My First Space Station

Wulfonce

I'm quite new to KSP. I have a basic understanding of the dynamics of the game but that's probably not saying much. I've run 3 missions to the Mun so far and one to Minmus, all with returns to Kerbin.

I would like to build a small space station over Kerbin and send it off to orbit the Mun. This will act as an orbital science station, that's the theory anyway. The problem is I really don't know how to go about it. I've got a few pieces stuck together so far but I'm questioning if it'll even work in the end. Perhaps you guys could look it over before I waste my time on a failed project.

The middle of the station is a Mobile Processing Lab. There's a power generating module on the bottom, and up top we have an engine with a fuel tank. The back side of the Processing Lab has another docking port which I'll attach a small Munar probe, this will be used to travel between the station and the Munar surface. There's 4 additional docking ports on the engine that I'll have to attach some sort of communication equipment to later on.

How does the Processing Lab work? Would I send the probe down to collect samples, then back up to the Processing Lab, which then processes the data and sends it back to Kerbin via Radio? I probably should have figured this out before I started building.

So am I on the right track, or leading to an inevitable failure? This is my first attempt at a station, I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I was expecting to see an option to transfer fuel from my 2 tanks on the solar panel section, to the tank with the engine. How would I go about doing that? The tank with the engine is nearly out of fuel, the other 2 are full.

screenshot14_zps718c70bb.png

Edited by Wulfonce

right click on the transfer target (the one that will be receiving the fuel), then press Alt while right clicking the transfer volunteer tank ( where the fuel is coming from). next, click the 'in' buttons on the target's menu, and the flow until you press stop or the tank is full.

:)

right click on the transfer target (the one that will be receiving the fuel), then press Alt while right clicking the transfer volunteer tank ( where the fuel is coming from). next, click the 'in' buttons on the target's menu, and the flow until you press stop or the tank is full.

:)

Ah! thanks!

Well, a lot of questions. By order:

- The Lab works in two ways: refitting of Goo and Science Jr modules and adding extra value to transmitted science. The first is done by right clicking the lab and choosing the clean experiments option ( that assumes that your probe with the modules above are docked it iit, OFC ). This expends electric power. The second ( adding value to transmitted science ) is made in the instrument itself ( while in a ship that has the lab ), appearing like a option in the review stored science and adds x% of science to your transmitted science.

- You can transfer fuel, monopropelant and even electric charge between parts of a ship ( even if contituted by docked parts ) by right clicking one of the parts you want to transfer fuel from/to ( it works either way ) and Alt+ right click on the other part. You will get in both parts a pair of blue buttons saying "in" and "out" in every tranferable item in those parts and then you just have to click in those buttons as you need until you are happy with the result.

BTW how are you going to put that on Mun orbit ? It seems highly unsymmetrical, thus it will be hard to push it there ... not mentioning that docking joints are very flexible.

Edited by r_rolo1

Well, a lot of questions. By order:

- The Lab works in two ways: refitting of Goo and Science Jr modules and adding extra value to transmitted science. The first is done by right clicking the lab and choosing the clean experiments option ( that assumes that your probe with the modules above are docked it iit, OFC ). This expends electric power. The second ( adding value to transmitted science ) is made in the instrument itself ( while in a ship that has the lab ), appearing like a option in the review stored science and adds x% of science to your transmitted science.

- You can transfer fuel, monopropelant and even electric charge between parts of a ship ( even if contituted by docked parts ) by right clicking one of the parts you want to transfer fuel from/to ( it works either way ) and Alt+ right click on the other part. You will get in both parts a pair of blue buttons saying "in" and "out" in every tranferable item in those parts and then you just have to click in those buttons as you need until you are happy with the result.

BTW how are you going to put that on Mun orbit ? It seems highly unsymmetrical, thus it will be hard to push it there ... not mentioning that docking joints are very flexible.

Thanks for the info.

How am I going to get it there? Don't the thruster blocks stabilize it during flight, or is it going to spin out of control?

Edit: having just tested the thrust, I grossly underestimated the amount of thrust needed to move the station. It's estimating 3 days of thrust! lol.

It appears to be stable but that could just be because there's almost no thrust. I'll have to replace the engine section and try again.

Edited by Wulfonce

Have you checked that your engine even moves the station? Because it looks like you've got the decoupler pointing the wrong way, so it's stuck to the engine and will block the thrust.

If you do need to rebuild I suggest making it symmetric, that'll ensure it flies straight. If you turn SAS on then the game will use the controls to try and keep on course but it can only do so much.

Edited by cantab

They will stabize things up to a point ;) The issue with non symetrical ships is exactly that: if your Center of mass is not perfectly alligned with the center and direction of thrust the SAS and even the RCS will only work up to a point and after that the ship will start spinning. If you have doubts about that issue , just make a duplicate of how the space station +the engine that will push it there in the VAB and check the center of mass and center of thrust buttons: if they are too much mismatched you will get torque in the ship...

Maybe, this video will give you some ideas. I found it very inspiring back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4EZ_gxnfWo

I usually assemble a "transfer version" in orbit, then move it to the target with a tug or a pusher and then reorganize the parts into the final configuration. I also plan my stations completely in the VAB, even launch it with lots of launch clamps and do some dry tests on the launch pad. Here is one of my latest stations, that will be transferred to Duna, when the next launch window arrives:

The station in its original configuration:

VmcGDPT.png

Station prepped for transport:

3I25Ohp.png

And my latest station on the launch pad for some testing. I find this really helpful to check if everything is nicely in place:

WGj76JW.png

I hope this will help you in some way.

Good luck on your endeavors. Godspeed!

First, let me say that, for a first station, that is an excellent effort!

As for asymmetry, you can counter it to a degree by reducing your thrust. You can do this by simply not cranking the throttle so much, or if you want finer control, you can right click on the engines and adjust the thrust limiter. If you thrust is low enough, your SAS should be able to counter the asymmetry (though of course there are limits)

Personally I find it much easier to build stations I want to move along a single axis. For example:

l9PqeDK.png

(This is obviously heavily modded, but the point still applies.)

Similar to Frank_G, I have a version of the station designed to be moved. If I want to move the sections around on the docking hub once I reach a destination, I totally can, but while I am moving the station, I want all of the mass to be balanced along a central axis. This makes the ship far easier to transport.

Also, if you want to see how the finished station will work out, you can build the station in the VAB first. Then, when you are happy with the design, divide the various sections into subassemblies for individual launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.