Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System

Felbourn

Greetings Kerbanauts! This is Kerbal Space Program, Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System.

http://imgur.com/w0mVVwG.png

If you have facts you want to share about any craft I have launched, or that will eventually launch, feel free to share it all here and I will get it into my videos if I can!

Why is it called Project Alexandria? The Royal Library of Alexandria, or Ancient Library of Alexandria, in Alexandria, Egypt, was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world. It was an attempt to gather together all knowledge into one place. It was lost in a fire, so... all spaceflight history... fire... sounds right to me!

"Will you be doing mission _______ by county _______?"

You can answer this yourself. Ask these questions instead. Was it a major event? If so, yes I'll do it. When? Well... what year did it happen? I go chronologically.

Music

Intro - Our Story Begins

Outro - Carefree

Saved links for reference material:

Episode 1

General History

Rocket Info

Space Firsts

Gunter's

Various Rockets

Episode 2

Sputnik 1

Various Facts

Vanguard 1

Episode 3

Pioneer 1 wiki

NASA Launch Archives

Pioneer 1 details

Launch Picture

LR-79-7

Thor Family

Thor-Able

Thor Stages

Large Engines Chart

Thor pics

b14643 Site Map

NASA NSSDC Rocket List

Pioneer 3

braeunig Atlas

Episode 4

Vanguard Info

Cornoa Missions

more Cornoa Info

Juno Info

more Juno Info

Episode 5

Luna Info

more Luna Info

Early Launch Videos

Earth Images From Orbit

Episode 6

Awesome Rocket Interiors

Mercury & Gemini saved for later

Vostok

Vostok Image

Animals in Space

Vostok

Vostok Adaptations

Shuttle

Space Shuttle

Manual

NASA Info

OMS

Other References

Space Station Rescue

Hey what mods are used in the video series?

The mods are hard to nail down. Each flight might require one or two parts from a variety of mods. I use a lot of Radiernick's probes and launchers, and FASA. I use all the standard RSS mods. It's almost the same as Project Odyssey, so if you use the git link for that then you'll have a long list of them.

The mods are hard to nail down. Each flight might require one or two parts from a variety of mods. I use a lot of Radiernick's probes and launchers, and FASA. I use all the standard RSS mods. It's almost the same as Project Odyssey, so if you use the git link for that then you'll have a long list of them.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So glad to see your finally to the Saturn1. I like this rocket especially. Great episode.

You may already be ahead of me on that one, but that video was one of the more informative documentaries Ive seen. ( Skip to 25:50 for a shot i never knew existed )

And... thoughts on Project Highwater? I cant imagine if theres a way to make an effect for a giant cloud of ice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This series will return after the RSS mod has been upgraded to 1.0.2 or better. I'll also reboot Enterprise to the new version.

Whew, I'm glad it's just a pause. I'm really enjoying this series and I know how much effort has to go into each episode.

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing really to upgrade. Things I have in orbit now are irrelevant. If I really want them just to show that there's "stuff" there then I could cheat probe cores into those same orbital parameters. I don't need to ever visit those craft ever again. It seems like every episode I need to make whole new ships, so nothing will carry over. I just want to be on the latest version to get the new features and improvements.

Now as for Project Enterprise... in that case I need to upgrade that craft. I am not going to stay on 0.90 all through the Space Shuttle years, so I might as well wait for RSS on 1.0.2 and switch the Shuttle now.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on Projects Alexandria/Enterprise:

I have created a RSS 1.0.2 folder for them. So far there are only a few issues to resolve. I checked on the Enterprise craft but the parts no longer connect. I need to spend a fair amount of time "reversing" various connection nodes for the new directional node stack system. It can be a bit tricky figuring out which ones need to reverse since both sides are important, and not all the nodes are wrong. So basically you get the complete matrix of four possibilities:

1. part A good, part B good - nothing to do

2. part A good, part B bad - need to figure out which side is wrong

3. part A bad, part B good - need to figure out which side is wrong

4. part A bad, part B bad - worst case since you can fix one side and still not know if this is case 2, 3 or 4 yet

Just wanted to say this is the single most informative video series I think I've ever seen on the topic of spaceflight, and I've seen a few. The amount of detail you put into each and every one of your videos is quite frankly awe-inspiring, and I wait with baited breath the resumption of the series.

​When can we expect an Alexandria Episode?

Realism Overhaul and RSS just got updated. Give him a week or two. I am sure our patience will be rewarded. Otherwise.........the kerbal death machine might have to come back ;)

Congratulations Bob, you deserve it.

Your creations are beautifully, and I love de comments and explanations and details, on all vessels and manoeuvres.

Very entertaining.

Since I cannot play KSP, due to laptop overheating. I spend my time watching how others play it.

Your Oscar B Awards video, also delivered me, new channels.

Thanks for doing this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.