help me for my school project. please :(

hello guys, im here to ask you something. Well, im ordering a 6V 3.5 W 583 mAh solar panel. for the storage battery, im using 4 1.2V 1500mAh rechargeable batteries. so the total are 4.8 V 6000mAh storage. and as you can see, my solar panel voltage is 1.2 V greater than my batteries. the question is, anyone knows how to reduce my panel voltage ? i really need this problem solved :(

Short answer: If they're NiCds, use a series resistor & basic ohms law.

Longer answer:

If they're NiCd or NiMH batteries, you don't really need to worry about the voltage, so long as it's greater than the charged voltage of the battteries.

What matters is charge *current*, and not over-charging the cells.

Ensure you stay below the maximum charge rate specification for the cells you are using, generally specified as a fraction of cell capacity in mAh.

To charge NiCd & NiMH cells properly, you really need a delta-peak (voltage) or temperature sensor charging controller to detect when they're 'done'. Otherwise 'bad things' can happen, in the worst case - explosions, I kid you not.

If they're NiCd cells (NOT NiMH) you can be really cheap, and just use a super low 'trickle' charge rate.

Here's a cheat sheet I found on the 'net: looks about right to me.

Lead-acid is easier, since cell voltage is fairly linear with charge state. All you really need is a constant voltage approx 1.5v higher than the nominal battery voltage, a reverse polarity diode and a charge rate within spec.

I'm not sure what you're using this for, or whether weight is an issue, but using a 6v SLA battery will probably make life somewhat easier.

Store bought solar car battery 'trickle' chargers really are as simple as a panel, a diode and a pair of alligator clips :)

I used to charge 7.2v NiCd battery packs from a 12v auto battery - ammeter and a length of toaster element in series to limit the current to maximum charge rate spec. Full charge detection by holding hand on battery pack :)

Not overly good for them, but it works.

Edited by steve_v

'just' is relative.

There are many 'NiMH smart charge controller' ICs out there, (such as the MAX712) but implementation can be non-trivial depending on your level of electronics foo.

A charge controller IC may not work as well as you hope either, as most are designed to operate from a constant voltage supply. A solar panel is anything but constant & I have never tried this myself.

You could just limit the charge current to <1/10 C, where C is the capacity of your cells - in this case 1500mAh as you are connecting them in series to get 4.8v (not 6000mAh @ 1.2v as it would be in parallel - NB. NiCd/NiMH cells in parallel is a bad idea anyways), but you will reduce the lifetime of the cells.

Unfortunately a 580mA panel falls smack between 'really really slow, not good for the cells but you'll get away with it' and 'fast charge, where delta-peak detection works well'. This sucks, as there really is no easy answer, NiMH batteries are a pain in the ass.

You may find more knowledgeable answers on an electronics forum, I'm an industrial electrician so most of the stuff I work with is a little bigger than this ;)

Why is this not easy?

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.