Looking for general guidance for MechJeb replacement/supplemental mods.

JamesL86

Hello folks. I have been a long time player of KSP but I am likely not a typical player. At least I don't think I am. I would define myself as a craft designer. I probably spend 95% of my time in the game creating craft. In all the hundreds of hours I have played, I have never been able to really get a handle on manually controlling craft due to what I will simply refer to as "mental limitations". As such, MechJeb has been a staple for me since the beginning.

That being said, I would like a bit more "manual" control over what I commonly refer to as "computer data input" for flight control. Now I will admit that perhaps I have not fully figured out how to get the most out of MechJeb, and that very well could be my problem. I know that sometimes I am a bit lost as to what certain things mean and continue to be confused when I try to look up information about rocketry etc.

In any case, it would be nice to get some guidance and suggestions on how I could get more out of MechJeb and if their are any good flight control automation tools I could use to supplement MechJeb's functionality.

If it helps, I mainly use SSTO planes (and sometimes SSTO rockets) to deliver personnel to orbit while mostly using conventional multi-stage rockets to deliver payloads and non-return spacecraft. As such, the biggest things I need help with would be better spaceplane/lander landing guidance. MechJeb is pretty good at all the other bits, though if anything exists that might perform certain piloting tasks better, I'm open to the suggestion.

Lastly, I have tried using some of the alternative aerodynamics mods (FAR, NEAR, Stock Drag Fix) and though I greatly appreciate the idea of having FAR or NEAR, I find that MechJeb, even with the optional models available, does not work as well with those installed. FAR is also excruciatingly complicated for me to fully utilize due to my aforementioned "mental limitations". Having been unable to get fully back into KSP for quite some time, I am not even sure if Stock Drag Fix is still functional so I have been trying to get by with NEAR. I have tried searching for it but I have some trouble navigating around the forums at times and thus have been unable to locate the thread.

So, I hope this post makes sense. I seem to have a far better grasp of english and grammer than I have of aerodynamics. Ha ha!

Try kOS and KSP Flight Computer, both of which provide programmable autopilots. You'll almost certainly need to reduce the control authority for FAR/NEAR.

For FAR and NEAR, though, the solution is almost always manual control. You could try Extended Trim, which lets you set trim more easily and might make manual flight easier.

Not really... can't help you much without a better sense of what you feel is lacking or where you want improvement.

Like I said in my original post, the main areas are gonna be spaceplane/lander landing guidance but anything that might improve on anything MechJeb can do in general would be nice to try. A lot of what MechJeb does works pretty well but I think its mainly atmospheric flight is where MechJeb is the most lacking. Even links to videos or other media on how to get the most out of MechJeb might help. Some of the advanced features it has still confuse me even after all the hours I have played.

If you want learn to manually launch craft I'd suggest you keep MechJeb for now. Instead of letting MechJeb control the launch limit it guiding you. Enable the visual guide path and disable things like throttle control and corrective steering.

Now MechJeb will just show you where to aim your craft but you'll have to do that yourself.

FAR can be extremely overwhelming for an aerodynamic novice, get NEAR instead. NEAR has the same aerodynamics but is less complicated and much more forgiving.

Yes Master Tao, I like that one a great deal. Its very much like using a real autopilot like in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Tex_NL I have tried that a few times over the last year or so. Its quite difficult of me to actually do any atmospheric flight, with or without NEAR/FAR, though I do keep trying. I'm not actually new to KSP, just to the forums. I have been playing since .20. I just have issues with motor control at times which is what makes the physical skills of the game difficult, and sometimes impossible to execute. I also can't seem to wrap my head around some of the technical information involved with aerodynamics and rocketry. It kind of sucks but I am not one to complain much. I design craft that work well and do my best to let MechJeb do the flying. The part I tend to have the most problem with is airplane/spaceplane landing. So much so that most of the time I do not even attempt it and go with a vertical parachute landing instead. I have sort of the same issue with my vertical SSTOs though, except its MechJeb not working like it use to that is causing me the problem. MechJeb use to have a vertical landing accuracy of about 30 meters but now, it does not seem to work at all. So I still end up using the unpowered parachute landing option for vertical SSTOs just like I do with planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.