Kerban (Delta) IV

Hi Guys, newbie to the forums, and to KSP, but rapidly finding myself hopelessly addicted to this wonderful little game. So here\'s my shot at stock-parts mashed into a Launch vehicle. I modeled it loosely after the Delta IV rockets. and it works wonderfully using the AR202 auto-ascent system.

It has (4) strap-on solid boosters, that fire in pairs, followed by (2) liquid fuel strap on boosters, and a Liquid fueled core that fire as the '1st' stage, followed by a single gimbaled Liquid fueld engine for the '2nd' stage, and then finally a smaller ascent / descent engine with a small tank on the lander / crew stage with 8 landing legs for redundancy / durability.

Enjoy!

Simple but effective.

A lander you say? somehow I dont think you can make it to the moon with that vessel... what is the highest orbit you have reached with it (+safe return)?

Also, I think you might be better of if you fire all 4 thrusters from the beginning, the first few km are the hardest to do, getting your rocket speeding fast will probably save you precious liquid fuel later.

edit:

Also, welcome to the forums, and KSP!

I\'ve taken it to LKO a bunch of times, and also given the auto-ascent gets you into orbit well I\'ve had enough fuel in the gimbaled stage to do a TMI Burn .. I made it to the Mun once, and got into orbit, but sadly all hope was crushed when I crashed the lander onto the surface.. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.