(Outdated) [0.25] The Mac OS X Thread

Since you aren't trying anything more that we've suggested, it sounds like you no longer want support. OK.

Make an official issue report on the SQUAD bugtracker and possibly with Apple, too. It will help to have data supporting your report like frames per second on both Mavericks and Yosemite. You should also demonstrate that you're testing KSP on both OS versions with otherwise identical settings.

Since you aren't trying anything more that we've suggested, it sounds like you no longer want support. OK.

Thats not my point! My issue is that I should be able to play the game in the matter that I am acustom. I should not have to tweak the hell out of the game just get to it work stock. Can someone explain to me a reason why updating to Yosemite can change my gameplay so dramatically. Is there a new setting in Yosemite that wasn't in Mavericks that could be affecting this? I have not tried your suggestions yet, I plan to. My issue is that I shouldn't have to limit my gameplay experience simply because I updated my OS. I will of course take the suggestions. I am not an idiot! Even if the suggestions work I want to know what has changed and what is causing me to have to change the game.

Full Screen Beach Ball of Death. Have run a couple missions.

My FAN program tells me 187F

My KSP is locked up but I can cmd tab out and do other things.. I'm listening to a web simulcast and such. But KSP is toast.. I'll force kill it.

Nothing really telling in the logs.. Is there another place to look?

Tail of the KSP Log:

[LOG 19:10:36.635] setting new dominant body: Kerbin

FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin

[LOG 19:10:36.636] Reference Frame: Rotating

[LOG 19:10:36.641] stage manager resuming...

[LOG 19:10:36.641] Vessel assembly complete!

[LOG 19:10:36.641] stage manager starting...

[LOG 19:10:36.641] all systems started

[LOG 19:10:36.676] [somewhere else.]: landed - waiting for ground contact to resume physics...

[LOG 19:10:36.724] [scenarioDestructibles]: Started. 39 objects registered

[LOG 19:10:41.508] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 19:10:43.496] Flight State Captured

[LOG 19:10:43.501] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:10:43.502] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 19:10:43.535] Game State Saved as persistent

[LOG 19:10:55.209] [untitled Space Craft]: ground contact! - error: 0.018m

[LOG 19:10:55.209] Unpacking Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 19:11:01.551] drag started

Tail of the Player.log:

Unpacking Untitled Space Craft

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

drag started

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

activating stage 1 - current stage: 2

[solidBooster]: Activated

[00:00:00]: Liftoff!!

somewhere else. Unloaded

Can someone explain to me a reason why updating to Yosemite can change my gameplay so dramatically. Is there a new setting in Yosemite that wasn't in Mavericks that could be affecting this?

If you're game didn't change at all between Mavericks and Yosemite, then probably only developers for Apple, SQUAD, or Unity could answer that question.

@LtHaus:

Full Player.log, please (~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log). Also, make sure you quit KSP before loading the log.

Again, please follow the guidelines in the Stock Support & Bug Reporting Guide.

If you're game didn't change at all between Mavericks and Yosemite, then probably only developers for Apple, SQUAD, or Unity could answer that question.

@LtHaus:

Full Player.log, please (~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log). Also, make sure you quit KSP before loading the log.

Again, please follow the guidelines in the Stock Support & Bug Reporting Guide.

No it worked beautifully on Mavericks! Yosemite is clearly the problem here.

No it worked beautifully on Mavericks! Yosemite is clearly the problem here.

So you know what to do:

Make an official issue report on the SQUAD bugtracker and possibly with Apple, too. It will help to have data supporting your report like frames per second on both Mavericks and Yosemite. You should also demonstrate that you're testing KSP on both OS versions with otherwise identical settings.

Full Screen Beach Ball of Death. Have run a couple missions.

My FAN program tells me 187F

My KSP is locked up but I can cmd tab out and do other things.. I'm listening to a web simulcast and such. But KSP is toast.. I'll force kill it.

Nothing really telling in the logs.. Is there another place to look?

Check Console in the Utilities folder. Go to "All Messages". I always have entries there when KSP crashes (spinning beach ball).

• 2 weeks later...

So how are other people's experiences with KSP on Yosemite? I've been running on Snow Leopard for ages and a couple other programs are pushing me towards updating.

I've seen a few people complaining about Mavericks and Yosemite both with KSP, but I don't know if there are any common problems or if it's just a vocal minority.

Ideally I'd rather just get Mountain Lion, but that's $20, whereas Yosemite is currently free.

KSP is very crashy for me under Yosemite. I skipped the last few versions of KSP, and didn't play .25 under Mavericks, so I can't tell whether it's .25 or Yosemite, but nothing seems to help. Lots of beachballs and quit to desktop all at random times. Doesn't matter if mods or no mods are installed.

I actually took the dive and went with Yosemite. I've only tinkered with KSP a bit so far but, fingers crossed, it seems stable so far.

