Asteroid impact forming craters

It would be cool and not that hard to do, but I think there should be a limit on the size of the crater, a Donut planet would probably be really buggy

Deformable terrain on a planetary scale as "not that hard to do"? Possible, sure, but not easy. Adding an overlay texture so that you've got a visible crater but no change in the collision mesh of the terrain would be not that hard to do, but I don't know how many people would find that simplification acceptable.

Deformable terrain on a planetary scale as "not that hard to do"? Possible, sure, but not easy. Adding an overlay texture so that you've got a visible crater but no change in the collision mesh of the terrain would be not that hard to do, but I don't know how many people would find that simplification acceptable.

KSP is already capable of producing craters in a procedural way. So, in principle, I think this could be done.

I originally thought so as well, but someone (I can't find the reference) claimed that that wouldn't work well for after-loadtime modifications. I could be remembering wrong, or that person could have been wrong to begin with. So really, that's only a "possibly not easy."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.