll probably ignore it.)

zPF2mg2.jpg

Erm... I just watched the LOK season 3 finale... that was pretty extreme, considering they marked it as a "children's show". I mean, the main character gets mercury poisoning and gets confined to a wheelchair.... and this is the sequel to the last airbender. 0_o

The next season's going to be pretty dark... they included anarchist terrorists hell-bent on assassinations, world leaders getting assassinated, political and social issues, and even technological development from airships to radios and even moving pictures (Rockets are coming into play, I presume)... Pretty interesting "children's show".

Considering my experience of a minor run-in with mercury poisoning as a toddler, that was pretty interesting. (And I hated seafood after that... not worth getting seizures for some sushi)

So, who thinks that Korra's going to be confined to a wheelchair? It'll be an interesting season 4! (Although I feel quite sorry for her. Being confined to a wheelchair sucks, according to my personal experience, at least.)

Also, the Red Lotus resembles ISIS / IRA.

Please share your thoughts. :)

Oh yeah, and I fully expect to see this in season 4:

L6yABwh.jpg

Varrick/Asami/Cabbage Corps, make it happen!

Off-Topic: Mike and Bryan were reading Korrasami fanfics... not saying I wrote one... 0_o

Edited by andrew123

Jesus...

I guess Nickolodeon decided to change it to Game of elements- steampunk edition.

Here's some fun facts about mercury poisoning! (The only metal to be liquid at room temperature, also known as quicksilver).

1. It causes permanent damage to your brain cells. Since a human develops all of their brain cells by age 2, unless Asami Sato comes up with stem cell treatment, the avatar isn't going to have all of her mental faculties. She can kiss emotional control and quick decision making goodbye.

2. It damages the ovaries and eggs (which you're born with) / the male analogue. Not good... and it seems set up for Korrasami.

3. Muscle damage and partial loss of motor control are both permanent symptoms of Mercury ingestion. Physical therapy it is...

4. It's possible to conduct a limited detox, but even if she has no mercury left in her system (doubtful, since mercury is both highly resilient and one of the most powerful mutagens ever discovered), the dead brain cells won't repair themselves.

I'm pretty sure Mike and Bryan took AP chemistry, or I at least hope they did. Hg ingestion is not a laughing matter.

PS: Half of US dentists still use mercury-based dental amalgams (fillings). Mercury-poisoning is common in dental patients.

Come to think of it, I have amalgams in my molars... 0_o

Many of us may have had / have mercury poisoning without realizing it.

EruDSuQ.jpg

You can think of mercury poison as a chronic, powerful version of a tetanus infection.

There's also a rumor that nickelodeon decided to pull it off the air and put it solely on an internet release schedule not only because of low viewership and low ratings (horrible time slot due to spongebob reruns), but also due to the excessively dark nature of the "children's" show.

Edited by andrew123

Mercury-poisoning is common in dental patients.

That is a lie.

Please don't use anime for spreading web-paranoia about fillings.

Fillings won't hurt you because the metal is sealed in alloy matrix. You get more mercury by eating fish.

If you need to put a new filling, new composites are a better choice, but removing old, functioning ones is a huge mistake. That would be compromising the sterile insides of the tooth (which mostly doesn't end well) and the drilling and scraping of the filling releases lots of mercury.

That is a lie.

Please don't use anime for spreading web-paranoia about fillings.

Fillings won't hurt you because the metal is sealed in alloy matrix. You get more mercury by eating fish.

If you need to put a new filling, new composites are a better choice, but removing old, functioning ones is a huge mistake. That would be compromising the sterile insides of the tooth (which mostly doesn't end well) and the drilling and scraping of the filling releases lots of mercury.

I should reword that: it occurs more than usual in dental patients. I've known several dental patients who've had mercury exposure through fillings (albeit minor).

Edited by andrew123

The Legend of Korra is the sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Not the movie, the TV series. Screw M. Night Shaymalan.)

~Snip~

Erm... I just watched the LOK season 3 finale... that was pretty extreme, considering they marked it as a "children's show". I mean, the main character gets mercury poisoning and gets confined to a wheelchair.... and this is the sequel to the last airbender. 0_o

The next season's going to be pretty dark... they included anarchist terrorists hell-bent on assassinations, world leaders getting assassinated, political and social issues, and even technological development from airships to radios and even moving pictures (Rockets are coming into play, I presume)... Pretty interesting "children's show".

~Snip~

Wow. Sounds intense. Might just watch it. Sorry for Korra though, haven't ever watched Legend of Korra but Mercury Poisoning is an awful thing to happen to anybody.

