Help Rotating Models in Editors - Answered

As someone with no experience creating models or the like, I'm curious as to whether there's a straightforward way to change the orientation of a part in it's image in the parts list.

I've got two radial parts that appear with their nondescript back sides facing outward in their default parts list image. This isn't proper problem at all, but for the sake of aesthetics and having them be slightly more easy to identify at a glance, I'd prefer it if I could rotate the models 180º.

Hopefully this illustrates what I'm on about. The left image is the default presentation, the second is the result of mousing over the part, triggering the standard rotation of the highlighted part.

jbgCSpZ.png

My gut says that I'd probably have to open the models in Blender and rotate them as I like, then re-save the model file, but I figured I'd ask here in case there's an easier way to accomplish what I'm looking for.

Edited by Boomerang
Title change

Does it spawn the right way around when you drag it into the scene in-game? My first thought was like you said though, rotating it in blender 180 degrees on the Y axis. But it seems strange that it rotates when you mouseover it. Someone else probably knows better than me :P

Edited by Neeken

You can use MODEL{} to do it.

MODEL
{
model = whatever/wherever/whoever/part
rotation = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
}

It's X,Y,Z for the rotation of the parts. Y in Unity is up/down.

The rotation in there is in degrees, so you'd need to set one to 180.0. You will also need to adjust node_attach to compensate for the rotated model. Typically just changing positive numbers to negative numbers is good enough.

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.17, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

Becomes;

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.17, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

Edited by hoojiwana

Does it spawn the right way around when you drag it into the scene in-game? My first thought was like you said though, rotating it in blender 180 degrees on the Y axis. But it seems strange that it rotates when you mouseover it. Someone else probably knows better than me :P

It did spawn correctly, yeah. And the rotating behavior is standard for me. Might be a product of EditorExtensions, but I'm pretty sure it's a stock feature.

You can use MODEL{} to do it.

MODEL
{
model = whatever/wherever/whoever/part
rotation = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
}

It's X,Y,Z for the rotation of the parts. Y in Unity is up/down.

The rotation in there is in degrees, so you'd need to set one to 180.0. You will also need to adjust node_attach to compensate for the rotated model. Typically just changing positive numbers to negative numbers is good enough.

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.17, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

Becomes;

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.17, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

Thanks a lot for that, I've seen the rotation line before but plum forgot about it. By rotating it by 180º in the cfg, I got it to display properly in the editor. The side affect being that now it spawns backwards, but tapping Q/E twice fixes that easily enough and my slightly ridiculous need to have the parts list looking nice is sated.

If I ever get around to teaching myself how to use Blender I'll try to figure out a proper fix, but yours was just what I was looking for.

And thanks to both of you for the prompt replies!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.