Hi all!

Agost

Hello everybody, I'm Agost from Italy.

I've just played the demo and I have watched almost all Scott Manley's KSP videos, but I still don't have the full game. That's because it is quite addictive and it takes a lot of time ( and I have to study ); moreover I would like to wait for the next sale to get it, even if I don't think I will play it until there's a stable, moddable x64 version... since I don't want to lose all my progresses switching from 32 bit to 64, which requires a fresh install.

By the way... should I buy it from Steam or directly from KSP site? Does KSP official site put the game on sale sometimes, like Steam? Moreover, what could be the pros of buying it on Steam?

Thank you and... fly safe.

You wouldn't lose all your progress you can have multiple games on your pc and to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit and still have your progress you just need to copy your save file from 32 bit directory to 64 bit directory.

Also welcome to the forums

P.S your English is very good.

So 32bit saves are compatible with 64 bit ones? No random explosions etc?

Are there any sales on ksp official site, like on Steam?

p.s.: thank you, but I usually spend some time polishing my posts.

i think that if you want to have huge amounts of fun with glitches, then dont play super careful. watch how Danny2462 does it.

I don't like glitches, I'm planning to play with at least FAR, Scansat, Deadly Reentry, ISP scaler TAC life support... something a bit more realistic than stock KSP but not as Realism Overhaul ( real sized bodies etc ). Probably I will try RemoteTech, if it doesn't cause issues.

Essentially, take Scott Manley's mod list and add something linked to science gathering and a bit more realistic exploration ( for example, SCANsat to pick a good landing spot )

Edited by Agost

Mmmmmhhh... can I make multiple KSP folder if I buy it from Steam? For example, have the latest stock version on Steam and the modded one in another directory? Can I choose to download both 32bit and 64 bit from steam?

Mmmmmhhh... can I make multiple KSP folder if I buy it from Steam? For example, have the latest stock version on Steam and the modded one in another directory? Can I choose to download both 32bit and 64 bit from steam?

As there is no special loader for the Steam version, you can copy the entire folder to another location, create a Shortcut from the KSP.exe, place it on your desktop, and run the copy from there without launching Steam.

For the 64 bit version, just create a shortcut for the KSP_x64.exe and run that. Your saves from the 32 bit version will run from the existing folder.

Want to play with mods? Just create a copy of KSP and use it to add mods to. Rename the shortcut to KSP Mods so you can distinguish it from the stock version.

As there is no special loader for the Steam version, you can copy the entire folder to another location, create a Shortcut from the KSP.exe, place it on your desktop, and run the copy from there without launching Steam.

For the 64 bit version, just create a shortcut for the KSP_x64.exe and run that. Your saves from the 32 bit version will run from the existing folder.

Want to play with mods? Just create a copy of KSP and use it to add mods to. Rename the shortcut to KSP Mods so you can distinguish it from the stock version.

Could I have more than one Steam install, to track hours played etc. even on the modded install?

I already know that I can link the store version to steam ( for steam overlay and screenshots, but not for update... right? ), but I don't think it will track hours played with the other KSP install...

Still doubts about store and steam, even if the actual folder is identical AFAIK

Store pros: more money to devs, easier to manage different versions of ksp and mods... and?

Store cons: I've read that the updater isn't very reliable and KSP server are very slow for the first days after a new release... and?

Steam pros: possible auto update, tracking hours played, steam overlay, screenshots, medals etc... and?

Steam cons: less money to devs, possibile future DRM-thingy (?)... and?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.