Time Warp suddenly causes ships to disassemble.

Launched two vehicles yesterday. Both went out and docked with an asteroid in Munar orbit (command vehicle, and a science lab). Built a third one that was going to be a Munar-lander with the ability to also grab the asteroid. Using the same first and second stage to launch it as the first two vehicles. The vehicle comes apart on me when I get into orbit and then use time warp to advance to my first burns to get ready to go out to Mun. I am in an orbit about 85,000 m up. Most of the components, the second stage and all the parts attached to the lander capsule just fall straight down to Kerbin when I hit the time warp key. Did it three times with two different lander designs. Any idea what might cause this. Will a simple reboot fix it? Thanks in advance.

ETA: Wrong subsection, this thread probably should have been in the Gameplay Questions and Tutorials. Sorry, feel free to move it.

Edited by TerminalV

It's a wild guess but I think there still may be some issues related to the Claw hidden in the game. You use it, and it breaks something in the game's internal state. Things seem to work like normal and then suddenly the game starts doing really weird stuff or just crashes. In 0.23.5 the Claw used to cause really weird effects during time warp.

It's a wild guess but I think there still may be some issues related to the Claw hidden in the game. You use it, and it breaks something in the game's internal state. Things seem to work like normal and then suddenly the game starts doing really weird stuff or just crashes. In 0.23.5 the Claw used to cause really weird effects during time warp.

That weird because it worked just fine with my first two spacecraft of yesterday session. But when I mounted the claw on the Mk1 Lander Can things went wacky. Are any of these Claw issued document here or else where?

Yes, my namesake can cause some problems. It seems completely random and I don't think anyone has been able to narrow down a reason yet. I have done huge, comples missions with the claw and had no problems. But just the other day I had a ship in a new save that was working perfectly fine. Suddenly (after about an hour of total time on orbit) it just came apart.

One thing is for certain. If it happens, you must restart the game. Once it happens, it will likely continue to blow up other ship that you switch to.

Cheers,

-Claw

Yes, my namesake can cause some problems. It seems completely random and I don't think anyone has been able to narrow down a reason yet. I have done huge, comples missions with the claw and had no problems. But just the other day I had a ship in a new save that was working perfectly fine. Suddenly (after about an hour of total time on orbit) it just came apart.

One thing is for certain. If it happens, you must restart the game. Once it happens, it will likely continue to blow up other ship that you switch to.

Cheers,

-Claw

Thanks! So will that initial spacecraft always have the problem or will a restart fix it in most cases? I guess I got lucky that I did not change back to the space station I was building with three other Claw enable ships, whew.

Sometimes a restart will fix the "bugged" ship, and sometimes (maybe more like usually) not. But if you don't restart, it virtually always strikes the other craft you switch to.

Based on how it behaves and how save files are effected, I have a gut feeling that the bug is buried in the docking code somewhere. This has made it difficult for me to find a savefile fix that users can apply. Sorry, but often times the best bet is to delete the broken craft and launch another.

Cheers,

-Claw

Thanks for the info. I played last night, launched two new vehicles both with the Claw without any problems before the Claw bug got the third one. I will delete the vehicles that have had the bug on my next session and recreate those vehicle (with no doubt changes and improvements). Good luck finding the bug and thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.