A minor request from a person with a relatively minor computer

Yes it does import into KSP, but a lot of things don't seem to take advantage of it :-\

Well, I'm using 24 sides on my cylinders, like the rest, but somehow my models don't look smooth at all compared to the rest.

Smoothing in Blender works slightly differently than other software. Instead of assigning faces to smoothing groups, you add an 'edge split' modifier to the object and mark the edges on the perimeter of each smoothing group as sharp (or let Blender do it automatically based on the angle between faces).

None of that matters, however, because Blender's .dae exporter is terrible and it ignores all modifiers.

I agree that we really need a LOD system in place to make things easier on lower-end computers, but for now, addon makers really need to keep the limitations of the engine in mind, and try not to abuse the polycount.

Here, we try to keep all parts at no more than 1,500 polys each, and strive to keep them under a thousand.

Also, the textures don't need to be higher than 512x512. Most parts will actually do well with even less. Only the largest parts, like the engines, fuel tanks and the pod have 512 maps, the smaller ones use 256x256, and the really small ones (like the new struts) use a 128x128 map. The size of a texture map can also have a big impact on performance. Thankfully, Unity does have a texture quality control built-in.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.