[PLUGIN, PART, 0.17] Bigtrak KSP Edition v.30 Liltrak

chickenplucker

The .craft files included don\'t work anymore with 0.16.

I guess you are already aware of that, but I have no idea how to put the whole lander together.

Please don\'t forget to update that one too! :)

p.s. Great work, great mod!

Tried this it works... kinda. The crew pod holds no fuel, the crew pods part placement is weird. If you put a pod in the bigtrak and get out of it you die, if the pod is inside the bigtrak you can\'t get back in it. The bigtrak works though!

Here\'s a little .cfg edit I did of one of the floodlight model:

It adds little crew windows with a homely glow (press o key) for your space habitats, command modules, and airliners :)

All it is is a slightly edited texture, rescaled down by factor of 0.6, tweaked the node attachments, and fiddled with the glow to 360degrees and 30m range, and changed the colour of the light.

Place in groups to give more glow, as just one on its own won\'t really light up other parts.

Thanks ever so much to chickenplucker for the pack and tosh for the .dll

I didn\'t anything but add a couple of lines to the cfg and fiddle a bit with the numbers.

cheers

Those are nice iffy, great work! Really helps make the ships feel a lot warmer and not so sterile.

This weekend I\'m going to redo the front page and clean up that mess of pictures to make room for new stuff and a spot for neat related mods like this one.

Possibly, for now though it runs on a whisper quiet brushless electric motor :P.

Well, I started working on getting things setup in .16 correctly but this may have to wait until the new tools are released. I\'ve disected the .mu files of the new command pods in the game to understand how the airlocks and hand holds are setup but so far no luck merging/bashing the two together. This is a lot of work for something that should be fairly easy to do soon, so this may have to wait.

Possibly, for now though it runs on a whisper quiet brushless electric motor :P.

Well, I started working on getting things setup in .16 correctly but this may have to wait until the new tools are released. I\'ve disected the .mu files of the new command pods in the game to understand how the airlocks and hand holds are setup but so far no luck merging/bashing the two together. This is a lot of work for something that should be fairly easy to do soon, so this may have to wait.

Toss the problem Harvs way, I\'m sure he\'ll look it over

I\'m sure he has more then enough on his plate right now ;) and this issue is more of me just being impatient trying to implement something that the mod community as a whole has yet to receive the proper tools for anyways. They will come in time though, just have to wait it out :).

I\'m sure he has more then enough on his plate right now ;) and this issue is more of me just being impatient trying to implement something that the mod community as a whole has yet to receive the proper tools for anyways. They will come in time though, just have to wait it out :).

Hmmn, true. Ah well, whatever you come up with will no doubt be awesome!

Although, I'm wondering how you'd make the Bike into a "EVA" capable vehicle.... look kinda weird to have your big kerbalnaut climb out of Evel Kerbneval, no?

I seem to be having problems too... none of the crafts loaded until I edited them with the latest version, but the parts in the VAB say that they are incompatible. I can load the crafts now, but the standard controls for them won't work. I dunno if I screwed up something this time or what.

I seem to be having problems too... none of the crafts loaded until I edited them with the latest version, but the parts in the VAB say that they are incompatible. I can load the crafts now, but the standard controls for them won't work. I dunno if I screwed up something this time or what.

Mod works fine for me, the .craft files are for KSP 14 though and the craft file format changed in 16 so they are incompatible.

What has 6 wheels and an escape hatch?

This thing!

bigtrak54.jpg

Couldn't get the airlock or .mu format to work with the cart plugin so its setup as two seprate parts right now; a command pod and the Bigtrak. Having two parts actually works out pretty good since the game doesn't like concave collision meshes. This way the command pod collision is the shape of the front upper hull so your kerbals can walk around on top of it and actually follow the models shape instead of walking through it. The Bigtrak also got new (recycled) tires and some thermal plates in the wheelwells. :)

finally got my account into working again :)

I love dat cool wheel texture!!!

btw can you add custom ZO2 main system and EPS battery for the Big Trak???

I'm currently using small ext. tank for housing ZO2 main system and PJ ASAS for battery, with DR rotatron for attaching EPS Drills...

I'm kinda satisfied with my ZO2-fied Big Trak but you know, integrated parts always look better :)

What has 6 wheels and an escape hatch?

