[CLOSED] "Northern Lights": Northstar1989's RSS 6.4x Career Mode Game

Northstar1989

New Mods!

Normally I wouldn't feel the need to announce something like this in a post entirely of its own, but the new mods are quite large/significant. They are:

Procedural Parts (so I can eventually design ENORMOUS rockets closer to say, the 10 meter diameter of a real life Saturn V)

Procedural Fairings (I'm going to need them if any of my payloads start exceeding 3.75 meters- the largest KW Rocketry Fairings)

Atmospheric Trajectories mod - this is a new mod that was just released on the forums less than a week ago. It makes calculations based on body lift and drag to attempt to predict re-entry trajectories with FAR installed. It's also going to take me some time to get used to- as the default assumes facing perfectly prograde (thus no lift or body lift), but there are settings to account for lifting re-entries as well...

Kerbal Alarm Clock (an oldie but goodie)

I'm also planning on eventually installing Firespitter and Procedural Dynamics mods, but am saving those until I decide to attempt the Flying Duna Again challenge in this Career save... (Real Solar System should make that !FUN!) I might not get to that point before I decide to update to 0.25 (after it's released) anyways... And, if my Career Mode game progresses far enough to set up a base on the Mun or Duna, Karbonite mod is a must (KSP-Interstellar and more realistic ISRU will have to wait until I next start over, as it's designed/balanced for a different tech tree than the stock one...)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

My next couple launches didn't actually make use of the new mods, but don't worry, that'll come eventually...

First, I performed a Launch Escape System test near the KSC (the alternate launchpads are currently disabled- I need to update RSS, this is a known bug with the version I am running)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Then, a little more !SCIENCE! on the Runway:

Followed by some !SCIENCE! on the Launchpad:

And finally, I performed a plane test in order to try and fulfill a jet engine contract at supersonic speeds and low altitude:

However, as can be seen, the plane I used was incapable of breaking the sound barrier at that altitude (I may still try going higher up to break it and then diving down into that altitude range...)

I then landed the plane on the Island Runway and parked it in one of the hangers before calling it a night (it was 4 AM here)

Regards,

Northstar

The plane I mentioned earlier is now landed safely back at the KSC, and I'll be posting some screenshots of that portion of the mission, as well as some additional contracts in the area immediately around the KSC, SOON . But before I do, I wanted to give a special shout-out to a great mod I came across, and have decided to download. I will probably be installing it on this Career Mode thread before long, but I don't have the time to install (and backup my save before testing it) it right now due to RL commitments.

Anyways, the mod is Flight Manager for Resuable Stages. It's a great mod that provides yet another feature I've been long waiting for- the ability to pilot dropped stages back to the ground and integrate them into your main save (what it technically does is create a parallel save for each dropped stage, and merges them with the main save upon the vessel landing or being recovered). Used properly, it can allow proper/realistic Space-X style launches in Career Mode, and other profitable use of other interesting mission plans such as using planes as "motherships" to pull rockets above the thickest part of the atmosphere before rocket ignition...

Here's the link. I suggest checking this awesome mod out:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80292-0-24-2-Flight-Manager-for-Reusable-Stages-%28FMRS-v0-2-00%29

Regards,

Northstar

FMRS is now installed, and I will be testing it shortly.

I just thought I'd share the promised screenshots until then...

Also, since the plane was unable to break the sound barrier, I launched a tiny SRB-assisted jet-powered rocket that could:

And performed some more launchpad science:

My Kerbals are patiently biding their time, performing small jobs here and there to continue the advancement of technology; but that's only because I haven't had the time/energy to take on a large mission in earnest thanks to real life. I hope to perform just such a large, daring mission soon- especially now that I have the ability to perform realistic Space-X style reusable launches... (with technology somewhere between Apollo and the current era)

Regards,

Northstar

Hi Northstar,

Base on your post images, I find that you have "wheels" unlock now.

Just a pcs of advice, always launch at 'runway', after 'experiment', land-and-drive to recover 'on-the-runway'. That gives you 100% recover value.

Hi Northstar,

Base on your post images, I find that you have "wheels" unlock now.

