3 Successful Mun Runners

Hi I\'m a bit of a lurker here. Love this game to bits.

Here are 3 of my ship designs for Mun missions. Each one of these I have taken successfully to the Mun and made safe return. The upper stage is the same on all 3 and used right is perfectly capable of a Mun landing with enough fuel left to boost the Command module stage out of Mun\'s gravity well. In each of them too the intention is that the last stage before the lander will also have enough fuel to brake out of Mun orbit for the landing. You should then be able to ride that stage down to about 2 - 5km before staging and using the puny lander motor.

Archer Ic is a bit of a beast. It does not like to fly straight and pitches left slightly under acceleration. Nothing that can\'t be dealt with. It is a beast though, its first stage (sorry I think the other way round to the KSP) is capable of lift off to TMI all on its own. I even once had enough fuel left in it to do my Munar braking maneuver. It is real brute force and ignorance approach though. To paraphrase Douglas Adams 'Its big and white and hangs in the air in the same way that bricks don\'t'.

Archer II is a bit More refined. It flies a lot easier though has a tendency to roll Anti clockwise while maneuvering. It has no where near the lift energy of the Archer Ic so you have to be more accurate with your burns to arrive with enough fuel for the Mun landing.

Archer II Heavy is an attempt to redress the short comings of the Archer II. It has an extra 9 fuel tanks for its boost stage and 12 solid rocket boosters to assist in getting it moving. It does work pretty well. It still can\'t match the Archer Ic for pure power but it is a lot easier to control.

These are all made with standard parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.