[0.14-0.16] Kessler: asynchronous, shared-world multiplayer (+ save editor)

wow i like this addon/plugin but i was wonder if you could have another Download for the KSP V 0.13.3 all of my firends would love this :D

Not possible.... Only 0.14 and above can have simultaneous flight... sorry

Someone really needs to clean up some of these servers. Maybe turn off debris and nan errors as well as filter through the actual craft and only keep the ones that are actually still functional? Just a thought, I stopped using this because I can\'t handle 800 craft in my tracking center.

I\'m trying to use the editor to get a few rather oversized ships onto the Mun, no go. I use the Batch file, I see a screen flicker up, then close before I can get a look at it and.... nothing. According to my Task Manager, nothing happened; no Java window opened, nada. And I DID copy the .zip to my main KSP folder and extract it there, like the OP said to do. Am I screwing something horrible obvious up like I seem to do on a regular basis?

I\'m trying to use the editor to get a few rather oversized ships onto the Mun, no go. I use the Batch file, I see a screen flicker up, then close before I can get a look at it and.... nothing. According to my Task Manager, nothing happened; no Java window opened, nada. And I DID copy the .zip to my main KSP folder and extract it there, like the OP said to do. Am I screwing something horrible obvious up like I seem to do on a regular basis?

Are you using Win7? Try opening a DOS command window, change folder to the KSP folder and type 'kessler_editor.bat', that should work or at least show you what is wrong.

Maraz

^^ this is good advice, follow it and report back

Someone really needs to clean up some of these servers. Maybe turn off debris and nan errors as well as filter through the actual craft and only keep the ones that are actually still functional? Just a thought, I stopped using this because I can\'t handle 800 craft in my tracking center.

You can always turn off debris in the client so that it won\'t download debris from the server in the first place.

That said, even without debris the test server I\'m running is up to 300 ships, which is perhaps a bit much. Maybe once I have MET updates implemented I can add a thing that will expire flights that haven\'t been touched in a while?

Are you using Win7? Try opening a DOS command window, change folder to the KSP folder and type 'kessler_editor.bat', that should work or at least show you what is wrong.

Maraz

I am using 7, and by DOS you mean Command Line? sorry to sound stupid, but when it comes to computers, I know next to nothing about how the basic OS stuff and coding works, I merely use it.

I\'m still wondering if I fraked up install somehow, but I don\'t see how, especially as I\'ve reinstalled several times now, without any success.... is this because I need to start the Editor from Command line no matter what I do?

PS, the OP isn\'t exactly 'Helpful' when it comes to issues like this....

^^ this is good advice, follow it and report back

You can always turn off debris in the client so that it won\'t download debris from the server in the first place.

That said, even without debris the test server I\'m running is up to 300 ships, which is perhaps a bit much. Maybe once I have MET updates implemented I can add a thing that will expire flights that haven\'t been touched in a while?

Thank you so much. If I had the power to remove half of these final stage CMs orbiting Kerbol/Kerbin/Mun I\'d do it.

Lazurkri:

Your installation should look like this:

9fsm5x.jpg

If double-clicking the .bat file does opens a window and immediately closes it, try the following:

1. Open the Start Menu. In the search bar, type 'cmd' without quotes, and hit enter.

2. If your KSP folder is not on your C drive, change the current drive in the command window by typing the drive letter followed by a colon:

4kifkg.jpg

3. Now type 'cd' in the command window followed by a space, and drag the icon of your KSP folder into the command window. Hit enter. Should look like this (your folder path may be different):

sw91jl.jpg

4. Type 'kessler_editor.bat' and hit enter. Either the editor will start, or you will get an error message of some sort.

I hope these instructions are as clear as they can possibly be.

Maybe once I have MET updates implemented I can add a thing that will expire flights that haven\'t been touched in a while?

Might be a good idea. It\'s getting near an actual Kessler predicted disaster on my server. Although time may not be the only factor, perhaps lack of fuel, so all those stranded crews can 'move on'?

Some questions I had since I don\'t think they got answered:

How does this handle interaction between two different player\'s ships/junk?

Let\'s say this happens:

Player A makes a ship and sends it into orbit.

Player B somehow interacts with that ship and changes its path (makes it explode, nudges it, w/e)

What does player A see after this happens?

Also, is this option config-able?