Just a pcs of advice, always launch at 'runway', after 'experiment', land-and-drive to recover 'on-the-runway'. That gives you 100% recover value.

Ummm, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying... I've got access to rover wheels if that's what you mean- but it's much more efficient (in terms of my time) to simply FLY to the runway instead of driving my planes back to it after field landings...

Anyways, for the rest of you, I've got some more contracts/!SCIENCE! to report. Don't worry- I won't be doing this for too much longer. I actually put the finishing touches on my first Mun Mission today, and successfully "simulated" (tested and reverted, no screenshots) the first couple stages. It's highly-staged, makes extensive use of FMRS, and should be highly-reusable. All in all, !FUN!, but I didn't have time/energy to actually carry it out tonight: and I'd like to play (and record) it all in one shot if I can.

The SRB launch is actually called "SRB recovery test" because, aside from fulfilling a parachute contract, it also tests the recovery of the same types of SRB's that will be used in the Mun Mission under loosely similar conditions... Testing revealed a high frequency of losing the parachute when the SRB tipped over after landing (causing me to debate whether to add landing legs to the SRB's), but other than that there were no significant problems, and my Mun Mission is good to go...

Yes, the mission does use an SLS-sized launch platform: this was not only simpler than launching several smaller rockets; it also allowed me to test an SLS-sized rocket engine for a contract at the same time. SLS parts are 3.75 meters in size, whereas 5 meter parts would be a closer and still slightly-smaller match to the relative size of Saturn V- if that gives you any idea of how efficiently I managed to design this mission compared to an Apollo landing... Though, this *is* only a 1-man mission, compared to Apollo's three-man crews; and my tech is a bit more advanced...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Ummm, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying... I've got access to rover wheels if that's what you mean- but it's much more efficient (in terms of my time) to simply FLY to the runway instead of driving my planes back to it after field landings...

@Northstar : Basically, Yes.

If you get a contract of having to test a "Heavy Engines" at certain altitude, and you are 'not-flying-with-wings', you can consider putting some wheels to land your rocket 'near' the KSC with parachute, and drive to runway for 100% recovery rate.

Please do print-screen on day times. :)

If you get a contract of having to test a "Heavy Engines" at certain altitude, and you are 'not-flying-with-wings', you can consider putting some wheels to land your rocket 'near' the KSC with parachute, and drive to runway for 100% recovery rate.

Interesting, but probably not worth my time. I could easily complete several additional contracts in that time frame. Besides, most of my rockets are so heavy they would basically pop any rover wheels...

Please do print-screen on day times. :)

Huh? Must be a language barrier thing- I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say...

In the meantime, for the rest of you, I've been trying to work out some of the kinks in my Mun Mission. It turns out I wasn't going to, spoiler, have much success with a Space-X style launch with a hypergolic upper stage. The high fuel density meant it could pack lots of Delta-V in the tank volume (more than with Kero/LOX or LHX/LOX), but the high mass and low ISP meant I spent even more Delta-V fighting gravity while trying to circularize. So I made the switch to Kerosene/LOX for the higher ISP- even if it has lower fuel density...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

I present the next major mission in my space program- a mission to the Mun! With video recording!

Through use of Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (a new mod which I linked to on the previous page), I was able to recover the SRB's for the rocket:

As well as the lower stage- well, sort of. It fell over after (a successful) landing and erupted into a giant fireball that destroyed most of the parts... (no screenshots of this, unfortunately)

And the upper stage was recovered as well. No fireball this time:

I rather liked this reusable launch vehicle (which I invested a HUGE amount of time/effort into designing), and would have liked to make use of it again- but with the loss of the lower stage after landing, it clearly has some lingering bugs. And I can't re-build the lower stage anyways, as the engine was only available special through a contract. Oh, and it's lifting capacity wasn't high enough even to get a Mun mission to orbit without it having to blow all its return fuel on circularizing and the Munar transfer:

So maybe it really WASN'T such a perfect launch vehicle. I'll have to design something better (preferably with a higher lifting capacity) in the future... It did get my Mun Mission to Munar orbit though:

At which point I collected some !SCIENCE!

