Save the Probe!

Breaking News! The space program has launched a probe (bundled with two sets both made of a Mystery Goo and Science Jr.) to a hyperbolic Mün encounter with their limited technology! Sound good, right? Well, no. The probe ran out of fuel while trying to get a closer encounter, so it can't be recovered. While the first set of science was transmitted, the second is still stored on the probe. The space program was thinking about docking with it, and it got very far in development to the point where they had to use the imaginary launch escape system on the manned rocket chosen for the mission when they said no to the docking. There were two major reasons for this: 1. The probe had no docking port. 2. They weren't advanced enough to have docking ports. And, yeah.

So, the space center purposed they'd get to the probe in some other way.

The Challenge: (Surprisingly not save the probe, but) Get all the science from the probe by taking it on EVA and return it to Kerbin. EVA means a manned mission, so get your kerbal(s) home safely too. Missions are graded on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being best. Provide an imagur album with at the stats of your rocket after each critical moment in the mission. Part clipping is okay, but glitch exploits are not ok in flight.

Oh, and last but not least, to add to the pressure, you are very low on the tech tree to the point where you don't have klaws or even solar panels!

Cheers, rainup9.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6kMiFN2UFJobU1HTzFWTEo4cTg/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: One of the factors in your score is how many parts you unlock before hand. To have proof, show me the tech tree you have just before conducting the mission. And, thanks again SRV Ron, for making this challenge come true!

EDIT2: This challenge is outdated, and I don't plan on updating it. So yea, I guess this means the end for my challenge. This doesn't mean I want the mods to close the thread, but I don't think many people are going to care about this challenge with the new beta drifting about, and this challenge being in 0.25. Well, with that said, bye first challenge. I'LL MISS YOU!! ;.;

Edited by RAINCRAFTER
The End.

According to the challenge, you only need to intercept the probe, send a Kerbal on EVA to retrieve the data, and return him safely to Kerbal as quickly as possible with limited tech.

Raincrafter; It might be easiest to just provide the zipped Save File of the specific challenge, with the name "Save The Probe," where you left the probe stranded in Mun orbit. Google Drive is not downloading the complete folder, only the individual files found in the sub folders. That way, everyone starts where you left off on the tech tree, difficulty level, and game time. The challenge then is the person that can complete the mission in the shortest additional game time from the save becomes the leader. That way, there is no advantage in unlocking additional technology before conducting the mission.

Edited by SRV Ron

That took care of the ease to drop into the saves folder. Now, to build a intercept rocket to retrieve the data still on board.

2mAR1R6.jpg

The challenge, retrieve the data stored on board, not the probe itself. That takes a Kerbal on EVA to do the mission.

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.