F-15E [Aim-9X] [Thread downvoted for Navy hate, eh? XD] :P [v. 0.25]

andrew123

Just to remind the navy of its inferior tomcat...

I kid, I kid... :D

Introducing, the USAF F-15E Strike Eagle! This should still work in 0.90, so just open it up in the SPH editor before flying it.

XaLn9Zw.png

Here's some earlier configurations (It achieved well over 1000 m/s):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

With functioning drop tanks. Meant to extend range, and they're functioning perfectly.

Now here's the latest configuration!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sinyf15mi4ygxgl/F-15E-2%20X%20A2A%204.craft?dl=0

The drop tanks drain in this order: Center, then conformal.

It's also armed with AIM-9X missiles.

NiNaQ99.jpg

Quite a maneuverable missile.

The missiles are also activated after you drop them, and will start out rotated 90 degrees.

Kill some migs!

Edited by andrew123

120 units is enough to get it to intercept altitude and up to speed. :P That's the main point of the drop tanks, get the jet to cruising configuration before switching to the internal tanks.

PS: That explosion is a tomcat. :D

Watch the final days of your precious tomcat slip by... XD

6FrulCn.jpg

120 units is enough to get it to intercept altitude and up to speed. :P That's the main point of the drop tanks, get the jet to cruising configuration before switching to the internal tanks.

PS: That explosion is a tomcat. :D

Watch the final days of your precious tomcat slip by... XD

http://i.imgur.com/6FrulCn.jpg

Totally not the tomcat's fault... it's still the best plane ever. And it still holds longest range kill in tests... which is exactly what the navy should have. IDK why everyone's hating on the thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix

EDIT: Normally i don't defend the USN - But the Tomcat is an exception. And i WILL NOT forgive them for replacing it with it's slow cousin, the F-18, no matter how fancy the Avionics.

Totally not the tomcat's fault... it's still the best plane ever. And it still holds longest range kill in tests... which is exactly what the navy should have. IDK why everyone's hating on the thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix

The fleet-defense role was relegated to the Super Bug and the AMRAAM, and the latest AMRAAM's have similar effective ranges to the Phoenix. The Tomcat was simply a victim of fiscal constraints and evolving technology... not to mention the terrible engines it carried. :P

Also, the FBW was more extensively utilized on the F-15, which has a more unstable design compared to the Tomcat. This allows for, at least nominally, better maneuverability, and the F-15 is also more cost-effective.

The navy can make do with the F-35C (which is honestly terrible for the role) for fleet defense, at least until their F/A-XX.

The fleet-defense role was relegated to the Super Bug and the AMRAAM, and the latest AMRAAM's have similar effective ranges to the Phoenix. The Tomcat was simply a victim of fiscal constraints and evolving technology... not to mention the terrible engines it carried. :P

Also, the FBW was more extensively utilized on the F-15, which has a more unstable design compared to the Tomcat. This allows for, at least nominally, better maneuverability, and the F-15 is also more cost-effective.

The navy can make do with the F-35C (which is honestly terrible for the role) for fleet defense, at least until their F/A-XX.

yeah, I mean, since when did the navy go with single- engine airplanes over long ranges? One failure and that's a billion dollar wreck on the bottom of the ocean.

yeah, I mean, since when did the navy go with single- engine airplanes over long ranges? One failure and that's a billion dollar wreck on the bottom of the ocean.

Since the bench-warmers in the House of Representatives decided to axe the Navy's ATF fighter. They'll have to wait for the sixth-gen interceptors under development. :P

Naval aviation is a joke. :P

http://i.imgur.com/YPm51R6.jpg

I find that comment paired with your username "Nimitz" a little ironic haha

Also, I don't get why you're all hyping up the F-15. It's hardly ever used in real combat missions these days (by the U.S.), compared to, say, the F/A-18 (which is the main jet raining pain on ISIS right now:wink:)

Also, I don't get why you're all hyping up the F-15. It's hardly ever used in real combat missions these days (by the U.S.), compared to, say, the F/A-18 (which is the main jet raining pain on ISIS right now:wink:)

The F/A-18 is mainly used due to:

1. Ability to operate on American-owned airstrips, AKA supercarriers. This minimizes political obstacles.

2. Lower airframe-age. Some F-15's started crashing due to metal fatigue. :(

The USAF has some good Teen-series jets, but they're all aging. We just like the F-15 due to its combat record. (Over 100 kills for no losses.)