And then I made a tough decision I may come to regret- instead of returning Bob Kerman to Kerbin and leaving an empty and unusable lander in Munar orbit (there is now way to refuel it short of the Claw until the descent stage has been detached) I decided to have him make a 1-way landing on the Munar surface:

This mission was a failure, in that I did not return the Kerbal (or much of the Science) to Kerbin. But I did learn a lot from it, such as:

(1) ALWAYS pack more fuel than you think you'll need in Real Solar System 6.4x (ESPECIALLY with reusable launch vehicles)- a perfect 7.5 km/s ascent is nearly impossible in practice. The larger parts in KSP are also at less than 50% scale (SLS is 8.4 meters in real life, but 3.75 in KSP), even though the system is over 50% scale (6.4/11 scale, to be precise)

(2) The Mun is (realistically) FLAT in Real Solar System (thanks to the texture scale-up). Flat enough that you can actually safely drive a rover on it...

(3) Pack extra life-support. It will open up new options for you (e.g. I had just enough fuel for a round trip to/from Minmus- if only I had enough life-support for the 12-14 day mission... I only packed 3 days of life support.)

Hopefully, my next missions will be more successful- and the white suits will last longer than the orange suits did.

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Huh? Must be a language barrier thing- I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say...

@Northstart: oh...I means do your presentation on (in game) 'day-light-time'. Fast forward your game time to morning if you are not having a windows time for something.

Edited by Sirine

@Northstart: oh...I means do your presentation on (in game) 'day-light-time'. Fast forward your game time to morning if you are not having a windows time for something.

Ahhh, I see. I'll be trying to make more of my launches in game daytime anyways, so I can harvest solar power to help keep my batteries charged during the ascent. At the moment, though, I've got a bit of a ticking time-bomb on my hands until Bill asphyxiates on the Mun. I'm trying to complete as many contracts as possible before then, because I'm set to take a big hit to reputation when he dies...

Anyways, for the rest of you, another big change to announce! I just installed Karbonite mod into my save! (KSP-Interstellar will probably be coming eventually too, but I'm waiting for some of the bugs in 0.24.2 to get ironed out first...) I also performed some launchpad science, and additional transmissions from the Mun:

And then I proceeded on to my next major launch- once again with video! This mission was to rescue Raybo Kerman from an approximately 720 km orbit for a contract (watch the video on YouTube- right now it's refusing to embed correctly in this thread)

The launch went very well at the start- I was able to launch *directly* into a rendezvous with Raybo Kerman...

However when it came time to recover the rescued Kerbal, things started going wrong. First of all, I expended too much fuel in the upper stage, and didn't have enough left to safely re-enter it (I needed the fuel to slow/shallow the re-entry). Second, once I landed the crew capsule, I immediately recovered it- forgetting that I needed to switch back to the lower stage of the launch first through FMRS and pilot it to the ground, or that opportunity would be forever lost...

Nevertheless, despite all the setbacks, I managed to safely recover Raybo Kerman AND make a net profit off the mission... Those of you watching the video also got a sneak-peak of my next launches...

Coming up, I will be launching a Mun Lander, methane-propelled nuclear tug (methane is one of the three propellent options for LV-N engines in RealFuels- and denser+less prone to boil-off than liquid hydrogen), and possibly one or more Methane Fuel Depots and Methane Fuel Tankers... I also have an Ion Probe standing by for its chance to launch- although that is a low priority as there aren't any imminent planetary transfer windows...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Another mod to add to the list:

DMagic Orbital Science

I'm looking forward to performing science a little more interesting and varied than just the handful of stock science experiments.

Now if only SQUAD would get a clue and work on expanding the number/quality/variety of science experiments available...

Regards,

Northstar

P.S. I installed this mod AFTER the next launch I'll be posting about- but it takes a lot less time to write up about than a long, complex launch...

Edited by Northstar1989

Yesterday I launched the first component of my Orbital Tug System with a Methane Fuel Depot.

