Long March 4B launches in 3 hours

Kryten

Launch is from the Taiyuan launch centre in northern China, carrying the Chinese-Brazilian CBERS-4 satellite for Brazil. CBERS-4 is an earth observation satellite intended to measure environmental conditions and changes in Brazilian territory (e.g. deforestation in the Amazon), and is a replacement for the identical CBERS-3 lost in a launch failure last year. The launch is to be streamed by INPE (the Brazilian space agency) here; note the stream will only, as far as I can tell, work on internet explorer.

Launch time is to be 3:23 UCT/GMT.

The launch time is 3:26 UTC, right? Anyways, somebody should record this obscure launch with a screen recorder. I'm not sure if I can reliably do so on the first and only try (fullscreen issues with screen recorders, etc.) Whether this launch succeeds or (God forbid) fails, I'm guessing there won't be much video of it released - China is fairly secretive, and I don't know much about Brazil's space program's online presence.

Anyways, I have the stream running in Chrome with the VLC Media Player plugin. IE doesn't work for me with Windows Media Player, at least on Windows 8. (I have one of the newer versions of IE, IDK which one.)

The audio sounds jumbled when they talk. It was clear for a bit and now sounds all jumbled. You can tell that somebody is talking.

Livestreams are rare, but China release video and images of most launches, including the failed CBERS-3 attempt. The CBERS program tends to get a lot of coverage in Brazil, and the site's already been knocked down by traffic once.

Double post (EDIT - or not) for reasons of unrelated topic - they just showed booster jettison despite the fact that this rocket actually has no strap-on boosters AFAIK.

Edited by GigaG

Double post for update - Animation of core stage jettison (really first stage jettison, no boosters IRL) - the animation seems to be the wrong kind of rocket, but the event sequence matched up with the fairing so it might be synced. But is the event sequence for this rocket or the other variant of Long March in the animation? I can't read the text - it is probably Portugese which I don't know and the video is lower quality and barely legible at all - so I don't know if there are any references to boosters.

Double post for update - Animation of core stage jettison (really first stage jettison, no boosters IRL) - the animation seems to be the wrong kind of rocket, but the event sequence matched up with the fairing so it might be synced. But is the event sequence for this rocket or the other variant of Long March in the animation?

The booster nosecones and overall shape don't match any flying model; it appears to a CZ-5, which isn't even supposed to fly until 2016. I'm curious to see what'll be revealed when the fairing pops off; Chang'e 5? The modular station core?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.