Couldn't get the airlock or .mu format to work with the cart plugin so its setup as two seprate parts right now; a command pod and the Bigtrak. Having two parts actually works out pretty good since the game doesn't like concave collision meshes. This way the command pod collision is the shape of the front upper hull so your kerbals can walk around on top of it and actually follow the models shape instead of walking through it. The Bigtrak also got new (recycled) tires and some thermal plates in the wheelwells. :)

Looks great, are you going to release it yet? I've been anxiously waiting for a crewable Bigtrack. :)

Just an FYI, the cart plugin has been updated and now supports models made in the .mu format so ladders etc can now be added to carts (the mun rover ladder is now functional too :D ). Although I think the command pod and the big trak should stay as a 2 part set-up maybe the big trak base could be moved onto .mu so we can have some footsteps from the command pod?

Someone please help me! >.> Every single time i launch the bigtrak cuttlefish no matter how much power, how stable or unstable, rcs thrusters or not, EVERY time my rocket flies straight and true until between 10km-20km it just dips and i totally lose control. I've even tried using mechjeb to launch it but failed... It flies almost perfect until it hits that height then just takes a nose dive, what am i doing wrong?

Well I've cleaned up the front page a bit since it was getting cluttered and have released the current working files I'm still playing with. The command pod has a big ol cube on it in the VAB that is the outline for the airlock. I left it visible for tweaking purposes and I think its about 90 degrees off as the poor Kerbals land on their back when spawned from the hatch. Ladders are a pain right now since the sides are so steep, the next collision model for the Bigtrak may have a tweaked beveled lip around the top so that ladders can crest the top of the cargo bay.

@ssTALONps

That would be neat but I'm not sure I'm up to that just yet. The new .16 version shook this mod up pretty good so everything needs refresh before I can start making new things. But maybe in time, who knows.

@6677

I think it should be two parts as well, helps with the collision mesh on the front hull, I need to get some ladders permenantly added on this thing now :P.

@superwonderdog77

As easy as it would be to redo the craft files I dont think I will get to it until I've had a chance to rework the most of the Cuttlefish files. It needs more details/ladders/crew areas before it gets added back into the new pack. This should be done before .17 to help with visiting Nova's neat new planets.

I'm going to bed now and will play more with this tommarow. Spent the day swapping a motor on a lifted GMC and pretty much every part of me is tired, hurting, or covered in dirt and grease. Gnight!

Double posting with some screeny goodness of lil' trak. I got board of working on converting the Bigtrak to .mu and Cart 1.33 and ended up making this guy instead. Posted this in IRC but figured I might as well add the pics here too.

liltrak.jpg

liltrak1.jpg

liltrak3.jpg

Its about half the size of the Bigtrak and will carry two claustrophobic Kerbals in their misadventures. I may make a smaller 3 leaf Cuttlefish and single crewpod, or maybe a skycrane since they seem to be the in thing right now for its lander :P

Edited by chickenplucker

I nearly bought a bigtrak IRL the other day, was in a clearance sale for £15, normally its in the £30 to £40 bracket. Decided that there wasn't any point.

I like the lil'trak. Is it 2 pieces? (alternately I can probably recompile the cart+pod thing I did to be compatible with carts 1.33).

Looks like it will should be alot lighter for planetary landings. Only thing we need now is a folding ramp to go on the back of the bigtrak so we can get the liltrak onto it :D

Safely, now that's a funny word :P

Small update, I've tweaked Tosh's Cart Plugin a bit by changing that one line that you specified a while back 6677.

So now the modified version of the Cart plugin will support Bigtraks and LilTraks as command pod/Carts. Had to change a couple of classes names and around 25 calls to the class so that it would work correctly with the new context menu thing that was added with 1.33. Now just need to tighten up the Bigtrak collision model and add some ladders and slap the LilTrak together and it should be good for a release by this weekend or maybe sooner.

Just in case anyone is wondering the tweaked Cart plugin that the Bigtrak will now use is named differently than the standard cart plugin so they can be used side by side how 6677 had it set up. This will prevent plugin issues if Tosh releases a new version and I forget to update it. (ie. like the post in the Cart thread a bit ago)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.