Remote Tech 2 - Shuttle dropping satellites and controlling them

So the idea is simple...take a shuttle to launch each satellite. But to make the discussion wholly rewarding, assume the worse is 100% of the time:

1) Shuttle and satellites launch as one ship and detach, becoming probes.

2) Satellites are not in range of KSC with omni antenna.

3) Satellites are not in direct contact, via dish, with KSC. (Yes, they can be during a portion of their orbit, but I want to tackle the issue of setting them up when on the other side of the planet and without an intermediary link between KSC and the soon to be deployed satellite)

The problem I am having is, I assume, with the remote guidance unit. I attached one to the shuttle because the tutorial's language regarding remote control of probes using the unit is not directly clear; mentioning you could have six kerbals.

The satellite, prior to detachment, cannot link, via dish, to the shuttle since it is part of the same craft. I have already tried setting it to "active ship" or whatever but that does not supplement directly targeting the shuttle. And once you disconnect the satellite, nothing can control it and command it (see below concerning omni antenna issues) so I cannot then target the shuttle and vice versa. Because of this, dish link to the shuttle cannot be made.

To overcome this, I attempted to have an omni link between the two. Both the satellite and the shuttle have antenna in range of each other that do not require manual linkage to be acquired. However, even if I extend the antenna prior to detachment, no linkage occurs. I still cannot control the satellite. Further, Remote Tech 2, in the map view, shows the existence of a possible link via omni between the two in gray, but not colored (yellow, etc.). Therefore, omni link cannot be established.

So what can we do?

I want to drop off satellites with a shuttle that in turn controls those satellites via proximity connection and NOT from KSC.Of course, I can make it so I control one at a time from KSC and fix the issues, but this allows better implementation and direct addressing of the issue, overall.

Can we do this?

Edited by Friend Bear

So the idea is simple...take a shuttle to launch each satellite. But to make the discussion wholly rewarding, assume the worse is 100% of the time:

1) Shuttle and satellites launch as one ship and detach, becoming probes.

2) Satellites are not in range of KSC with omni antenna.

3) Satellites are not in direct contact, via dish, with KSC. (Yes, they can be during a portion of their orbit, but I want to tackle the issue of setting them up when on the other side of the planet and without an intermediary link between KSC and the soon to be deployed satellite)

The problem I am having is, I assume, with the remote guidance unit. I attached one to the shuttle because the tutorial's language regarding remote control of probes using the unit is not directly clear; mentioning you could have six kerbals.

The satellite, prior to detachment, cannot link, via dish, to the shuttle since it is part of the same craft. I have already tried setting it to "active ship" or whatever but that does not supplement directly targeting the shuttle. And once you disconnect the satellite, nothing can control it and command it (see below concerning omni antenna issues) so I cannot then target the shuttle and vice versa. Because of this, dish link to the shuttle cannot be made.

To overcome this, I attempted to have an omni link between the two. Both the satellite and the shuttle have antenna, in range of each other, that do not require manual linkage to be acquired. However, even if I extend the antenna prior to detachment, no linkage occurs. I still cannot control the satellite. Further, Remote Tech 2, in the map view, shows the existence of a possible link via omni between the two in gray, but not colored (yellow, etc.). Therefore, omni link cannot be established.

So what can we do?

I want to drop off satellites with a shuttle that in turn controls those satellites via proximity connection and NOT from KSC.Of course, I can make it so I control one at a time from KSC and fix the issues, but this allows better implementation and direct addressing of the issue, overall.

Can we do this?

It should work if both the shuttle and the deployed probe have active omni antennas and the shuttle has both a 2.5m RGU and six kerbals on board. It worked for me the last time I tested it. Can you post a screenshot of the RGU's right-click menu after you have deployed the satellite?

It should work if both the shuttle and the deployed probe have active omni antennas and the shuttle has both a 2.5m RGU and six kerbals on board. It worked for me the last time I tested it. Can you post a screenshot of the RGU's right-click menu after you have deployed the satellite?

Il get a screenshot, sec.

But do you need a minimum of 6 kerbals in the shuttle/control center?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sewdbox9cgsc5ju/2014-09-29_00001.jpg?dl=0

Here is the shuttle at the pad (I expelled all satellites in the orbiting one to test multiple theories so here is a fresh one.

The shuttle and satellites have solar, dish, and omnis.

It is a 2-kerb shuttle.

Getting the screenshot you want, too. sec.

Edited by Friend Bear

Ah ok, hmm have to rethink this then. Guess it could be the large pod with 7-kerb room.

If you add the 2m crew tank that comes with B9 you will have your 6 kerbals. Alternatively you can get the Component Space Shuttle (Which actually looks like the space shuttle and carries 7 kerbals) Or the Kerbal Orbiter System which holds 6 kerbals.

If you add the 2m crew tank that comes with B9 you will have your 6 kerbals. Alternatively you can get the Component Space Shuttle (Which actually looks like the space shuttle and carries 7 kerbals) Or the Kerbal Orbiter System which holds 6 kerbals.

Crew tank! I didn't think about that. Yeah I'll do that.

I don't want to get shuttle mods. One step closer to using mechjeb for everything because of how integrated the shuttles are. I like complexity, which I guess is also why I'm tackling this issue. I appreciate the suggestions though, look like sweet shuttles.

Thanks guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.