'its just random idea'

that if.. in the future - where possible will be any multiplayer for KSP

make - launch a rocket - by time-limited assembly for each player (like in real life)

and maybe some ingame organisation needed to approve this lunch..

but in singleplayer you can just go crazy - like in 'simulation' :3

ps. for example some moders make new details of 'rockets' or support system

its can be like game-play element for some kind multiplayer

for example player can use 'primitive' basic details but for new rocket

he find in-game company (modders\players) for contract or purchase new parts..

like in steam-workshop..

ah nevermind - just random ideas :]

Some questions I had since I don\'t think they got answered:

How does this handle interaction between two different player\'s ships/junk?

Let\'s say this happens:

Player A makes a ship and sends it into orbit.

Player B somehow interacts with that ship and changes its path (makes it explode, nudges it, w/e)

What does player A see after this happens?

Also, is this option config-able?

Player A sees no changes.

As it is right now, the first version of a ship that the server sees gets 'frozen' on the server; if someone changes that ship and then connects again, it won\'t be uploaded a second time - any future changes made to it, by anyone, are local to that person\'s save file.

This is something I want to change, but personal life has been getting in the way of working on Kessler of late, and with v15 apparently changing the save file format again I figure it\'s best to wait for v15 anyways and then revisit it.

Does this work with 0.15? Or does it 'never' break with new updates?

I haven\'t had a chance to check - I\'m away all this weekend and won\'t be able to try v15 until sometime next week.

I\'ve had a chance to look at a few v15 saves and it doesn\'t look like it\'s changed significantly, so it might work. Give it a try and report back. :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this. Doesn\'t seem too hard, maybe just add a hook that checks for the ship\'s owner and then goes from there? *shrug*

It\'s harder than it sounds. For example, KSP has no concept of 'ownership' and Kessler has no way of distinguishing different KSP installs. I have a few thoughts on that but it\'s something that would have to be added from scratch.

There isn\'t even a good way of distinguishing duplicate ships; there aren\'t unique ship or part IDs, for example (at least, in v14). At the moment it does it using some fairly ugly hacks based on LCT (Last Control Time?) which is mostly reliable.

Hopefully v15 has added some info to the save files that will make this easier, but since v15 seems to be mostly focused on the spaceplane hangar I wouldn\'t bet on it.

Do I need to change my firewall settings?

Cause everytime I try to connect it times out

If you\'re running a client, you need to allow outgoing connections from it. This shouldn\'t require any special setup.

If you\'re hosting a server, you need to allow incoming TCP connections on the port the server is using.

If you\'re trying to connect to my test server specifically, it\'s down right now, which would be why you\'re having problems.

It\'s harder than it sounds. For example, KSP has no concept of 'ownership' and Kessler has no way of distinguishing different KSP installs. I have a few thoughts on that but it\'s something that would have to be added from scratch.

There isn\'t even a good way of distinguishing duplicate ships; there aren\'t unique ship or part IDs, for example (at least, in v14). At the moment it does it using some fairly ugly hacks based on LCT (Last Control Time?) which is mostly reliable.

What about adding a field with a unique 'serial' for each ship (like the Unix time of creation), comparing the MET for each ship, and then replacing the earlier one with a later one?

If you\'re running a client, you need to allow outgoing connections from it. This shouldn\'t require any special setup.

If you\'re hosting a server, you need to allow incoming TCP connections on the port the server is using.

If you\'re trying to connect to my test server specifically, it\'s down right now, which would be why you\'re having problems.

How do I allow outgoing connections?

What about adding a field with a unique 'serial' for each ship (like the Unix time of creation), comparing the MET for each ship, and then replacing the earlier one with a later one?

I\'ve tried that; depending on how it\'s added, the field is either discarded when the game is loaded and saved again, or KSP refuses to load the save file at all.

I\'ve been kicking around a few ideas, but it\'s not an easy problem to solve.

I\'ve tried that; depending on how it\'s added, the field is either discarded when the game is loaded and saved again, or KSP refuses to load the save file at all.

I\'ve been kicking around a few ideas, but it\'s not an easy problem to solve.

Could you just create a separate save file, just for Kessler? With enough info to identify each ship?

Or have Kessler process a save file, change it up, and then give it to KSP?

You obviously know more than me, but I\'m trying to get into programming, and I was curious on your thoughts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.