Wow. Sounds intense. Might just watch it. Sorry for Korra though, haven't ever watched Legend of Korra but Mercury Poisoning is an awful thing to happen to anybody.

Season 1 and Season 2 aren't exactly the best, and season 2 was actually the worst. Season 3 is where this series picks up, and I can't wait to watch season 4! (Of course, you have to watch the first two seasons to understand Avatar Korra's character development. Season two actually picks up starting from the halfway point of the season, so it's actually not that bad.)

PS: This isn't anime. It wasn't animated in Japan, but written in the United States then animated by Studio Mir in South Korea. The first half of season 2 was animated in Japan, but the creators were appalled at the workmanship and switched back to Studio Mir at the halfway point of season 2.

I should reword that: it occurs more than usual in dental patients. I've known several dental patients who've had mercury exposure through fillings (albeit minor).

I doubt you can prove that. Basically everyone in the 20th century had such filling. What are your sources to back up such claims?

Exposure exists, but death? No evidence.

I doubt you can prove that. Basically everyone in the 20th century had such filling. What are your sources to back up such claims?

Exposure exists, but death? No evidence.

I never claimed death, only exposure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9391753

It shows that subsequent (improper) maintenance of the amalgam or even excessive wear (happens to everything) can cause mercury exposure.

Here's a link to the paper:

http://cro.sagepub.com/content/8/4/410.long

The study states that most of the initial exposure is from the mercury vapors during and immediately after the filling operation. It also explores the long term consequences of amalgams and its associated risk of mercury exposure.

Oh yeah, and I fully expect to see this in season 4:

http://i.imgur.com/L6yABwh.jpg

Varrick/Asami/Cabbage Corps, make it happen!

TLoK is based on the 1920s, and the V-2 didn't exist until the 1940s. Then again, there were no mecha-tanks in the 1920s.

Of course, you have to watch the first two seasons to understand Avatar Korra's character development.

But you won't get some things if you've never watched the original series, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Edited by Pipcard

TLoK is based on the 1920s, and the V-2 didn't exist until the 1940s. Then again, there were no mecha-tanks in the 1920s.

But you won't get some things if you've never watched the original series, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Don't forget Varrick's maglev train and electro based weapons. We still have't perfected them with our modern technology.

And who knows. We could have a long time skip by the start of season 4.

Also, I concur that he has to watch the last airbender. The rift and the search are also comics he should read to tie into korra's time.

Also, as the reincarnation of Avatar Roku, Korra is technically one of Zuko's ancestors.

Edited by andrew123

Also, a few days ago, I found this commissioned artwork by AdamKop. It's called the "Agni V Space Shuttle", and I thought you might like it.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/223/a/8/agni_v_space_shuttle_by_adamkop-d7unvj8.jpg

Chinese text (the World of Avatar writes in Chinese) and a familiar emblem.

:) I love it! (Even though my parents can read traditional Chinese dialect, as I'm Korean American, I can't.) Looks like Sato Industries was busy... (Mind linking the website were you got that image? I want to see some more.)

Also, I couldn't resist:

4CcBJrC.png

Varrick just needs to sustain a shrapnel injury, then we can see him become Iron man. ( Platinum man? He'll be immune to metal benders. :) )

EDIT: Never mind, you hyper linked it. :) Thank you. :)

Also, random complimentary GIF.

OMdLvHm.gif

Edited by andrew123

I never claimed death, only exposure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9391753

It shows that subsequent (improper) maintenance of the amalgam or even excessive wear (happens to everything) can cause mercury exposure.

Here's a link to the paper:

http://cro.sagepub.com/content/8/4/410.long

The study states that most of the initial exposure is from the mercury vapors during and immediately after the filling operation. It also explores the long term consequences of amalgams and its associated risk of mercury exposure.

I must apologize, I've read it wrong.

Exposure? Of course there'll be exposure. Every piece of fish you eat, every breath you take, there'll always be exposure to Hg.

The greatest exposure by fillings is, correctly, during and after the procedure, while the filling cures. The drop in exposure is exponential and after few days negligible, even with subsequent years of gradual, albeit very weak, wear of the material.

Wear is very weak if the doctor has shaped it correctly.

New composites are a better choice, but it's not like amalgams were dreadful. Coal power plants and sea food were, and still are, the most plentiful sources of this element.

Well it is a TV show so the creators, Bryke, could say she was poisoned with unobtainium if they want to. Sure mercury is a good fit, but in a world where platinum is cheap enough to build gigantic robots out of, walls, chains and not weigh an extreme amount (platinum has a density greater then lead, in fact it is the third most dense element in existence, with Uranium and Tungsten bowing down to it!) then anything is possible. Heck it could have been liquid gallium, sure it is not toxic, but if you had several kilograms of the stuff telekinetically squeezed into your blood stream you would be very dead, very fast.

