Updating KSP on OSX

On a Mac, to update to a current version of KSP, I download a new full copy of the latest version. That just seems like the easiest way to do it.

I just spent an hour talking down a fellow KSP'er off the ledge because he couldn't get his version to update. He was following the official instructions and kept trying the Launcher (aka Update Tool). He eventually called me and I tried it as well. There is nothing listed as "Update Tool", which was confusing since the directions refer to it by name. The Update button on the Launcher just opens a terminal window but nothing happens. Hence our frustration.

So is the Launcher broken on the OSX version? Can the Readme file be changed on the next version be changed to explain that in order to update KSP, the user needs to download a full, new copy? Or is there some secret to using the Launcher that I'm not aware of?

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry if this a repost: I hit submit and something seemed to go wrong.

First copy your old KSP folder and save it some place safe.

What I did to update 1.1.3 to 1.2.2 on Mac. First I did everything wrong. I don't have the game in Applications, I have it in my Download folder.

When I copied the contents of the DMG file over, I did it over the KSP file in Downloads. It asked I wanted to overwrite or merge the folders. I said "merge." Then I decide to remove all my old mods and launched the game. Any ship that required a mod, i.e. KER, those ships weren't loaded. Ha! I lost all my ships in flight!

To fix it I reinstalled the mods with the newer versions and then went back to my old KSP folder and copied the persistent files from the different scenario folders into my new KSP scenario folders (first saving my new persistent files with a different name just in case.) All my ships reappeared! Whew!

I hope that this might help someone in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.