why does my rocket spin uncontrollably??? need help

http://imgur.com/a/tel85#0 hi guys, requesting help with my rocket, initially the game worked fine for me, now occasionally my navball seems to invert itself at times ie that orange line that points down will flip up, i have a feeling its my rocket design but i dnt know what or why and also a bigger issue, my rocket begins to spin uncontrollably wildly from about 1000 mtres after liftoff, I have no idea about this one, as am a new player to the game, i am using all stock parts no mods.. thx- Haxsis

I HAVE SUPPLIED IMages for reference, i am using the kerbal x stock booster with a payload of my own configuration if the images dnt help, i have included a link to my imgur folder with several shots from various angles for reference

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Haxsis
embedded album

It would be very useful to have the images here in the thread.

In any case, the most likely problem is that your payload is asymmetric, causing a misalignment of CoT (Center of Thrust) with CoM (Center of Mass), causing it to spin. You'd be surprised how even a tiny misalignment can cause a major torque (spinning force) on your rocket. The other thing I can think of offhand is that you might've accidentally messed up the staging order or fuel lines of the Kerbal X booster, causing asymmetric fuel drain, and thus a CoT/CoM misalignment.

hi guys, requesting help with my rocket, initially the game worked fine for me, now occasionally my navball seems to invert itself at times ie that orange line that points down will flip up, i have a feeling its my rocket design but i dnt know what or why and also a bigger issue, my rocket begins to spin uncontrollably wildly from about 1000 mtres after liftoff, I have no idea about this one, as am a new player to the game, i am using all stock parts no mods.. thx- Haxsis

I HAVE SUPPLIED IMages for reference, i am using the kerbal x stock booster with a payload of my own configuration if the images dnt help

I don't see any images, so thats one thing..

But I think it maybe an issue with the load being to heavy. If the top of the rocket is heavier then the bottom the rocket is going to flip out.

If you take a look at this thread, it'll explain how to take screenshots and upload them so that we can see. "Attaching" them in the forum isn't supported, so you must use an external image host such as www.imgur.com: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92230-Stock-Support-Bug-Reporting-Guide

It sounds like you are starting to build more complex ships. So I'm sure what you are running into is some of the more common problems. However, there are a lot of reasons why your rocket could be spinning, and there are lots of directions that your rocket can spin. So we could offer lots of suggestions and ideas, but a .craft file or a picture would really help us give you specific advice.

Cheers,

~Claw

I run into this problem constantly.

Just strut the rocket up near the engines, things on radial decouplers etc.

If that doesn't work, just attach some winglets with control surfaces, that'll give you good roll control, which I think is the problem here.

ok, first can we see pictures of the craft?

second, in my many builds of massive rockets, you need to make sure that every part is lined up perfectly when you build it. A small angle on an engine can cause massive problems. Also, even if you have SAS on, some engines don't have gimbals, making them hard to control. If you have one engine it can't control its own roll, but if you have 4 engines they can rotate the whole craft with their gimbals. This helps craft stability hugely. So try to build straight and build gimballing and slightly wide. It helps.

Wn6fBmu.jpg

Case in point: Cira VI. It is absolutely MASSIVE. but it works, for these reasons:

-LOTS OF STRUTS

-Wide-body and gimballing engines mean more control even though the SAS of this ship is essentially worthless.

-All the bodies are very carefully built, so they all point exactly down. It's harder than it sounds with a ship this big.

sorry i made this quick post at 4 in the morning and had to leave for work before i got a chance to upload them, hang on ill do that now

as far as i know, this payload may actually be lighter than the stock station the game supplies you and i was able to haul that up to orbit with no drama's

ive just gotten over the whole making perfect orbits drama, so im ready to start ferrying craft up to put a station together, which means im working on building boosters of my own config that fly how i need them to atm, all stock parts of course though, pictures are now included in a link to my imgur file, theres several there for reference

Edited by Claw
multipost

the images have been supplied now, i was late for work as i typed it, so i ran out of time to supply the link to the images as i hadnt uploaded them to imgur at that point, ill upload a an image of the CoM, CoL and CoT to help further, by all logic i have a feeling this design shouldnt be spinning the way it is, if you can help diagnose the problem , a redesign by your specs would be appreciated :) THX

-----

oddly enough it seems to be working now thank you, please explain this witchcraft and why is it working now?? so i can avert similar issues in future

Edited by Claw

i might have overlooked them in the pic but do you have batteries on ther ship? you'll lose control if you run out of electricity

be advised that the solar panels are blocking some of your crew hatches. whoever you put in there at launch is not getting out again

Edited by Belphegor

i might have overlooked them in the pic but do you have batteries on ther ship? you'll lose control if you run out of electricity

be advised that the solar panels are blocking some of your crew hatches. whoever you put in there at launch is not getting out again

i have a decent sized battery to keep the ship running till orbit, plus the panels arent blocking my crew panels, only the viewports, i havent tried going for an eva with panels over the holes yet but i dnt think it should inhibit them that much

You need struts on the ring of boosters. They are twisting on the one low radical decoupler. One even looks crooked on the first posted pic. In addition, the fuel line on the asparagus setup is causing uneven bracing. A brace on the opposite side will help control the spinning.

Although hard to see, here is how to brace an asparagus design. Bring all braces to the center tank. Don't forget that a fuel line acts as a brace, so place one opposite of the fuel line to stop your rocket from spinning.

0x77eoW.jpg

Even if braced, if one breaks, it can be disastrous as in the example below. Note the yaw, pitch, roll indicator. Cross bracing is used for onion and ring designs.

A broken strut caused this;

3X2T58u.jpg

Note proper operation with no twist issues showing on the yaw, pitch, roll indicator.

oNpUkEV.jpg

In orbit.

cxeADtM.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

ok, first can we see pictures of the craft?

second, in my many builds of massive rockets, you need to make sure that every part is lined up perfectly when you build it. A small angle on an engine can cause massive problems. Also, even if you have SAS on, some engines don't have gimbals, making them hard to control. If you have one engine it can't control its own roll, but if you have 4 engines they can rotate the whole craft with their gimbals. This helps craft stability hugely. So try to build straight and build gimballing and slightly wide. It helps.

http://i.imgur.com/Wn6fBmu.jpg

Case in point: Cira VI. It is absolutely MASSIVE. but it works, for these reasons:

-LOTS OF STRUTS

-Wide-body and gimballing engines mean more control even though the SAS of this ship is essentially worthless.

-All the bodies are very carefully built, so they all point exactly down. It's harder than it sounds with a ship this big.

You're just trying to show off that craft. XD (Must admit, it is awesome.)

thank you for all your help everyone, the issue has been rectified i was trying to control the ship from the cupola which i had faced upside down for my own design reasons, im not sure why it spun wildy like it did because the moment i controlled the ship from the highest point ie the landercan the issue was rectified and flew normally again, however once finally flying my ship into orbit for the first time(or tried to), it became obvious that i was short by 1 mid size tank of fuel for the second stage to adjust my orbit for a rendevous which after adding made the entire ship too heavy to get off the ground for more than a few 100 metres, because of this issue, the entire design is now obsolete. and calls for a new, more powerful rocket design I apologise for wasting everyones time, but my issue with the rocket spin control has been rectified and i am now more informed towards future builds, I will continue to post pictures and stories of future missions and builds on my profile for your perusal, I hope that you will follow me throughout my KSP experience as I slowly and surely reach for the heavens

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.