Renewal

LitaAlto

[Note: This is entirely based on my headcanon for the game, which is inspired by others' headcanons. I make no claim of suitability, and cannot guarantee that this headcanon will play nicely with others.]

kerb, noun. 1. A large root vegetable, roughly 30-40 cm in length and 45-60 cm in diameter. 2. A young, immature Kerbal.

"Wake up, Jebediah. It's time again."

"...Mom, is that you?"

"Heh. No, Jebediah. It's me. Remember?"

"OH. Yes, yes of course I remember. It's been... a long time."

"Yes, it has. I wish things didn't get so out of hand. But it's all right now."

"So, why did you wake me up?"

"I had another dream about the Long People."

"Didn't the last dream lead to things... getting out of hand?"

"Yes, it did. But this one's different. The Long People were flying."

"Flying? With wings?"

"Wings they made, in some cases, yes. And sometimes, without wings. Fire-breathing machines, many many times taller than they. I think they called them 'rockets.' They flew beyond where I can ever reach."

"'Rockets', huh? Silly name. But I like the idea. I... I think I'd like flying these rockets."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. Because I'd like you, and other Kerbals, to reach for me."

"To what end, though? Last time it was apparently out of curiosity, and.... I don't mean to challenge you, you know more than I ever will, but I can't forget last time."

"And I wouldn't expect you to. Not that other Kerbals will remember. But I need you to remember, to remind me not to repeat old mistakes."

"So, what next? Do you know how to make these rockets?"

"Not exactly, but soon you'll be joined by Kerbals who can figure it out. Then, Jebediah, I want you to visit other worlds."

"...Worlds? What are worlds?"

"You're standing on one."

"But I thought I was standing on y--oh, I see. I think. So, there are others?"

"Yes, there are."

"And you want me to find them?"

"Yes."

"And talk to them?"

"I don't know if any can talk, Jebediah. We'll have things for you to do, so we can find out as much as we can."

"So this is about curiosity, again?"

"I think this goes beyond curiosity, to be honest."

"Yes, it must get lonely at times. What should I do to get ready?"

"...I'd practice jumping."

I get the odd feeling that I want more... this has potential.

Thank you very much!

There was a bit of story I had considered posting first--just to give some background--but I realized it gave away too much, too quickly. Maybe it'll wind up being a flashback later in the story arc.

But basically I wanted to try to address a lot of aspects of the game that doesn't entirely square with human perspectives. For example--they have technology, but no visible signs of a technological civilization other than the Space Program itself. And they can survive conditions that would cause a human to die fairly quickly. And when they "die", they can respawn as if nothing had happened. Things like that. Eventually I'll address these and more.

• 3 weeks later...
Crap, I like this headcanon, but it goes against EVERYTHING MY HEADCANON STANDS FOR!

- - - Updated - - -

I think arousal is a erm... bad name.

Why, does it arouse your headcanon to do battle with mine? Do we need to strap head cannons on?

(Don't mind me, I'm sick and thus alternating between silly and crabby.)

Are you there Margaret? It's me, God.

YAY REFERENCES!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.