That's not to say the Super Bug has a dismal service record. :)

I like bashing the Tomcat. :P

I like bashing the Tomcat. :P

I don't exactly like bashing the Tomcat, but it wasn't a cost effective jet. The F-35C that'll succeed it, however, is worse.

Edited by andrew123

You don't need to kill it in air to air, just outrun it and wait for it to break by itself. :P

Back on topic, that's a really nice replica you got there. Btw, what is its point of no return fuel percentage after dropping the (drop) tanks?

the current airframes of the F-15 are showing signs of aging. Some of the global militaries that USE the Eagle are being forced to ground many of them due to age. The cockpit/nose section of the bird <ahead of the intakes> has structural issues that a few years ago brought several aircraft out of the sky and forced the aforementioned grounding of about HALF of ALL F-15s world wide. While, the Eagle WAS a superior fighter in its day, and still packs a punch, its days of seeing use may be drawing to an end. As to the F-35, when you build 1 air frame that can handle STOL/VTOL and naval operations, you of course LIMIT the task specific capabilities of the bird. The F-35 is a victim of "Jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. If you want a truly superior fighter, then design it for that ROLE for a specific BRANCH of the military. Do NOT design 1 bird for the airforce and then TRY to make it fit the needs of the Marine Corp AND the Navy all at once. The Navy btw, is a superior fighting force. Id like to see the USAF take its airbases and plop one in the middle of the ocean in a few hours notice. The Navy can do just that. Navy is superior at its tasks, the Airforce for its. So on and so forth. Lets be real, they all Serve and Protect America, and they should get the respect they are do. Any current or former Military on this forum, you have my thanks for your service.

You don't need to kill it in air to air, just outrun it and wait for it to break by itself. :P

Back on topic, that's a really nice replica you got there. Btw, what is its point of no return fuel percentage after dropping the (drop) tanks?

If you go about in cruise configuration (About 14,000 m at 1000 m/s), approximately 40%. I haven't tested it beyond that, but the different loadouts should affect that performance figure.

Also, the F-15 is a master of air combat. :) The Strike Eagle, however, is also a master of strike missions. :D

You can't hide if the predator can jump you. :P

the current airframes of the F-15 are showing signs of aging. Some of the global militaries that USE the Eagle are being forced to ground many of them due to age. The cockpit/nose section of the bird <ahead of the intakes> has structural issues that a few years ago brought several aircraft out of the sky and forced the aforementioned grounding of about HALF of ALL F-15s world wide. While, the Eagle WAS a superior fighter in its day, and still packs a punch, its days of seeing use may be drawing to an end. As to the F-35, when you build 1 air frame that can handle STOL/VTOL and naval operations, you of course LIMIT the task specific capabilities of the bird. The F-35 is a victim of "Jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. If you want a truly superior fighter, then design it for that ROLE for a specific BRANCH of the military. Do NOT design 1 bird for the airforce and then TRY to make it fit the needs of the Marine Corp AND the Navy all at once. The Navy btw, is a superior fighting force. Id like to see the USAF take its airbases and plop one in the middle of the ocean in a few hours notice. The Navy can do just that. Navy is superior at its tasks, the Airforce for its. So on and so forth. Lets be real, they all Serve and Protect America, and they should get the respect they are do. Any current or former Military on this forum, you have my thanks for your service.

That's a task for the intercontinental B-1 and B-2. :) KC-135's are pretty useful. :P

Edited by andrew123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.