[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Ehm, we need a 5m probe core to land the first stage. I guess it could be a super thin blue line. How much volume does a computer need? Fill it with battery power.

You know, what's funny is I didn't really think about it, since I use the radial probe core in MRS when testing these. LOL. But yes, I can add that. :)

You know, what's funny is I didn't really think about it, since I use the radial probe core in MRS when testing these. LOL. But yes, I can add that. :)

The problem is, the radial probe core has no built in SAS. I too am stuck trying to build stock probe disks into my rockets for manual stage recovery.

I would love to see the radial probe core gain at least stability and possibly more later in the tech tree. (Wrong thread for a request but hey, you mentioned it here :P)

I'm having an issue with the 5m docking rings where they are being far more fragile than expected. I'm lifting a USI FTT Starlifter tug section, and I'm ripping the docking ports away from both the booster and the tug, and also ripping them apart from each other as I start to turn after the vertical ascent by the SRB boosters.

If it were flexing, or causing pogo, I would understand that, but just outright breaking seems like something isn't set right with the ports.

The problem is, the radial probe core has no built in SAS. I too am stuck trying to build stock probe disks into my rockets for manual stage recovery.

I would love to see the radial probe core gain at least stability and possibly more later in the tech tree. (Wrong thread for a request but hey, you mentioned it here :P)

Yeah, I could maybe make a second variant later in the tree. :)

I'm having an issue with the 5m docking rings where they are being far more fragile than expected. I'm lifting a USI FTT Starlifter tug section, and I'm ripping the docking ports away from both the booster and the tug, and also ripping them apart from each other as I start to turn after the vertical ascent by the SRB boosters.

If it were flexing, or causing pogo, I would understand that, but just outright breaking seems like something isn't set right with the ports.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do much about that. I think KSP isn't scaling the docking strength as much as it scales normal joints, and that probably won't be fixed until they add stock docking ports in larger scales. Maybe I can "trick" it by setting to be a larger "joint diameter"? Dunno, it might be worth some experimenting. Man, that's the one thing I hate about making parts packs. There are a lot of limitations and bugs in KSP that we have to work around, and the only time you know it'll work perfectly is if it's doing something exactly the same as the stock parts, at the same size.

Actually, the issue is not severe. Now that we can offset parts, I just sink the probe core into the decoupler, however, I suspect it weakens the rocket to have a piece in the stack with smaller nodes.

Actually, the issue is not severe. Now that we can offset parts, I just sink the probe core into the decoupler, however, I suspect it weakens the rocket to have a piece in the stack with smaller nodes.

Yes, they will be weaker nodes, so a probe core still has a place here. I'm thinking a probe core with a decent amount of battery and reaction torque would work well.

Holy cow... Awesome!

Should have been 0.6.1. I hope it won't result in automatic mod-handlers doing endless update loops.

Should be OK. It just means that people running 0.6.1 will keep getting alerted that their version is out of date, if they're using AVC. I don't think it'll break CKAN, but I'm not 100% sure. The CKAN configs I gave them use KerbalStuff as the authoritative source, so that should be OK. I should probably get a clean update out quickly though. Man, I really rushed that one too much.

Heh, you mean just a plain nose-cone? We have a fueled one in the pack, and technically you can just take the fuel out if you don't want it there. :)

Are you saying you have a nose cone for the largest STOCK part size? That's what I'm looking for. Either fueled or not...I'm not picky. :) I personally use Turbo Nisu's fueled nose cones and other bits, they only fit the rockomax size and down though. Those huge tanks just look like ass without a cap on them.

Are you saying you have a nose cone for the largest STOCK part size? That's what I'm looking for. Either fueled or not...I'm not picky. :) I personally use Turbo Nisu's fueled nose cones and other bits, they only fit the rockomax size and down though. Those huge tanks just look like ass without a cap on them.

Yep, that's right. :) It's a fueled 3.75m nose cone. Because it's fueled, I classified it under fuel tanks rather than aerodynamics. That was always a problem for me too, trying to use adapters with smaller nose cones, it didn't always look very good. Now mind you, I didn't make a 5m one, at least not yet, so from there you still need an adapter. But this cone will fit on the stock NASA parts.

