How to change corepart of craft in game

Hey. I just send my 4 part probe to Eve/Gilly. The plan was to leave a Scansat sat in orbit around both and have a lander for both. So lots of decoples was set ud. After decopling the lander for Eve from rest of craft the engine was selected as core part. The plan for probe was to let engine and fueltank burn up during entry to safe a decopler (playing with DR). Tried to change core part with the control from here of probes. But didnt work. So i lost the lander when engine broke. Now i have to wait for next transfer window and spend money on new rocket (playing no save mode). Is there anyway i could avoid what happened?

You can switch between ships in immediate vicinity by pressing [ and ] keys (referring to english keyboard layout). So if you want to control different part of the ship than the one that stayed in focus after decoupling, keep press either of these keys until you get focus on the part you want.

I made a test and I built a ship with SRB as its root part, a pod, and a few sepatrons aimed at the SRB to overheat it. I launched to the atmosphere, then activated sepatrons. The SRB overheated and exploded and the game immediately switched focus to the command pod. Nothing has disappeared.

So I wonder what exactly happened in your case as I probably don't understand it sufficiently. Have you tried to press F3 and take a look at the flight log?

What Kasuha is trying to say is that after you decouple the parts you don't want, switch back to the craft you DO want by using ] or [. If you are entering the atmosphere and are too far away (more than about 2.5 km), then KSP will delete those ships.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.