Why are flags flights in progress?

Hey guys,

I've noticed that if I plant a flag, it is listed as a "flight in progress" in both the subheading of the game save title and in the tracking screen. What gives? A flag is not a spaceship. It's not a flight. And I would think by definition, it is NOT in progress!

Does anyone know of a way to...

one, fix it so that a flag is not listed as a flight in progress

two, set it up so that flags are turned off by default in the tracking screen

and three, on an only slightly related note, set it up so that debris is turned ON by default?

Edited by Rainbowtrout

In the tracking station (or the map view), move the mouse to the top middle of the screen. A menu should pop up that let's you filter what is shown. In 0.25 these settings are persistent as well.

I don't think it is possible to stop flags from showing up in the flights in progress however.

in 0.25 the settings of the orbital map will be saved. once you turn off the flags and turn on the debris it stays... that's how it looks to me since the update. i've turned debris once on and have it now every time in my save. that wasn't so in 0.24.2

I've noticed that if I plant a flag, it is listed as a "flight in progress" in both the subheading of the game save title and in the tracking screen. What gives? A flag is not a spaceship. It's not a flight. And I would think by definition, it is NOT in progress!

I believe this is a relic of ongoing game development. In the beginning there were only ships (and their wreckage) and the label "flights in progess" dates to that era. Then a year or so ago we got the ability to plant flags which don't fit the old label.

But still, there are essentially 2 main types of objects in the game. Permanent stuff like planets and transient things, most of which are created by players (ships, debris, flags, Kerbals floating alone in the infinite void, etc.), but now also asteroids randomly spawned and despawned by the game. All these transient things are referred to as "ships" or "flights" and the game handles them in more or less the same general way.

So, whatcha gonna do? If you don't like everything lumped under "flights in progress", do you replace it with a more accurate (though uninspiring) but still catch-all label like "stuff in space"? Or do you clutter up the screen with multiple specific labels like "Kerbals, ships, and debris", "flags", and "asteroids"?

While flags as flights in progress is counterintuitive, accessing them is useful for You Tubers and still capturers in order to get their intended camera angle/ view. I'm guessing that the developers will eventually reclassify flags so that they are not considered as active flights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.