I wish there were smaller versions of the radial decoupler (sy-rd3) with the built-in separatron rocket. Maybe a 1/2 scale and a 1/4 scale version (with lower detachment impulse).

You know you can just right-click and set detachment impulse, thrust, and solid fuel amount, right?

I wish there were smaller versions of the radial decoupler (sy-rd3) with the built-in separatron rocket. Maybe a 1/2 scale and a 1/4 scale version (with lower detachment impulse).
You know you can just right-click and set detachment impulse, thrust, and solid fuel amount, right?

Yeah, that's the thing. They're really meant for the big rockets. You can scale down the thrust and fuel amount in the VAB/SPH for sure. If they look too huge on smaller rocket parts, technically there's always Tweakscale. If there's enough interest, I can always add mini-versions of them with a smaller physical size. But lower thrust/propellant? Doable in-game when building your rocket. :)

OK, I went ahead and released 0.7. I decided to include the rigid landing-leg "ring" piece and let people try it out. The suspension-system on the individual legs still isn't working yet. This leg system is pretty inferior compared to how the real legs should work, in pretty much every way except part-count. It's rigid, so you have to land gently (less than 3m/s seems OK), plus you have to add it to action groups yourself since it's just an animated part, rather than real landing legs. I expect it to be more of a cosmetic piece than anything, and will work better as "launching legs" than "landing legs".

Also added the probe cores, and multi-mode operation to the M5 and R5.

0.7 (2014-12-27) - Beta
- Removed the "ASAS" from the Radial Reaction Wheel texture, and slightly enhanced the gloss.
- Added multi-mode operation to M5 and R5 engines, allowing for center engine cut-off, like Saturn-V.
- Added 3.75m and 5m advanced probe cores ("Stack Guidance Systems")
- Added 5m landing-leg "ring". Warning: Must land lightly, probably 3m/s or slower. Fragility is a known issue.

Some good questions to ask everyone:

1. How well is it working for you so far? Any problems?

2. What would you like to see added in the future? Even larger (7.5m for instance) parts? More SRB/Decoupler options? Or are you satisfied that it fills the required niche?

No 7.5m parts. I think it should only go up to 5m. I think you should make the larger SRBs only one nozzle (the 4 nozzles is a little unrealistic). Definitely add a RS-25 cluster for the SLS. Also add a tank that resembles the SLS core stage. Other than that, i'm definitely loving this mod.

Thanks a bunch for adding Engine Ignitor compatability. It's appreciated. Would it be possible to add external ignitor to your heavy launch clamps? At the moment, a smaller launch clamp is necessary to ignite many of your larger lower stage engines.

No 7.5m parts. I think it should only go up to 5m. I think you should make the larger SRBs only one nozzle (the 4 nozzles is a little unrealistic). Definitely add a RS-25 cluster for the SLS. Also add a tank that resembles the SLS core stage. Other than that, i'm definitely loving this mod.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if I went on to 7.5m, it would probably be a separate pack. I'll think about SLS parts. So far the engine/tank line-up is pretty good though. :)

I've gone back and forth on the large SRB thing a few times, as to whether I want to rework that. I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks a bunch for adding Engine Ignitor compatability. It's appreciated. Would it be possible to add external ignitor to your heavy launch clamps? At the moment, a smaller launch clamp is necessary to ignite many of your larger lower stage engines.

Oh yes, I didn't think to look into what it does on clamps. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by NecroBones

I got a contract to test the heavy launch clamp while landed on the Mun. While the payout was reasonable, I figured it would be quite impossible. Is it something you can disable?

I think you should make the larger SRBs only one nozzle (the 4 nozzles is a little unrealistic).

Minuteman-I (all-solid) had four nozzles, however, newer versions have only one, to make steering easier.

MM1_CCAFS2009RK_1.jpg

And so did the all the Polaris missiles:1024px-Polaris_A3_ballistic_missile_upper_stages.jpg

Which brings to: The large SRBs can be difficult to control. I don't know why the stock SRBs don't gimbal, but the space shuttle SRBs did most of the initial steering by gimballing. Maybe add some to the SpaceY ones too?

Edited by NBZ