[WIN] TED - KSP Tech Tree Editor - v0.2.4 ALPHA [EARLY TESTING]

Nelien

I am pointing to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program

+1 for a drag and drop system

+1 for pictures

Also like said above im not good at the config file but this allows me to do the things I want to do in the tree.

See the layout of the full Tech Tree here: http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/6478191/L.png

Its a very expansive tree I have specific programs to research like the Space X program or the Space Station Program to get specific parts

I will share out this tech tree and the modlist in one simple drag and drop zip file when its compleated. Also I will be running this on a dedicated Darkmultiplayer server for those who are interested in joining.

Ok another bug. When I go into game and unlock more than 2 techs the whole tree disappears.

Edited by SheepDog2142

5thHorseman said:
Here's what I was thinking. Pictures would be great but really not necessary. (Sorry about the quick and dirty mspaint pic)

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

The idea is you can drag each part (the names) to other nodes, AND drag the nodes themselves around.

You could have the same list you have now off to the right to drag "unassigned parts" from.

And in case I haven't said it yet, thanks for doing this. It'll really open up the tech tree to a lot of creative people who can't be arsed to spend days modifying config files. (like me!)

Ah, I see... Hmm, not a huge fan of that idea as I'd like the tool to mimic the look and feel of the KSP R&D building as much as possible, with added extras of course, but not that big of a deviation in design. Besides, I feel like the way you're suggesting would make the nodes far too large for a good overview of the tech tree, you'll only see a handful of nodes in the screen at the same time.

That said it does give me some ideas of how to deal with nodes in general, and I'm keen to try some alternatives than the typical sidebar layout. Maybe clicking on a node a small hover-over kind of "container" would pop up with all the parts inside, and from there you could drag and drop parts out of that node into other nodes....

In any case, first and foremost I'd like to get the basic functionality in a stable state and then later on play around with UX and UI design ideas :).

Got a minor update ready. I now no longer support TreeLoader files but have updated the code to support TechManager files fully (saved files should be directly loadable by TechManager v1.3+).

Parts now also get removed from the "total parts" list if they are already added to a node. Thanks to 5thHorseman for pointing that out!

TED - KSP Tech Tree Editor v0.2.3 Alpha

Download - Source - Readme

Changelog.

v0.2.3

- TechManager v1.3 support

- No longer supports TreeLoader, TreeLoader has discontinued

- Adding and removing parts from nodes should make more sense now as the list only shows parts that haven't already been assigned to a node

Edit:

More Bugs to Smash

#1 Adding parts to nodes then saving them they show in game but once loaded back in the tree editor the part in the nodes are gone. I am using the tech manager format.

#2 Node after the update new and old no longer show lines to the next node in game. They unlock fine but no way to trace where they go.

#3 If a part say a battery is in a node earlier than it was before it will unlock the original node it was located in from the start.

#4 Laztek SpaceX HD mod packs cause the Editor to not load any parts ( need theses mod parts for my tree)

Ideas: Part search box and sort by mod would be really helpful

Also any specific testing you want to try out let me know and ill try it.

Update:

After more testing I found that the mod that causes parts to not show inside of nodes in the editor are All of the Umbra Space Industries Mods and the LackLuster Labs pack.

( I need USI for my tree or half of the tree is gone)

MODS THAT CONFLICT WITH 0.2.3

* LazTek Space X Packs

* Umbra Space Industries Packs

* LackLuster Labs Pack

Edited by SheepDog2142

Ok so I did some testing and I found what is causing the parts not to appear.I went thro and pulled out each mod individually until I found the one that was causing the bug. It is the Laztek SpaceX HD mod packs. I love these parts and I hope we can find a work around this?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to do that! That is very helpful. I will have a look at that mod to see why it's misbehaving.

Edit:

More Bugs to Smash

#1 Adding parts to nodes then saving them they show in game but once loaded back in the tree editor the part in the nodes are gone. I am using the tech manager format.

#2 Node after the update new and old no longer show lines to the next node in game. They unlock fine but no way to trace where they go.

#3 If a part say a battery is in a node earlier than it was before it will unlock the original node it was located in from the start.

#4 Laztek SpaceX HD mod packs cause the Editor to not load any parts ( need theses mod parts for my tree)

Ideas: Part search box and sort by mod would be really helpful

I've narrowed down the issue with the Laztek Spacex mod, it's an issue in the config of their files, which actually should probably be mentioned to them considering the issue is most likely causing the spaceX heatshields (as this is where the problem lies) to not work properly. I will make sure to ignore errors like this however so that the tree loads with the parts despite minor internal errors in their config files.

For the meantime, if you want, you can relatively easily fix the config files. On every part that has a heat shield (contains a MODULE { name = ModuleHeatShield...), look for the line ablative = AblativeShielding, after that line should be an opening bracket ("{"), add the word loss right before that bracket.

So:

ablative = AblativeShielding

{

key = 650 0 0 0

should be:

ablative = AblativeShielding

loss

{

key = 650 0 0 0

I know it's a little tedious but that fix will both fix the actual mod to work properly with DeadlyReentry and allow it to load in TED. I will have a fix for this up as soon as possible.

As for the other issues, do you mind sending me the tree file you generated that caused you those issues? I can't seem to replicate them on my own machine.

Very nice project! But here are the bugs when I try to use the editor:

- When loading a stock/TechManager tree, the nodes are not displayed at the right positions.

- I point to the right KSP install folder, but the part list is empty.