Edited by RuBisCO

My god... that video was terrifying. 2 pounds of mercury... 0_o.

Well it is a TV show so the creators, Bryke, could say she was poisoned with unobtainium if they want to. Sure mercury is a good fit, but in a world where platinum is cheap enough to build gigantic robots out of, walls, chains and not weigh an extreme amount (platinum has a density greater then lead, in fact it is the third most dense element in existence, with Uranium and Tungsten bowing down to it!) then anything is possible. Heck it could have been liquid gallium, sure it is not toxic, but if you had several kilograms of the stuff telekinetically squeezed into your blood stream you would be very dead, very fast.

True... I always wondered how they ever managed to mass produce platinum... maybe metal benders can bend impurities out of ore? Also, Korra's story is pretty sad. Considering that most things in real life don't have a happy ending, the creators must be shooting for realism. I miss the old happy days of Avatar Aang. :(

Anyways, random picture to cheer us up!

Korrasami... I wonder how Korra prevented muscle entropy? (I'm catholic, but I'm indifferent to this ship.) Also, she didn't say a word in the last part of the finale, just like the doctor in the video after his mercury exposure. Mercury, or whatever it is, took quite a toll on her. If that was me, I'd probably have died... (Realistically, you can't survive a huge dosage of heavy metal being pulled into your bloodstream without an act of god, or the avatar state. Even Korra needed Suyin to pull out the mercury from her body using her metal bending before it inflicted too much damage.)

lppRuk1.jpg

But, as Makorra will probably win in the end.

1e7mSe6.jpg

PS: If you injected a non fatal dosage of gallium/liquid metal into someone's blood stream, couldn't a metal bender copy Magneto's iron blood injection trick?

5yiSiAU.jpg Edited by andrew123

I have no problem with Korrasami and all but I really don't think Nick will allow it, not even online, that and why can't two people just be really good friends without others thinking they are going to end up bumping hips?

That guys looks and sounds pretty good for having consumed mercury at 2 years of age. There are a lot of mercury compounds though that are crazy deadly, this one is basically chemistry student's buggyman: encourage safer practices.

Edited by RuBisCO

I have no problem with Korrasami and all but I really don't think Nick will allow it, not even online, that and why can't two people just be really good friends without others thinking they are going to end up bumping hips?

That guys looks and sounds pretty good for having consumed mercury at 2 years of age. There are a lot of mercury compounds though that are crazy deadly, this one is basically chemistry student buggy man to encourage safer practices.

I've got no problem with Korrasami either, but the insane (fun?) fan base of the Avatar series continues to demand a romantic entanglement.

Also, that compound is terrifying. They use it for calibrating toxin detectors?! 0_o

Just check out the Reddit Korra subforum... they're insane.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/

Heck, it doesn't help that Azula's voice actor parodied 50 shades of grey. The creative team actually enjoys it... .

https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/status/251544083502358528

Edited by andrew123

I've got no problem with Korrasami either, but the insane (fun?) fan base of the Avatar series continues to demand a romantic entanglement.

The fans often want things that if they got they would throw up. Remember Moppa? Momo and Appa? I'm sure it is already rule 34 like crazy.

Also, that compound is terrifying. They use it for calibrating toxin detectors?! 0_o

Not anymore, after it killed Dr. Wetterhahn no one want to be near the stuff, I don't blame them.

The fans often want things that if they got they would throw up. Remember Moppa? Momo and Appa? I'm sure it is already rule 34 like crazy.

Not anymore, after it killed Dr. Wetterhahn no one want to be near the stuff, I don't blame them.

I remember moppa... and the associated fanart... 'shudders'. Rule 34 is a blight...

Wasn't there another ship involving some characters from the Ember Islands episodes? I explicitly remember it being unnaturally revolting.

I remember moppa... and the associated fanart... 'shudders'. Rule 34 is a blight...

Wasn't there another ship involving some characters from the Ember Islands episodes? I explicitly remember it being unnaturally revolting.

Memories blocked on that.

Anyways I don't think Korra's going to be permanently handicapped, I just don't see that as probable, it not easy to make a wheel chair bound superhero, at least not one without an exoskeleton, but who knows.

I want to see the
with

I might be able to whip up an edited trailer.

Also, I rather hope we achieve super luminal travel without an extinction level threat. I'd rather NASA get a working theory and implement it before I die (Or become a "ghost in a shell"). :P

EDIT: I just got an idea for an AMV! Well, a music video, since it'll use interstellar's scenes, with the possibility of some Korra scenes.

Edited by andrew123

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.