As has become the norm, I took video footage of the launch as well as screenshots. I apologize that the resolution is poor (it will be better in future launches) but the audio quality is leaps and bounds better than before:

The launch was Space-X style, with the addition of some Shuttle-style reusable SRB's. Using Flight Manager for Reusable Stages, I started with the recovery of the Lower Stage. I also broke the video recording in two at this point...

I then proceeded to recover the SRB's:

The Fuel Depot now waits in an elliptical orbit with a small partial fuel load, still attached to the Upper Stage (which I have yet to recover). The next launch will be of the Reusable Nuclear Tug, which will dock to the Depot and carry it to a higher orbit. After that, I will be launching a Mun Lander, and as many Methane Fuel Tankers as necessary to fill up the Nuclear Tug for its Mun mission...

Regards,

Northstar

Today, after installing the DMagic Orbital Science mod, I performed some basic rover tests around the KSC:

Nothing too exciting, although some of the animations were pretty cool, and the science texts quite snarky. I spent most of my play time today simply uploading/formatting images and video from yesterday, and checking mods and threads on this forum for updates (one reason I wish Squad would make more mod features stock- I *HATE* having to constantly update mods... Already, the latest version of ModuleManager broke Real Solar System so I can't use the alternative launch sites again...)

Also, I've been working on a slightly heavier version of my Medium Reusable Launch Platform for heavier payloads with their own engines- such as my Nuclear Tug...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

I present, my Reusable Space Infrastructure Nuclear Tug (RSINT). A methane-fueled spacecraft with a large fuel capacity, RSINT can hold over 12 km/s of LiquidMethane when fully-fueled: giving it a large range- and is meant to be paired with my Reusable Orbital Methane Infrastructure Tanker (ROMIT, which has not yet been revealed) or future surface-based Karbonite-mining infrastructure.

As usual, I have both video and screenshots of the launch:

The recovery of the Lower Stage went smoothly, but it turns out the Upper Stage was unrecoverable for this launch profile due to it consistently burning up in the atmosphere... I *KNEW* I should have packed more fuel into the payload (the tug launched mostly empty to save on mass) or decoupled the Upper Stage sooner...

Also, the latest redesign of the Medium Reusable Launch Platform solid rocket boosters led to their being almost impossible to recover in practical terms (the impulse of the retro-rockets was too high, and would cause the SRB's to jump back up into the air without parachutes...) I fixed this issue for future launches (by limiting the retro-rocket TWR through tweakables), but incurred a significant financial penalty for it in the meantime...

I know I promised video of the recovery of the SRB's and Upper Stage in the video, but I decided not to do that as I made many, many quicksave/quickload attempts to try and safely bring the Upper Stage and SRB's to the ground intact, only to eventually discover it was impossible... So the video ends with making orbit, and you guys will just have to make do with the screenshots of the attempted US/SRB recoveries...

It might be a while until I upload more screenshots, but I hope your enjoy what I posted got for the moment.

Regards,

Northstar

0.25 is available now. So?? will you be continue your quest as 0.24.2, or upgrade to 0.25?

I'll be sticking with 0.24.2 for the meantime. I would have to restart my save in order to upgrade to 0.25 with changes they instituted in how parts scale that break many of my mods...

Speaking of progress, I've been working on getting KSP-Interstellar and RealFuels working together. I now appear to have reached a working state for the two, so I now announce the next mod on my list for this career:

KSP Interstellar :)

Also, DMagic Orbital Science gave me a cool contract to complete around Ike:

GQMSwT7.jpg

Regards,

Northstar

Sorry to reverse so quickly, but I changed my mind after a little more thought.

Basically, it comes down to this: I'd like to take advantage of some of the Difficulty Level settings, and to do that requires a new game.

So, I will be closing this thread, and starting over AGAIN. Next time, though, I'll have a pipeline set up to convert PNG images to JPG right from the beginning, as well as better audio quality for my videos (which I'm also going to save for my more important launches- no need to film launchpad science, for instance...)

I enjoyed the learning experience of this thread, and regret to be closing it; but look forward to seeing 0.25

Regards,

Northstar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.