- If I try to start a new empty tech tree, the editor crashes.

Very nice project! But here are the bugs when I try to use the editor:

- When loading a stock/TechManager tree, the nodes are not displayed at the right positions.

- I point to the right KSP install folder, but the part list is empty.

- If I try to start a new empty tech tree, the editor crashes.

Thanks for testing this Shinsaka.

Can you send me the tree you're trying to load that shows the nodes in the incorrect positions?

The last two of your issues is probably related to a known issue when loading parts. I'm looking into it and hope to have a fix out soon.

I've hot-fixed the release (v0.2.3) with an updated library file which deals with the loading of parts, etc (another project of mine). Which means it should be a bit more lenient when it detects a "broken" part.cfg, and load it anyway. This should fix the problems with the LazTek SpaceX pack and hopefully most issues Shinsaka might be having. Just re-download the zip, and replace your local files.

I'll update the release to a new version proper once I've got the logging system in place, but this may not be for a few days.

Ok just tried it out. It did fix the problem with loading the spaceX field.

The problem of Items that where placed into a node not showing because of the USI and Lack Luster Labs mods tho is still there.

Seems like your getting close tho

I had no idea you had problems with USI and Lack Luster Labs, I went back to your post and saw that you added that as an edit. There's no way for me to know if you've edited a post so I won't be able to see information added to old posts. If you find a new issue, please post it as a new post. Thanks for keeping up with testing though! It's extremely useful of course :).

I'll investigate that when I have a chance but the weekend is over here now so it'll take longer before I can look at the issues again.

That sucks that you've given up on treeloader. The mods I have require it. Does anyone know of an alternative to this and the others that really works for treeloader .cfg files?

TED Tree Edit 2.2 allows you to convert a TreeEdit/Tree Loader file into a ATC file then the new Tech Manager 2.3 allows a ATC file to be converted to a Tech Manager File

That sucks that you've given up on treeloader. The mods I have require it. Does anyone know of an alternative to this and the others that really works for treeloader .cfg files?

Hey Furious, the thing is, it's very time consuming to support a variety of file formats, and given that TreeLoader has been essentially abandoned by the developer, has a restrictive license stopping anyone from continuing developing AND there's a perfectly functional alternative, I decided to stop support to give myself more time to work on improving the tool itself. In due time, mods will migrate to TechManager and TreeLoaded will be forgotten in the histories of modding :).

In the meantime however, as a transitional period, I'd be happy to add minor import support for TreeLoader, and/or a converter between the formats (TreeLoader and TechManager are virtually identical in file format). I just don't want to keep full support for a dying mod.

If you don't mind me asking, what mods is are there that require you to use TreeLoader? (I imagine you're still running on KSP 0.24 since TreeLoader doesn't even work in 0.25).

- - - Updated - - -

TED Tree Edit 2.2 allows you to convert a TreeEdit/Tree Loader file into a ATC file then the new Tech Manager 2.3 allows a ATC file to be converted to a Tech Manager File

Hehe, clever idea! That would work.

I've hot-fixed the release (v0.2.3) with an updated library file which deals with the loading of parts, etc (another project of mine). Which means it should be a bit more lenient when it detects a "broken" part.cfg, and load it anyway. This should fix the problems with the LazTek SpaceX pack and hopefully most issues Shinsaka might be having. Just re-download the zip, and replace your local files.

I'll update the release to a new version proper once I've got the logging system in place, but this may not be for a few days.

Just tried the hotfix! Now the editor don't crash anymore when I start a stock/blank tree, and the parts list is now full.

But the nodes of the new stock tree don't have parts, it is on purpose?

The nodes display is still messy, it happens with any tree file, even a new stock one. I'll try to post a screenshot of that.

New problem to report.

I started a new tree, made one node (start) and placed into it the mk1 cockpit, swept wings, small gear bay, z100 battery and a winglet (the one with the small flap), saved it as an ATC file but KSP was still loading the T-7 tree despite me changing the default tree in ATC. When I opened the tree I had saved, it had changed to the T-7 one, even though I checked the tree in Notepad++ and it showed what I had done.

Also, it seems that TED isn't assigning parts to the 'Start' node, in Notepad++ the parts still had their standard node assignments (aerodynamics, high altitude, etc.)

EDIT: Heres a screenshot showing the saved techtree and what TED is saying is in it.

juGkJ2P.jpg

Edited by djnattyd

This is a great start. Some things that would definitely be useful are grid snap, more than one letter for the node name, an option to list parts by their in-game name, and better indication of where the arrows are. I know the circle is supposed to show the direction, but if it has a line going in and another coming out then you can't tell which is pointing where. I think there should be two connection points, one for incoming lines and one for outgoing lines. It would also be helpful if the lines followed right angles like in the RnD building, but that's not that big of an issue.

The GUI right now could be kinda limiting when having to sort a lot of parts. I think it'd be useful if the list of parts in the node and list of unused parts were parallel instead of stacked. I'd also prefer that the unused parts weren't sorted by VAB categories. I just think there it needs to be easier to see a list of parts in each list. An easy fix would be to make the part names a smaller font and make them not so spaced out. That alone looks like it could double the amount of parts shown.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a bug. I used this to edit a tree that previously worked with TechManager, and it stopped working once I edited it. The issue was it had replaced "icon = LARGEPROBES" with "icon = UNDEFINED." Switching it back solved the problem.

Another bug is in the TechManager header it has "id" and "name" when it should be "id" and "label"

Edited by cvod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.