My problem is that now going between full screen and windowed mode makes my game display all funny. If I'm full screen in the editor and leave full screen mode, the parts list gets shifted towards the center of the screen. And if I'm not in full screen mode while in flight, then Cmd+F into full screen, the flight UI gets all vertically stretched.

I'll nose around to see if I can come up with a fix, but if anyone else already knows of one, I'd love to hear about it.

If I'm full screen in the editor and leave full screen mode, the parts list gets shifted towards the center of the screen. And if I'm not in full screen mode while in flight, then Cmd+F into full screen, the flight UI gets all vertically stretched.

That happens on Mavericks, too. The only in game solution is to change scenes, as in VAB > Flight or Flight > Space Center. Otherwise, you just need to leave it fullscreen and switch desktops (⌘↠and ⌘→, or via Mission Control).

That happens on Mavericks, too. The only in game solution is to change scenes, as in VAB > Flight or Flight > Space Center. Otherwise, you just need to leave it fullscreen and switch desktops (⌘↠and ⌘→, or via Mission Control).

Thanks. Also, because Yosemite introduces that pseudo-fullscreen mode for more applications, I'm having a hard time using my google-fu on another problem.

I noticed that when I ran KSP in full screen, cursor movements towards the bottom of the screen would bring my dock over KSP. Ditto for movements at the top of the screen making the header bar appear. Not necessarily game-breaking, but hella annoying, especially when trying to move things around in the bottom of the editors.

I've had a nose through my System Preferences panel and I haven't managed to find a way to disable that sensitivity yet. Any tips?

Yeah, the Dock has never been a problem for me, but that's because I've had it on the side of my desktop for 7-8 years.

Alright, I'll keep snooping around for that fix. And I've noticed for me that the Cmd+Left/Right Arrow doesn't want to work in the game itself (but it did during the loading screen). I'll just have to train myself to Cmd+Tab out of the full screen game instead of Cmd+F. Thanks for the help.

Any idea if OSX users have filed the full screen issues as an issue with Squad/if one more person doing so would help?

Ugh, I've tried moving the dock all around and activating the dock hiding feature and it's still popping up over my game window if I let my cursor stray too near the edges.

Edited by Boomerang

• 2 weeks later...
KSP is very crashy for me under Yosemite. I skipped the last few versions of KSP, and didn't play .25 under Mavericks, so I can't tell whether it's .25 or Yosemite, but nothing seems to help. Lots of beachballs and quit to desktop all at random times. Doesn't matter if mods or no mods are installed.

I also hadn't played for a while, a bunch of us started playing a stock install of 0.25 in Yosemite yesterday, and it's pretty much as you describe, lots of beachballs and quit to desktop. For instance I'd say at least 50% of the time we go from VAB to launch it crashes, more for some ships. I came here to see if it was just me.

Edit: last time it crashed (spinning beach ball in VAB) I see this repeated several times in console:

11/28/14 7:08:40.912 PM KSP[7094]: KSP(7094,0xa09141d4) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=1048576) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Edited by Markarian421
additional info

Hello,

I tried to change the key to switch to staging UI, i change the file using Textedit, i restarted KSP but it still doesn't work :x any advices?

I'm trying to complete a revue mission (a Kerbal is stuck on orbit).

I managed to get close to him (300m with my vessel) and then used EVA to get in contact with my Kerbal. The key i assigned was O and I. They both dont work.

Thanks in advance for you help

@Markarion421:

You're running out of memory. The How to Get Support sticky in the Support (modded installs) forum has good advice for that problem.

@Goub:

You scan still switch the UI mode with the three buttons near the bottom left. You do have to assign the function to one of these key codes.

For rescue missions, normally you get close (< 2.3 km) and switch to the Kerbal using the switch vessel keys: [ or ]. If you've changed the assignments for those, you'll have to find keys that work for you.

Thanks a lot for you help, everything works well now :)

I manage to take control of the lost Kerbal, but i screw up getting to my vessel and no he doesn't have any energy left to use the jetpack.... Anyway thanks again

@Markarion421:

You're running out of memory. The How to Get Support sticky in the Support (modded installs) forum has good advice for that problem.

Hmm. Will give that a try. It's frustrating that KSP 0.25 worked fine on 10.9.5 but doesn't on 10.10. I suspect there is more going on than just a memory problem, because I found an odd bug in reading model textures that have "-" in the name. Specifically, "greenhouse-emissive.tga" works fine as a texture on 10.9.5, but on 10.10 it shows up in the log as a file that doesn't exist. Change the name to "greenhouse_emissive.tga" and change the model to that file name, and it works fine.

EDIT: dropping the graphical settings has improved stability immensely. I was able to do so mode testing last night, which involved multiple database reloads and I had no problems.

Edited by seanth