Kerbol Brightness Distance Scaler

Sargent890

I'm looking at working with Planet Factory to create some rogue planets in my solar system, but I don't want them to receive any light from Kerbol due to their distance. Is there any existing mod that exists that scales light reception of a planet to distance from their star? This would also be useful with a stock solar system, as Eeloo would be significantly darker than a planet closer to Kerbol.

The closest I've ever seen is blizzy's ambient light adjustment plugin. Doesn't affect the strength of direct sunlight in itself, but it might suggest an approach. I've also heard that Alternis Kerbol does some interesting things with lighting (in addition to reshuffling all the planets). Might be some inspiration there for a sunlight-brightness mod.

While it's true that light levels get much lower when you get far from the sun, the human eye, probably the Kerbal eye, and a camera can all adapt to that. IIRC the light levels on Pluto are comparable to a typical living room, and Sedna at its furthest still receives about as much light as a full Moon night on Earth.

I looked at the Ambient Light Adjustment plugin, but it only seems to make a difference when it's dark, rather than on the amount of light that a planet receive during the day. I also did some research, and found that KSP uses a spline-based light level calculation system, but I want to see if I can modify this to use levels based on real-world equations, allowing for a more realistic results and completely dark rogue planets. Does anyone know how I might modify the existing calculations?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.