Gigantus - an Eve Two Man Lander trip

EdFred

Jeb has been to Eve's surface and returned many times - from sea level - in a 1 man lander can. But Jeb tired of making the trip alone. The solution suggested was 2 single man lander cans. Jeb did not like this answer, so he demanded an all stock parts, 2 Man Lander Can vehicle capable of ascending from sea level. So Werner built, and rebuilt, and tweaked, and started over numerous times, and finally, he provided Jeb with the Eve Gigantus.

In a single launch Jeb and Bill departed from Kerbin. There was no refueling and no docking. Everything needed to go to Eve is in this wonder of Kerbal Engineering. A 2 Man descent and ascent vehicle, a hitchhiker habitation for the trip to and from Eve. Science modules not included, but easily attached. MechJeb was used to perform the ascents and transfer burns, limit the vehicles to terminal velocity/max acceleration on ascents, and staging. All maneuver nodes were created manually, as were all of the burns needed to hit landing sites, tweak the aerobrake nodes, make inclination changes, and rendezvous after Eve ascent.

1.jpg

Eve Gigantus - Entire Trip

Edit: Narrative added to pictures.

Edited by EdFred

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow, I like your lander! It's a bit big although at least you'll never have to worry about it tipping over when it lands. Also the landing can is quite heavy, you could have taken 3 Kerbals if you had used the small pod things. Good job though!

Thanks, the point was to do a 2 man lander can. I had done a single lander can previously. But all my other interplanetary missions are 2 man lander cans - even Moho and Tylo - and so I figured, well, let's see if I can make it work.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.