Transfer purchase to steam?

datdenkikniet

If you bought it before some specific date, you could transfer it. If you bought it later, you cant. The info is on the ksp site (the FAQ section or whatever they decided to name it).

The date was sometime in 2013 so if you bought it this year dont bother.

Because Steam can't make any money out of providing digital download support for game licenses they didn't sell. It's a bit like the deals car companies do when they collaborate to develop the same car but sell it under two different badges with two different names - you still can't take your Ford to a VW garage and expect them to carry out repairs under the Ford warranty, even if they sell the exact same car but call it something else. A good old UK example was the Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra people carrier.

It doesn't matter who actually owns the intellectual property of the game, it matters who you bought your copy from.

there is no notable difference between the Steam version of the game and the ordinary version purchased from kerbalspaceprogram.com. The only thing I found was the screenshot key is not what is listed in the wiki.

If you want to launch it through Steam, you can add your current install as "Add a non-Steam game" and use Steam to launch it. That's how I access the 64-bit version when I want to try it. You won't have news and links associated with it, but that's pretty minor, especially if you get most of your fix from the forums. It won't have some of the meta-game functions available either. If you do have a Steam copy and want to launch it independent of Steam, just make a shortcut to the ordinary launcher provided in the Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program folder. It even has updater functionality. It makes no difference to the game.

I know there is no difference, I've come that far.

I just like having it in my steam library (feels better for some reason)

Just add it as a non-Steam game and it will show up and run just like you'd bought it through steam. The only difference is it cant be updated through steam(have to do it the way you do now) and it wont link to the store page and news ticker like steam games do. You can still launch it from your library and get the steam overlay however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.